Alternatives to a trike - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Alternatives to a trike

Talking with a friend the other day he mentioned that with his bad ankle he is having some real challenges in keeping his Goldwing 1500 up when stopped at a light or stop sign, and was considering converting his bike to a trike. But then, he said, he saw something on the internet that seemed a better solution, some type of outrigger wheels that come into play at very low speed. He told me about the LegUp device. I looked it up myself and it seems pretty interesting, but at $3,500 plus installation it is not cheap. But its still cheaper than a Trike conversion or buying a Can Am Spyder or something similar. I wondered if anyone on the forum has one of these and if it works as well as the promotional ad says it does.

Retired U.S. Army and fully retired!
NRA Life Member
Former MSF Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 10:50 PM

Garage
I have not used nor seen the legup on a wing. One other option would be a tow pack. I had one on my 1500 and I have one now on my 1800. You can find used ones out tere cheeper than a new one.

Roll Tide Roll !!!

Darkside Rear Tire: Federal FORMOZA FD2 175/60 R16 82H (GL1500)
Double Darkside-Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achilles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)
Darksider # 1147

97 Honda GL1500 SE
2005 Honda GL1800

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 12:08 AM

Vito, I've only seen the Leg-Up, and also another brand called Landing Gear, on their websites and youtube.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

What is a "tow pack"?

Retired U.S. Army and fully retired!
NRA Life Member
Former MSF Instructor
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 06:36 AM

http://towpacusa.com/
Steering is hard unless you also add a rake kit but, then the kit cannot be removed to ride as a 2 wheeler again.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
http://towpacusa.com/
Steering is hard unless you also add a rake kit but, then the kit cannot be removed to ride as a 2 wheeler again.
My 1500 and my 1800 does not have a rake kit on them and I have no problem with the steering. You just have to have it setup properly. I could take the towpac off in about 15 minutes and have the bike back to a two wheeler with no problems.

Roll Tide Roll !!!

Darkside Rear Tire: Federal FORMOZA FD2 175/60 R16 82H (GL1500)
Double Darkside-Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achilles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)
Darksider # 1147

97 Honda GL1500 SE
2005 Honda GL1800

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:40 AM
ETC

Garage
My best advice would be to be sure to test drive before you buy. I have checked out many of these kits and some like the landing gear work fine if the wheels are aligned properly.
The Voyager and others that retain the rear wheel can be a challenge as they tend to exhibit some pitch and roll in corners and uneven pavement. Also if you are a sporty rider most of those will not perform well. Also the trail reduction kits help but add excessive camber gain which causes other issues. (Rake can not be changed without cutting the frame)

As far as reversal - ALL conversion kits by design are reversible back to two wheels. This is a matter of DMV compliance as if the units are bolt on then it is classified as a accessory add-on if the frame is welded or modified then the bike has to be inspected and retitled.

"Take the Right Turn"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:27 PM

Vito,

since you are in NW Illinois, I suggest you ride down to Tow Pac in Aroma Park (near Kankakee) and test ride one of their demo units...

I bought my Tow Pac from them back in 2012 and it has been performing very well... There are pros and cons to them and of course, they do not perform as well as a regular trike conversion, but then, they do not cost 10-15K or more either...

Steering will be harder as is with any trike, regular conversion or outrigger type such as Tow Pac... Tire wear will be increased with an outrigger conversion as the rear tire is now scrubbed across the pavement in turns - front tire will wear faster as well... You can add a "rake kit" to decrease steering effort... Whether or not you can ride on 2 wheels after that is debatable - some say you can, some say you can't!!! There are a lot of "choppers" with raked front ends on the street and they don't seem to have any issues with the exception of decreased turning characteristics and they are raked a lot more than 4.5 degrees... I have been seriously thinking of doing this and may pull the trigger on the rake kit this winter... If I find riding on 2 wheels impossible, I'll pull the rake kit off and go back to the stock triple tree...

Careful setup of any outrigger type is required for maximum stability and tire wear but once dialed in, you should be fine...

I estimate I have in excess of 12K miles on my Tow Pac and I am still using the original trike tires... I estimate perhaps another 5K miles before replacement will be needed...

I can change my Tow Pac in about 10 minutes so it's really not a problem to put it on or take it off...

You may want to visit the Trike Talk forum (www.triketalk.com) and read the outrigger section - lots of good info there as well...

Les
Bamaeagle likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:36 PM
ETC

Garage
Just as a matter of clarification - there is no such thing as a "rake kit" these are trail kits meant to reduce trail from 6" to approx 2.5 or 3.5" dependant on the degrees of triple tree offset.
These misnamed rake kits actual increase the slider tube angle from 30 degrees to 34 or even 36 this reduces trail but the rake or steering head angle is still 30 degrees and cannot be changed without a torch and welder.

Again not trying to say it's wrong or bad just pointing out the proper description is all. It's like the term "near miss" which is technically a collision. (nearly missed but in fact collided)
I'm an engineer - what can I say :-)

"Take the Right Turn"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:34 PM

I stand corrected... Just going by the popular name of said device... Maybe EZ Steer would be more apropos, but that refers to a brand name, ya know, like Kleenex...

BTW, additional notes to the OP, you might also look at the newer conversions from Hannigan that make the Wing similar to a Can-Am or the fellow on the west coast (Tilting Motor Works) that has a leaning conversion for the Goldwing - a very interesting concept and about the same price as the average trike conversion...

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/produc...onda-roadster/

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode