10Likes
  • 1 Post By Terryj
  • 3 Post By Ron Robertson
  • 2 Post By RayJ
  • 1 Post By George Henderson
  • 2 Post By Roadog
  • 1 Post By budoka

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Seattle to San Diego........any pointers?

Just brainstorming and looking for tips from those who've been there done that...........

Go from Spokane to Seattle over a few days......gotta be a scenic way to get from Spokane to Seattle over them little mountains right?

Then Seattle to San Diego?? along the coast....no hurry, no schedule...

I may take the bike somewhere in Seattle and upgrade my two speakers and ad an amp to boast them...any recommendations? I tried Sena headset...wouldn't play loud enough...tried using my Airbuds...uncomfortable and clumsy. Going back to the bikes speakers which I have rarely used. Any suggestions for speakers?

TIA, flying to Spokane tomorrow to resume the adventure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:03 PM

Garage
If your taking the PCH down be sure to bring your rain gear, the weather is always unpredictable. Where are you planning on pickup the coast highway out of Seattle? You can pick up US 101 at Olympia, I'd take 101 to WA 8 headed west, then pick up US 12 west to 101 south at Aberdeen, then just follow 101 south, it's a nice ride. My wife and I have rode this route a number of times. The weather from Aberdeen south can be iffy but just be prepared for a little drizzle all the way to Coos Bay, Oregon. Typically after Coos Bay you may run into some fog but the drizzle starts to let up a bit, that is, if it is raining. Enjoy the ride.
Roadog likes this.

9th ID, US Army
Vietnam 69-70
Disabled Veterans of America
Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Take hwy 2 north from Spokane to hwy 20, left on 20 and follow it west all the way to the Ferry from Clinton to Port Townsend. Then take hwy 101 west to the coast and follow it south. By Pass Seattle it's a mess.

When you get to Hebo, Oregon take hwy22 east then hwy 18 east to McMinnville. and the Evergreen Museum of flight. The have Howard Hugh's airplane the Spruce Goose, as well as other aircraft and the have an Airo Space Museum. All well worth the stop. from there you areon your own.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5

Last edited by Ron Robertson; 08-23-2019 at 02:51 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:43 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to RayJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Robertson View Post
Take hwy 2 north from Spokane to hwy 20, left on 20 and follow it west all the way to the Ferry from Clinton to Port Townsend. Then take hwy 101 west o the coast and follow it south. By Pass Seattle it's a mess.
Ron gave me this advice when I was coming to that part of the world and I can attest that Hwy 20 is one of my top 10 and maybe top 5 roads I have ridden. The road to the ferry is also wonderful and then on to 101. Somehow go around LA. It is a hassle and nothing to see. I would go thru San Francisco so you get your bike on the Golden Gate. That was cool but it was also a hassle. The winds just north of the bridge can be fun. Enjoy the ride and take your time. There is a lot to see.
George Henderson and Roadog like this.

RayJ

Proud Owner of IDMWT #104
Proud Owner of GEEZER GANG #11

Bike List:
1993 Harley Low Rider Black (Gone)
2005 Harley Electra Glide Black Cherry (Gone)
2015 Goldwing Black
1975 Goldwing Red

but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:19 PM

All of the above advice, especially the Spruce Goose in McMinnville, OR and so much more along the coast. However, always liked San Francisco: worthy of a few days to visit and the many sights, although traffic can be a hassle. Take it all in; worth of every mile and enjoy! Be safe!
Roadog likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Great tips.....Going from Spokane tomorrow to Leavenworth, Washington.

https://www.google.com/search?q=leav...HIJvSZgP6H9DM:

Then heading to get me a ferry to San Juan Islands or ? I'll spend a little time East of Seattle before approaching the West side/North side or heading South.

I'm in no hurry and to me this is a dream ride. Over 2,000 miles so far and a lot more to go!
Terryj and George Henderson like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Garage
We went from Astoria down as far as the Redwoods and enjoyed every bit of it. The seaside towns are cute and funky and there's a ton of attractions along the way: lighthouses, sea lion caves, cliffside splendor is often breathtaking. But yeah, the weather can be a real mixed bag, as can traffic. We were in September so much of the summer sillies were gone, but it can still be very busy all down the coast. Great eats everywhere we stopped too. Not sure about SF to LA but have heard both good and sad, its often in the eye of the beholder. South of LA I've only been on I-5 so I don't know much beyond that. Plus it was almost 40 years ago since I was in SD so things will have grown more and certainly changed. But hey, take your time and enjoy what that part of the world has to bring you.
Terryj likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:03 AM

Garage
Teresa and I try and do, what we call "our circle route" at least once a year. Living in Medford, Oregon we head to the coast and catch the PCH just north of Crescent City, California. Then we head north, enjoying some familiar places along the way. We cross the bridge at Astoria and head to WA 4 and go east to Longview then south to Vancouver and WA 4 east again to Biggs Junction. From there we pick our route to head south, sometimes we go down US 97 and other times we go to Arlington and head south on OR 19, we visit some of the ghost towns along the way. Then we head west on what every road were at, we just kinda follow the front tire down the highway. It takes us all of 4-5 days to make the trip due to stop along the way.

This years trip was cancelled due to a PE in my lung and a blood clot in my leg, the doc said to stay off the bike until this clears up, so now were are grounded, oh, well, there is always next year.

9th ID, US Army
Vietnam 69-70
Disabled Veterans of America
Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)

Last edited by Terryj; 08-27-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

If you do poke around Seattle just off of I-5 on the south end of town is the Boeing Museum of flight also worth the stop.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode