Late season trip through NW Ontario - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes
  • 6 Post By Insane_Crew
  • 2 Post By Insane_Crew

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Late season trip through NW Ontario

Spent the last two days with a group of friends on a quick round trip Winnipeg to Thunder Bay. Given our diverse schedules two days (Sept 20 & 21) was all we could manage together. We planned to meet in Winnipeg for a 9 am departure but mother nature had plans of her own. Very heavy rain, thunder and lightning, and even some hail delayed our individual departures by up to half an hour. Torrential rain further delayed our joint departure for another hour or so until it slowed enough to see.

We rode east hoping for blue skies and lighter winds. Finally as we neared Kenora the rain slowed to a drizzle. While we fueled up for the next leg we discussed lunch plans in the end deciding to press on in the hope we could get ahead of the liquid sunshine and let some of the group don some dry clothes.

Stopping in Dryden we got several strange looks as the puddle formed around our table but we were able to enjoy lunch and swap out wet gear for dry.

Limited fuel opportunities saw us stopping just half a tank up the road in Ignace to gain the needed range to reach Thunder Bay. Thankfully the rain stayed away.for the remainder of the trip. Replaced later with lake Superior fog that created an eerie glow around our group as we made our hotel.

We socialized at a local watering hole for a few hours before returning to the hotel where sleep came easy.

Early the next morning we checked the weather forecast and radar information before pulling on our rain gear and sealing up cuffs tight. The fog of the night before still hung thick over parts of the road with breaks at elevation where the road wound above tree tops. Right on cue according to the predictions of the radar rain started again as we arrived back in Dryden. While chatting at that fuel stop it was clear everyone's humor was still in tact with one friend proclaiming "I think even my soul is wet". We pressed on running in and out of rain and thunderstorms to Kenora where thankfully the skies were clearing and lunch was on the schedule. We lingered perhaps a little longer than we normally would have being indoors and enjoying each other's company. When it was time to roll again and nearing home the pace picked up. Watching 4 other bikes crushing the curves in synchronized rhythm was one of the highlights.

Finally reaching the perimeter highway we made one last group fuel stop before heading our separate ways. 1609 km (999mi) after it started I rolled back into the garage. The odometer on my GL1500 just shy of 195000 km. Now to dry things out..... the only casualty of the trip is my low beam relay which gave up the ghost an hour or so into the second day.

I don't suffer from Insanity, I enjoy every second of it.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.

IDMWT 78

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

despite the rain it still sounds like a fun time

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Great time will definitely make the trip again.
Badrider and Luv2fish like this.

IDMWT 78

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Heading west from Toronto a couple months ago, we were on the road for 25 days and 12,000 kilometers. In saying that, we didn't get a total of a day of rain in total for the whole trip. Ironically, where we had the most rain of about three hours was heading to Dryden ourselves.

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES!
Steve
GWRRA
1980 CB750 * 1979 GL1000 * 1982 GL1100 *
2000 GL1500 * 2009 GL1800 Airbag
IDMWT #99 (Finally admitted because I like the sound of #99)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:51 AM

Sounds like a good ride. Despite the wet. But into each life a little rain must fall.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Truly a great ride made better by the friends who shared it with me.

IDMWT 78

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode