Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayJ and Billy to Alaska

21K views 181 replies 19 participants last post by  MotownWing 
#1 ·
Tomorrow at O Dark 30, I will leave here headed due north of two day before I turn left in Minneapolis headed for the AlCan. Been planning this one for about 8 months or so. Tomorrow is the start. Right now we have mapped out a little short of 11k miles for the trip. Riding with my good. old, long term friend Billy from East TN. I will meet Billy in Salem, IL tomorrow afternoon if our plans hold up.

I have a pic of my Wing loaded for departure. I am sure Billy's Harley looks something similar. Won't get to buy much stuff on the trip unless I ship it home. It is a little tough to pack for both 35 deg mornings and 105 deg days. The joys of multiple latitudes and elevations.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Travel safely our friend and be sure to stay in touch as much as you can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
One thing we'll do is if we are figuring on buying some souvenir T-shirts we'll leave home with some throw away shirts exc. then after we've worn them a couple days they go in the trash making a little extra room.

#25 ·
Smell The Roses -

Hey Ray and Billy - Have a great trip and smell the roses. Don't hesitate to thread your way to the front of the line of motor homes when traffic is stopped for road construction. Be careful on the sections of gravel and when crossing over those steel grate bridges. They can be really slick on a damp morning. A few years ago on my way back home I dumped Ol' Beauford T Dudley right in the middle of Highway 1 coming on to the steel bridge at Nisulin Bay, Yukon.

Wish I was still up to the trip....:)

Ride Safe Michael

#28 ·
Hey Ray and Billy - Have a great trip and smell the roses. Don't hesitate to thread your way to the front of the line of motor homes when traffic is stopped for road construction. Be careful on the sections of gravel and when crossing over those steel grate bridges. They can be really slick on a damp morning. A few years ago on my way back home I dumped Ol' Beauford T Dudley right in the middle of Highway 1 coming on to the steel bridge at Nisulin Bay, Yukon.

Wish I was still up to the trip....:)

Ride Safe Michael
Thanks for the advice. IN Canada they call those steel grate “Texas Gates”. In Texas they are cattle guards. Whatever you call them they sr sleep come when wet.

#26 ·
Wow does that bring up memories! In 1979 my wife and I loaded our 3 sons into a station wagon pulling a 16ft travel trailer and did the trip from NJ to Anchorage AK where we spent the next 5 years. The AlCan was a BLAST! dirt and all. I can’t imagine doing it on a m/c though. Hope you have a safe, uneventful and wonderful trip. In 1983 we did it again for the return trip. Only in a Chev Suburban pulling a 24ft trailer. HAVE FUN!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eric
#27 ·
LOL my trip up the ALCAN was in an AMC Pacer station wagon. No vehicle is more ill suited for that road than a Pacer. It made it but lost the power steering. The return trip was in a Nissan 4x4 pickup. Much better suited.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
WE inished day two around 4:30 today. Another 600 miles today. We ar in Monticello MN tonight. We want off these interstates. Going to Williston ND tomorrow. From here on I94 will be the last interstate road until we get back in WA. I promise some pics when we have something to show. Was going to post a pic of a corn field but couldn’t figure out how to do it on my iPad. More later

#38 ·
Not sure what route, but here is what I suspect;
https://goo.gl/maps/1bRonmDSoJCy314n8
A
One day I plan to ride US 2 across the northern states. So I'll ride through there eventually.
I did all of us 2 from WA to the WI/MI border two years ago. Great ride.

Your route is basically right but we rode north about 30 miles out of Fargo and turned west on country roads thru farm land. We were sick of interstates. Boring.

#32 · (Edited)
Nisutlin Bay-Teslin Lake Bridge -

Hey Ray - I think the Canadian's call the cattle guard a Texas Gate. The type of steel bridge I was cautioning you about has an open metal grate floor all the way across that lets the winter snow and ice melt through.

I took a tumble in front of God and every vehicle around me as I entered the Nisutlin Bay-Teslin Lake Bridge, Yukon. It can be a real butt scuffer when you're tired. As I skidded toward the side rails, my 1st thought was not the direction all my camping stuff was headed but where was that 4x4 pickup I'd just passed......:)

Ride Safe and Have a Great Bucket List Trip - Michael

Attachments

#50 ·
Hey Ray - I think the Canadian's call the cattle guard a Texas Gate. The type of steel bridge I was cautioning you about has an open metal grate floor all the way across that lets the winter snow and ice melt through.

I took a tumble in front of God and every vehicle around me as I entered the Nisutlin Bay-Teslin Lake Bridge, Yukon. It can be a real butt scuffer when you're tired. As I skidded toward the side rails, my 1st thought was not the direction all my camping stuff was headed but where was that 4x4 pickup I'd just passed......:)

Ride Safe and Have a Great Bucket List Trip - Michael
I now know the bridges you are talking about. I crossed one today. It was dry, thank the Lord, but it was a squirrely ride. It was a long one across a big river just south of Ft St John, BC. Man was I glad to get off that thing.

#35 ·
We have ridden three days from MS and TN to Williston, ND. Not much to see but I wanted to paste some pics. We have ridden about 1800 miles so far. Hammering the interstates until about 10 am this morning. Got into the farm land of ND. Fun ride and a lot of beautiful farms. Did get a couple of rock formations along the highway in the Wisconsin Dells. Today it seemed that we were going to get soaked. What we actually got was a bunch of light drizzle and some really nasty bikes. Got them cleaned and put to bed. I had two IPAs from a brewery I know in St Paul and walleye. Love walleye. Tomorrow we go to Canada. I will color in SK after tomorrow Lord willing and off to Medicine Hat, AB. Enjoy.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.