After almost 6,000 miles - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 9Likes

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
Darren, I don't understand it. My inseam is ~30" and I'm flat footed and my knees are bent.
I myself have a 30" inseam and my suspension set to 25 and my feet are on the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 06:16 PM

I think that it depends on your but, if you have a big but your legs will be higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	health-beauty-woman-weight-obesity-big_bum-bottoms-njun1432_low.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	203210  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I went out for while today, and just rode around town, trying different things. I have done the leaning to one side when coming to a stop, and that does work, "most" of the time. If I do anything, it will be with the seat. I will either have some foam taken out of the stock seat, or maybe look for an aftermarket seat. I did figure out some one thing that was making me uneasy when coming to a stop. It may not be right, but it helped me. When coming to a stop sign, or an intersection, and don't have to come to a complete stop, I don't down shift all the way to 1st gear. I have noticed that the gearing on the 1800 is a little different then the 1500. I don't know how to explain it, other then 1st gear on the 1800, is geared lower? I can't stay in 1st very long at all, other wise it gets real jerky. If I am coming to a complete stop, I am going to work on the leaning to the left, until I am completely stopped.
fossil92 and Chopin like this.

IBA #49906

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 08:48 PM

Garage
BD like several have said, it's going to take time, a lot of stop and go practice before you'll get the hang of this heavy bike. I'm short and can stand flat footed. Flat footed with one foot only, the left foot.

When coming to a full stop I sit forward on the seat so my leg has more length because the front of the seat isn't as wide as the middle or rearward part of the seat.

Do several slow speed U turns both to the left and right getting use to the weight.

I've logged 11000 miles on my wing and it's getting more comfortable for me.
BigDaddy and Chopin like this.

Mark & Audrey
IDMWT #83
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You're right Darren, 1st gear is like a tractor!
alwims likes this.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:55 PM

Darren, is the seat comfortable as is for long rides? If it is, try removing foam from the front area only.....that area where your thigh goes of the set and down to the pegs. But keep that comfortable riding zone.

Do you wear boots with thick soles. I think last year we had a rider with similar issues and simply got boots with thicker soles. I think he also used an insert of some kind under the heel.

There is a kit available to actually lower the bike. The website is http://www.lowerwingproducts.com/ The website has mounting instructions, pricing, and a warning about the effect on corner handling. This would be my last choice.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:58 AM

I have a new 2016 and have a 29 inch inseam. I do fine when solo but find more of a challenge when two up. I find I shift forward when coming to a stop so I get both feet down. I put both feet out, using the front brake only to come to a full stop. My biggest concern is stopping on ground that is sloped to the left. At a gas station that was left sloped, I put the side stand down, filled the tank, then almost could not get the bike up off the side stand. I've only put about 800 miles on the GW so far, and hope with time and miles to get more confident.

Retired U.S. Army and fully retired!
NRA Life Member
Former MSF Instructor
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:23 PM

1. Car tire on rear will lower it some.
2. New seat, more like a saddle, Corbin, for one.
3. You want that baby leaning on the kick stand. Mine was way too upright, most of the time and I modified the kick stand with some washers to make it lean more. I'd rather have to ask a passerby for assistance getting it off the kickstand than up off the ground when it blows over.

Richie
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Garage
Darren, I will agree that eh 1500 "feels" lower when riding compared to the 1800. But it does become far more nimble once the technique is acquired. It's for sure a matter of confidence and trusting in the bike to go where you look. Make sure you're looking where you want to go and not where you are at. Slow speed maneuvers and practice, practice, practice.
alwims likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I bought a pair of boots that make me level to the ground now , try that

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2015 GL1800 Candy Apple Red
2006 Victory Vegas
GWOF Member #9500
IDMWT #16
Original GWOF IB Trio Member (gordo,fossill,goldwingking)
AMA Member
NRA Member
A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot of gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode