No Hic-Ups = Good Trip - Honda Goldwing Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By JK McDonald
  • 1 Post By JK McDonald

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

No Hic-Ups = Good Trip

Has anyone else noticed the growing impatience (and sometimes even aggression) of drivers on interstate lately? The I-20 leg of my return ride home from Deals Gap to Dallas seemed unusually dangerous this weekend. Many cars were routinely traveling @ over 85mph and at times when I was boxed in at 75 mph in the slow lane, about had my taillight sucked up an intake.

Friday was uneventful down to Hoover, Al while on the secondary back roads but once I hit interstate, you could almost sense the skirmish lines being drawn and the impatience factor climbed off scale. Along with the scattered rain showers and the unavoidable traffic jams from road construction in every major city, there was an assortment of bumper car wrecks and a couple fatal crashes involving 18 wheelers. Jackson Ms had a 3 lane section of interstate (plus 2 bumper to bumper on-ramps) that brought traffic down to a crawl for miles. There was a similar one lane bottle neck at the Ms - La line and then again coming out of Shreveport.

A friend had let me borrow his Indian Dark Horse Chieftain last week for doing some well past due work on his Porsche 911. He felt with what the dealer would have charged, "He got the better end of the deal". Ha - I seriously doubt it and could hardly control myself when he handed me the key fob. Man, the muffled thump of that 6 speed Indian really cranks out the fun and spun the time machine back to relive my 20's.

Although a few bikers gave in to the temptation to split lanes in the stalled traffic, I just pulled off down a shaded grassy knoll for a break when the surrounding radiator temps became too much. The far right hand maintenance lane also gave me a handy escape route when a car was coming down on me too fast in the stop and go traffic. There were plenty of one finger salutes to go around as agitated drivers creeped long and jockeyed for the nearest open slot.

Any trip with no major hic-ups or accidents is a good trip. AND over all it was really fun on the Indian but for comfort, balance and (paid for) reliability I still enjoy my old 84 GW Beauford T Dudley and 96 GW - Red Neckerson.

Ride Safe - Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	263583  
NREMTP, Luv2fish and RickLB like this.

Last edited by JK McDonald; 06-18-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Garage
I noticed a very high level of aggression on the slab when near big cities - Buffalo/Rochester, Hamilton Ontario, Flint, Milwaukee, Des Moines, and then not much in the countryside through Nebraska/Kansas/Colorado/Arizona/Utah until I got back to the cities. And worse in the north and east where the riding season is abbreviated and people consider motorcycles a nuisance for a few months at most. Best and most patient drivers were in the south and west, where the riding season is longer. That's my theory.

Did the 911 need timing chains/tensioners, head studs, or both?

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage Queen -

Hey Tamathumper - Porsche has sorted out most of the issues on the earlier cars. No more broken head studs, collapsed cam chains or tensioners, intermediate bearing failures, valve adj, transmission synchros, etc...

The 2010 911 Carrera S I worked on last month was a direct injected, water-cooled garage queen. She just needed some neglected long term maintenance to get running and pass a Texas safety inspection. All the fluids/filters were changed, brake pads, injectors removed to be professionally cleaned/calibrated, platinum plugs, drive belt, new battery, retorqued head studs, recharged A/C, Engine Control Computer swept clean of minor codes. Mercy - I've bought motorcycles for what the owner paid Porsche for all the OEM spec parts and consumables.

Ride Safe - Michael
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1087.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	263585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	263587  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Garage
I had an experience just outside to Columbus in '17 returning from my/our visit with the fossil's and company. Dunno if the cager was a Canuck/Alberta hater or if he took exception to me flying both the Maple Leaf and the Stars and Stripes. regardless of why, he was bey aggressive and very visibly angry about something. Honking his horn, shaking his fist, verbal tirade out his window that I couldn't discern. So I did the only sensible "biker" response and offered him a smile and a middle finger salute, accompanied by my own vocalization regarding sex and travel. Of course afterward I realized that responses like that can earn you a bullet or two depending on the aggravated individual. Naturally I never considered that prior to...

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
The 2010 911 Carrera S I worked on last month was a direct injected, water-cooled garage queen...
Oh, so a 997. I thought you meant a 911, you know, like a 912, only without all the rusted out quarter panels.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Hey Tamathumper - I'm sure you're right calling it a 997 since I believe Porsche used this designation for cars during the 2005 - 2012 (?) models. Dave called it a 911 and there was a "Carrera S" badge on the engine lid. All I know is that owning one of these newer babies is WAAAAY-HEY-HEY-HEY out of my wheel house....

Sorry I diverted this thread away from the original interstate travel comments.

Ride Safe - Michael
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_2143_1920x1440_e625d00920619d6e18d109ffaddb663646a92816.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	263589  
tamathumper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode