My Kurviger workflow for the 18+ GW..and all others - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

My Kurviger workflow for the 18+ GW..and all others

If this is in the wrong area feel free to move.

After months of trial and error to find a route planner that the Honda plays well with, this is where Ive ended up. Ive tested it with routes containing 5 to 80 something way points. Its free and additional steps are not required to convert the files to something Honda can read.

https://kurviger.de/en

1-click on advanced opts
I have checked the following:
-Avoid toll roads
-Avoid unpaved roads
-Miles/Ft
2-Choose English
3-Choose highway(far left icon)
-There are 4 opts available
Highway, straight back roads, curvy and super curvy

I have more control choosing highway. I just click a point and drag the route to the road I want, making sure the way point IS ON THE ROAD. its easier to drag a route from the highway to a curvy back road than it is to drag a route from a curvy back road to a less curvy back road or highway.
Sometimes the blue line is off the road, make sure you find a spot near by where it gets back on the road and place the way point there.
This is very important. Honda thinks a way point is a destination so itll reroute you incessantly until you get to it and youll have to manually delete it on the fly

I choose highway because If you choose curvy or very curvy it can sometimes reroute you through subdivisions, etc...
You can reroute it but it can take a lot of way points to get you back on the road you want

I make sure I dont place my way points in intersections. On highways or multiple lane roads,
i place it on the side Im riding. ie, in the north bound lane if im traveling north

Kurviger works with GPS coordinates. Its a european based program so if it cant pinpoint
an exact address, do a gps search on that address and enter the coordinates instead.
I havent run into that problem, but just be aware of it. I enter my start address and my
finish address like normal, but the way points will show up as coordinates, as you choose them.
Its click and drag. click on the road it recommends, and drag it to the road youd rather take.

If you right click on a way point that you have placed, you get several opts
One is "show on google maps" if you click that, google maps will come up
I like to click on the satellite view to get a good look at the area.
I chose a gravel road once and it acted funny. when i zoomed in
with the sat view it showed me my error. this also helps when im trying to get on/off a
major road from a curvy road and there is no entrance/exit to it. youll get a loopy section that you cant click and drag

if you place a point and the routing is screwy chances are you placed it in a wrong place.
ie, wrong side of the road or in an inaccessible entrance.
Also, In google maps i can search for
restaurants, gas stations, etc. and plot a way point.

When I took my wife for her first trip i only wanted to do about 150 mi between stops
so id plot a point about 150 mi and search the area for a restaurant, fuel stop

4-in the way point listing, top left you can delete a point by using the X or move them up and down to change the order

5-Ive used the round trip opt as well. you enter a distance, how far you want to go,
and a direction and itll come up with a route for you. in this mode, i usually choose curvy or extra curvy
I planned a route from indiana to Kentucky, as i would normally. the next day i wanted to ride the roads
in that area of kentucky and return to the hotel, so i used the extra curvy round trip option.
it planned a great route for us

6-Saving. I played around with this for 3 weeks, trying every possibility in order to get it to load into
the honda nav as i planned it. a lot of trial and error. this is what i found works consistently each time

***before I save, i click on every way point to make sure its on the road and the side of the road i want
and see how many way points your route has

A-press "Export"
B-Name the route
C-leave route format as shown "*.gpx
D-IMPORTANT Choose "way points" and uncheck "track" or "Route". those two didnt play well with the honda nav
E-click on "count" and enter 5 more than the number of way points you have in your route
**Ive found that if I choose too many, it can add way points, or too few itll take away
F-click on "export" to download to your computer
G-insert the correct USB drive into your computer and transfer the route to the root drive.
I dont like to use sub folders. I have a usb drive just for transferring routes to the bike,
with nothing else on it. the bike recognizes it right away
H-turn on bike, insert usb into the cable and the route comes up, choose it and save it
G- BE SURE TO UNCHECK "FASTEST ROUTE" IN THE HONDA NAV ROUTE OPTIONS SETTING. otherwise the bike
will change the route to the fastest route.

Just get on a computer and play with it. create a route with 4-5 way points
around your neighborhood, making them back track on each other, etc... One thing i like to do is use my house address
for the start but then move the start way point to the exit of my neighborhood. the system will guide you
to the start way point

Dont hesitate to reach out if you have any issues or questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode