Planning a Trip - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Planning a Trip

Hello Everyone, I am in the beginning stages of planning our big trip this year, was thinking I would plot the 19 day route in a mapping website or app, does anyone know of anything like that that would help me to plan a 19 day trip with freedom to make changes as I try to space out each days mileage? I know there is google maps, but it doesn't seem to work very well with multiple days and destinations, I get a couple of plots in and then want to make a change and it goes all wonky Any help or recommendations would be appreciated. By the way this trip is going from Idaho over to Olympic NP, then down the PCH to San Diego and then up to Yosemite, tahoe, crater lake, bend, and then back home.

Ed
2010 Gold Wing "Vader"
2015 KTM 1190 Adventure "Drifter"
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R "Rocky"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry Ed, can't help. I just plot my trips out by the day on Google maps. Then use my CPS ..........

Yeah I'm just a paper Rand McNally guy
crownfire likes this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:05 PM

We incorporated part of what you are planning to ride in a ride last year. We have done a bit of long distance riding of up to 6 weeks duration. We use a combination of AAA map book, Googlemaps.com, paper and pen and I use the One Note computer program (standard on computers these days I think) to take screenshots of a day's planned riding on Googlemaps to copy and paste the map into a Word document. It is possible to save the map you want on Googlemaps if you prefer that but it is not how we do things as we like to have a printed copy - which for us has been quite handy on entering the country - easier to prove you are a legit tourist with all the detail I end up putting into my trip plan and have had a 'well done' at the border several times. I ensure that copy is printed off at a laser printer as it withstands getting wet better.
I find if Googlemaps starts going all over the place instead of the direction you want to go, and you know there is a road there, it maybe because the road is closed for some reason - like it is closed for the winter or as in Colorado and Arizona, at one point, roads have been closed due to landslides. If Google maps wont go where I want it to then I generally google onfo on the area to find out why.
We usually decide
1. Is the day just a ride day or do we plan to stop to see things along the way. We learned to plan for scenic stops and knowing just how long we need to see 'significant places after arriving at the Mesa Verde and discovering a couple of hours just was not enough time - a whole day would be better.
2. How long do we want to ride each day (we have a personal rule to be off the bike by sunset). This decides how many miles we will ride. we also plan for stopping for comfort stops approx every 2 hours - this is to get off the bike and walk for a few minutes, gas topup, snack/meal etc.
3. once you have decided the above you need to find out what accommodation is available where you want to overnight. I usually claim Eric's laptop open to Googlemaps and then use mine to research accommodation as it may mean I need to go back a few miles or go forward a few miles. I also check the reviews on Tripadvisor and if the reviews are overwhelmingly negative, especially about cleanliness, I move onto the next hotel. we have found there is usually one hotel mistake each trip but we try not to let that define our overall ride - but it happens.
Not sure where you are in Idaho - but we rode from Wisdom in MT to Big Hole Historic Battlefield, over Lolo Pass to Kamiah ID, in one day, from Kamiah to Ashford the next, to Quilcene the next day for 2 days to look around the area, Then around to Hoh Rainforest to Ocean shores for overnight.
I would recommend you take your time down Hwy 101 if you can as it is surprisingly slow and even we ran out of time to stop off at the scenic area for photo ops or to just enjoy the views. We went down Hwy 101 as far as the Avenue of the Giants and dropped our plans for Yosemite after some mechanical issues with the bike. We also wanted to ride Hwy 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass (It is stunning highly recommend) also Hwy 299 from Arcata to Redding and 36 from Rio Dell to Hwy 3 and then to 299 (It was raining hard and we altered our route on the way. Flexibility is the key to a great day's riding) We plan to go back and ride this section in 2019/20 for our last big ride in the USA over three months. Hope you enjoy your planning and your ride. Anticipation is part of the journey after all. all the best V for Eric
idaho_lone_rider likes this.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:28 PM

http://tripplanner.honda.com/

or mapquest.com
NREMTP likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 PM

Garage
RoadTripPlanner is excellent, but it only works on Apple OS. The author recently created an iPad version which I haven't used. Waypoints can be downloaded to the GW NAV system. I spent a great deal of time looking for worthy mapping software and this was head and shoulders better (and more complex) than anything else. The author is extremely hands on with support.

Suggestions: The route SpokaneWA-LewistonID-EnterpriseOR-CambridgeID was probably the finest single day adventure I've ever had. Perfect curves all day.

Route 154 in Santa Barbara is a great "detour". Cold Spring Tavern is cool. Solvang is too.

There is no good way through LA. Don't try to overthink the options. There aren't any good ones. Just drop into the HOV and try to excise the experience from your memory.

==================

==================
Old enough to know better; Young enough to do it anyway!

Traveling the country! dlajourney.com
Suzuki 185
Suzuki 250
Kawasaki 650 "Son of Z1" (TransCanada Highway, then Hokkaido, Japan)
Interregnum for family/children
Kawasaki Vulcan 900
BMW K1200LT (I thought I liked it, until . . .)
GL1800 40th Anniversary (My last and best)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinetc View Post
RoadTripPlanner is excellent, but it only works on Apple OS. The author recently created an iPad version which I haven't used. Waypoints can be downloaded to the GW NAV system. I spent a great deal of time looking for worthy mapping software and this was head and shoulders better (and more complex) than anything else. The author is extremely hands on with support.

Suggestions: The route SpokaneWA-LewistonID-EnterpriseOR-CambridgeID was probably the finest single day adventure I've ever had. Perfect curves all day.

Route 154 in Santa Barbara is a great "detour". Cold Spring Tavern is cool. Solvang is too.

There is no good way through LA. Don't try to overthink the options. There aren't any good ones. Just drop into the HOV and try to excise the experience from your memory.
Thanks for the suggestions, from Bend to home on the return part of the trip I was planning on going the back way through prineville to walla walla to lewiston then home, won't be through Enterprise, but I think I will still enjoy the roads.
Yes, I have lived in the Bay area, and know all about the freeways, if it wasn't for the goal of getting to the lower west corner I would turn east at Santa Barbara. My goal is much like your trip, do the four corners, highest and lowest. But unlike your trip I will be doing it over a few years. This year is the 2 west corners. Next year is Deadhorse AK, 2018 is Key West, and 2019 is Maine/Maritimes Canada.

Ed
2010 Gold Wing "Vader"
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgilroy View Post
Thank you, I will check it out.

Ed
2010 Gold Wing "Vader"
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
We incorporated part of what you are planning to ride in a ride last year. We have done a bit of long distance riding of up to 6 weeks duration. We use a combination of AAA map book, Googlemaps.com, paper and pen and I use the One Note computer program (standard on computers these days I think) to take screenshots of a day's planned riding on Googlemaps to copy and paste the map into a Word document. It is possible to save the map you want on Googlemaps if you prefer that but it is not how we do things as we like to have a printed copy - which for us has been quite handy on entering the country - easier to prove you are a legit tourist with all the detail I end up putting into my trip plan and have had a 'well done' at the border several times. I ensure that copy is printed off at a laser printer as it withstands getting wet better.
I find if Googlemaps starts going all over the place instead of the direction you want to go, and you know there is a road there, it maybe because the road is closed for some reason - like it is closed for the winter or as in Colorado and Arizona, at one point, roads have been closed due to landslides. If Google maps wont go where I want it to then I generally google onfo on the area to find out why.
We usually decide
1. Is the day just a ride day or do we plan to stop to see things along the way. We learned to plan for scenic stops and knowing just how long we need to see 'significant places after arriving at the Mesa Verde and discovering a couple of hours just was not enough time - a whole day would be better.
2. How long do we want to ride each day (we have a personal rule to be off the bike by sunset). This decides how many miles we will ride. we also plan for stopping for comfort stops approx every 2 hours - this is to get off the bike and walk for a few minutes, gas topup, snack/meal etc.
3. once you have decided the above you need to find out what accommodation is available where you want to overnight. I usually claim Eric's laptop open to Googlemaps and then use mine to research accommodation as it may mean I need to go back a few miles or go forward a few miles. I also check the reviews on Tripadvisor and if the reviews are overwhelmingly negative, especially about cleanliness, I move onto the next hotel. we have found there is usually one hotel mistake each trip but we try not to let that define our overall ride - but it happens.
Not sure where you are in Idaho - but we rode from Wisdom in MT to Big Hole Historic Battlefield, over Lolo Pass to Kamiah ID, in one day, from Kamiah to Ashford the next, to Quilcene the next day for 2 days to look around the area, Then around to Hoh Rainforest to Ocean shores for overnight.
I would recommend you take your time down Hwy 101 if you can as it is surprisingly slow and even we ran out of time to stop off at the scenic area for photo ops or to just enjoy the views. We went down Hwy 101 as far as the Avenue of the Giants and dropped our plans for Yosemite after some mechanical issues with the bike. We also wanted to ride Hwy 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass (It is stunning highly recommend) also Hwy 299 from Arcata to Redding and 36 from Rio Dell to Hwy 3 and then to 299 (It was raining hard and we altered our route on the way. Flexibility is the key to a great day's riding) We plan to go back and ride this section in 2019/20 for our last big ride in the USA over three months. Hope you enjoy your planning and your ride. Anticipation is part of the journey after all. all the best V for Eric
Yes, very good advice. We may bypass Yosemite, but the wife really wants to see it, even if it is just a quick stop and an overnight. I try to keep the days not too long, the goal is not more than 250 miles each day so that there is plenty of time to relax, it is a vacation after all.

Ed
2010 Gold Wing "Vader"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 06:21 PM

Here's another one. You can add as many way points as you want.
You have to register to use it, but it is free.

http://tourstart.org/drive/
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

A quick side stop would be the Air Craft museum just south of Tillamook, Oregon. it's just off 101. It's in an Old Blimp hanger from WW II. Also the Cheese factory on the North side of town right off the highway, a great stop for an Ice-cream.

Another interesting stop a little farther would be to take hwy 18 east to McMinnville and the Evergreen Museum of flight. The have the Spruce Goose and some older WWII aircraft and a new Aero Space Museum.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5

Last edited by Ron Robertson; 04-27-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode