16Likes
  • 8 Post By Special Wing
  • 1 Post By Two Wheel Wing
  • 2 Post By pidjones
  • 3 Post By ironhorse54
  • 2 Post By Hammer Head

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Wing Ding 41- Demo Ride on ‘19 DCT Wing

Wing Ding 41 was held in my “backyard” from Tuesday August 27 to Saturday August 31 so I decided to attend. I went to 2015 Wing Ding in Huntsville, AL. I am not an active member of GWRRA. I joined to get in and their roadside assistance seems to be good bargain.

I could only attend Friday and Saturday due to my work schedule. The 2015 Huntsville Wing Ding was held in convention center that was fairly compact. The number of physical Gold Wings parked in one place was impressive. The Gaylord Opryland Hotel, being the largest non-gaming Hotel in USA is huge facility. It is so big and so many parking area you did not get the “wow” factor of look at all those GoldWings. There were a lot there am sure but spread out. There are a number of less expensive hotel/motels in immediate area that I saw a number of Wings parked there.

I attended the vendors area, went to the Friday night drill team performance and light show. The drill team and light show was held downtown several miles away from Opryland Hotel by the Tennessee Titan’s Nissan Stadium. There were a good number of Wings at that event.

One of the main things I wanted to do was look at vendors, look at what people were doing onsite with their Wings, I needed the attention of J & M Audio for correcting my Bluetooth device and I wanted to take Demo ride on new DCT Goldwing. I also looked at Bushtec trailers, lighting at Electrical Connection and discussed heated gear for cooler riding.

On Friday when the vendor show area opened I went directly to Honda Demo sign up and lady said they were booked up for the day. She suggested going directly to the outside Honda truck early Saturday morning to sign up as there you could line up before they starting making appointments at 8 am. She said 7:30 or earlier.

I got up and to the Honda truck by 7:30 am on the last day of the Wing Ding 41. There were already a good number of people there and they were giving out a numbered ticket to be called to make Demo Ride appointment. I was number 15 in line and they said they would start calling people up at 7:45 am. They had maybe 15-18 Honda m/c of which maybe 6-8 where Goldwings. Of the Goldwings maybe 4 or 5 were DCT. I think most were Tour models but maybe 2 Goldwings ( no top case, look like old F6B). I was sweating it because the first 6-8 people in front of me chose GW DCT. No one was wanting to ride the Africa Twin or the handful of smaller bikes there, it’s a Goldwing convention, right. I did get appointment on Goldwing DCT non-Tour at the first appointment of 9 am. I could have hung around for a later ride on Tour model as there were 5 appointments available for that day as it was cut off at 1:30 pm because the closing ceremonies for Wing Ding was around 3 pm.

I had near 30-40 minute wait before the safety briefing before the demo ride. I went out to the line and found the GW I was assigned to. A Honda rep came up and starting covering all the features, let me get on, start it up, go thru technique for walking speed forward and new type of reverse. He discussed all lot of features about the Wing and he was owner of the bike himself.

Anyway, I got to take a 30-40 minute ride with a group. I am going to say this, I really like my current ‘13 Wing but I became a BIG FAN of DCT. It was so relaxing to not have to worry about shifting on start up on inclines or downshifting taking corners/turns. I did not reach for the clutch but kept thinking I was missing something to do with my left hand and foot. I really like the new styling. I read all the negatives about storage decreased, less wind protection, smaller gas tank, etc. I looked at what riders of new Generation 3 GW were doing to their Wings, placing bigger windshields, placing air wings on ‘18 and ‘19. Every negative I have read I am seeing the after market vendors making a correction. Owners of all Wings are adding after market Farley’s whether you own any year Wing. Same with Harley owners, they are “juicing” their rides up too.

Yes it is 4 inches narrower than my Wing. Near 100 lbs lighter. Handling to me was on par with what I am use to. I shifted to “Sport” mode and was warned by 2 different Honda spokespersons to hold on and be prepared for “ different bike” in that mode. One rep called it a “beast”. Not sure I would say that but it is very different than “Tour” mode. You feel it immediately by engine sound and throttle response. The best way I can explain it is dropping down gear to pass or accelerate quicker feeling. I played around with the paddle shifting up and down while in “Tour” mode. Then I stopped messing with it because I was trying to think why don’t I just let the DCT do the thinking.

Now I can not quit thinking about that new Wing. I am always looking at little things to improve my current Wing but now I am thinking do I want to invest anymore in my Wing.

If I had the cash difference in hand for trading and I would not be in the “Dawg House” at home with momma.....I would be on new Wing while some riding season left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E989493B-B01E-41BF-AEC9-B430342FC495.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	265095   Click image for larger version

Name:	7AB3331C-6DD5-4644-A7F2-010EA75A8923.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	265097   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD295CF9-6051-4725-8F49-4359DD32F926.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	265099   Click image for larger version

Name:	01C34FEB-D74C-49FB-B213-7027E248C8F2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	265101   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBC44514-EEC8-4677-92D0-8A60028C2799.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	265103  

Mike
2013 GL1800, Level III
1996 HD Heritage Softail Classic (sold this past summer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:17 PM

Thanks for posting. Interesting to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ride Safe, Ride Often

Boodad
Sierra Vista, AZ

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

A new model always makes us dream of "moving up". Then reality sets in and we think about things like the "payments". It's always fun to look and dream. Someday......
detdrbuzzard likes this.

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Candy Spectra Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:36 AM

My wife tried out the "throne" on an '18 at the local dealer. Wasn't comfortable for her. I've avoided a test drive because I fear that I'd instantly fall in love, but having the wife behind me is >50% of my enjoyment, so I would be in agony. Love reading rider's impressions of it, though.
dwade and NREMTP like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:53 PM

Love my 2018 DCT tour. My 04 was running like new and I had no reason to buy a new bike other than the fact I wanted the DCT. It’s been worth every penny that I didn’t have to spend. Plus, I find it much more enjoyable and entertaining to ride than the 04.

Eddie
2018 DCT Tour Pearl Hawkeye Blue
IDMWT #73

"Ride hard or stay home"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Garage
Eddie, I'm so happy that you enjoy that new bike. I'd love one too, but I need a lottery win before owning one LOL

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:40 AM

I also was able to ride a couple of them at a Meet-n-Greet in North Carolina. The DCT impressed me also. But muscle memory kept my left hand reaching for the clutch handle. The DCT was at least as smart as me; it was shifting right at the same time I was pulling the handle that was not there. Both uphill and downhill into turns. I'll be looking to replace my 2010 this winter, but I'm not sure if I will get the DCT. We will see what funding I have available at the time.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:08 PM

I bought my 2018 DCT Tour sight unseen! It arrived, paid cash, rode it home! I still had my older GL1800 at the time. Riding both one after the other was a night & day difference! I loved my older bike (it had a full Monty suspension) but the 2018 could run circles around it! I ❤️ the new bike & would never go back! The DCT rocks!!
fossil92 and crownfire like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:30 PM

haha! i bought mine unseen as well, from a Texas dealer. i had a buddy pick it up and break it in for me. that was a LONG 3 weeks!.

sport mode is a beast. you just didnt get on it all the way. its hard to believe how fast a bike that weighs so much can get up and go. the traction control has come on and once the front tire came up slightly.

as far as comparing the negatives to previous bikes, youre spot on. every negative thing about this bike has been changed or upgraded on previous models, including comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in