Alternatives to a trike - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 10:15 PM
ETC

Garage
There is also another which came out way before Hannigan - Here is a test report
http://mnmotorcycle.com/may-2016-bik...he-right-turn/

TMW adds a 3rd wheel but it still leans so there is no advantage except now you get to buy another tire.

EZ steer is much better - sorry didn't mean to cause a rift.

"Take the Right Turn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Had a Tow Pac on my 1500 that I bought used off another GW forum for 2k. It was a way different riding experience from two wheels and can't say I ever got used to it or liked it. I bragged on it in the beginning but I missed riding two wheels and sold it. It did enable me though to ride on our sand and gravel road without dropping it, which I did msny times on two wheels. It was a matter of time before I hurt myself. So I downsized to a lighter bike that I could handle in deep sand and gravel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	200458  

Dan Bowman

2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 02:12 PM

I still ride my wing on 2 wheels, mostly solo with the other guys, but if the wife and I are on a trip, then I usually have the Tow Pac on... Gives more peace of mind, and the wife has always said: "drop me once, and we're done!!" So then there is that!!!

I may someday switch to a full trike conversion, but not just yet...

Les

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC View Post
There is also another which came out way before Hannigan - Here is a test report
http://mnmotorcycle.com/may-2016-bik...he-right-turn/

TMW adds a 3rd wheel but it still leans so there is no advantage except now you get to buy another tire.

EZ steer is much better - sorry didn't mean to cause a rift.
No rift ETC - just a conversation - not to worry - appreciate your well informed comments... Yes, I forgot about TMZ - think Gene's Gallery was the first to sell IIRC...

I kind of like the TMW concept if it works well... Jay Leno did a review on it some time ago and it was favorable but I would like to ride it first before I bought and they are up in Washington State I believe - a bit too far for me at the moment...

Les
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Again, what is the towpac? Picture?

Retired U.S. Army and fully retired!
NRA Life Member
Former MSF Instructor
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here's a few pictures off the net
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tow Pac 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	200874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow Pac 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	200882  

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 06:41 PM

Well, since you asked here are a few photos of the bike with Tow Pac installed...

Name:	rsz_1dscn0589_1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	200890 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0628copy.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	200898

Last edited by 93aspy; 07-19-2016 at 06:49 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:34 PM

After looking at several trike units I finally settled on tiltingmotor works http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/ for the one I will convert to when it's time.

I sent an email to the company wanting to see how the braking system would be changed with the conversion. Their response was that they would use the brake reservoirs provided by Honda. I have some questions still on whether that would provide enough stopping power since you are adding a 3'rd wheel. But will find out more before purchasing. Still like the concept a lot!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

I think the tiltingmotor conversion is interesting, but at $13K a very expensive option. The landing gear option, at $3,500 is looking better and better to me, especially in that it allows me to keep riding a real motorcycle indefinitely.

Retired U.S. Army and fully retired!
NRA Life Member
Former MSF Instructor
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:47 PM
ETC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52wingnut View Post
After looking at several trike units I finally settled on tiltingmotor works http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/ for the one I will convert to when it's time.

I sent an email to the company wanting to see how the braking system would be changed with the conversion. Their response was that they would use the brake reservoirs provided by Honda. I have some questions still on whether that would provide enough stopping power since you are adding a 3'rd wheel. But will find out more before purchasing. Still like the concept a lot!
The only problem with the tilt is there is no advantages. it's just a standard motorcycle with a 3rd wheel. No stability gain no increase in front end traction very little brake gain. it's at best a novelty item for 12K and you get to buy 3 hard mc tires now.

A non-leaning trike will always be better and that's why no major company will or ever has build a leaner while they all have patents on the concept only for protection sake. HD and BRP for example have patents on leaners but will never build one as in time people will discover the advantage is zero.

Using the standard hand lever brake master does work well but some special other equipment is also required to make it work 100% a better option is to change out the standard 14mm master for a 17mm aftermarket which work exceedingly well

"Take the Right Turn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode