Dangers of Natural Wind Gusts: Thoughts? - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 30Likes

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:44 AM

Garage
I am also relatively new to the riding world. Bought my fist bike in August of 2015 a 2002 Honda Magna 750. After taking the riding course and getting my certification I went for a longer ride with a friend on his 1994 GL1500 (which is now mine). We got to our destination and he said the wind was fierce and he was getting blown all over the place. I replied I didnít feel anything. Fast forward to September of 2018 when I bought his bike and on my ride home I was blown all over the road.

Keep a relaxed grip on the handlebars, keep shoulders and arms relaxed and donít fight the wind. Ride with it and make small corrective movements. If you make a major correction and the wind disappears you may find yourself in danger as your bike is no longer fighting wind resistance.

As as stated before ride within YOUR comfort zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug
Honda Goldwing - 1994 GL1500SE
Honda Magna - 2002 VF750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:48 AM
ETC

Garage
I remember one time riding through ND and the wind was blowing so hard I was actually leaning the wrong way going around some corners. I had a hard time holding my helmet on as the wind wanted to pull it off.
I find the best is to relax and just let the wind do it's thing, once you tense up one tends to over correct and make things worse. Just an FYI with the wings adding a 3rd wheel does not eliminate the wind effects it just changes the responds.

"Take the Right Turn"
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:20 PM

Garage
I just got back from a 6000+ mile trip from NY to UT and back, which included some crazy wind (passed by those tornadoes in Kansas, for instance).

My riding buddy was on a BMW R1200GS, and I was on the Wing. He wasn't affected nearly as much as I was by the wind, and I suspect it's because the BMW has plenty of holes right through the frame and structure - you can see from one side to the other under the seat, for instance.

The 'Wing has side covers, engine covers, fairings, saddle bags, a high trunk, a huge windshield,... it's basically a spinnaker compared to the BMW.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM
ETC

Garage
The biggest issue with the wing is the fairing and windshield. High windshields do affect handling in the wind. The stock F6b is less affected for these reasons.

"Take the Right Turn"
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:06 AM

Garage
I was on I-90 in Montana going over a bridge when I unexpectedly changed 2.5 lanes, like you. A bit more and I would have been tossed over the bridge. That was the beginning of just brutal wind. I stopped at the next rest area to collect myself, where I found a motorist that I convinced to let me ride in his slip-stream. I never ride 10' off the car in front of me but, it made a huge difference. We rode like that all the way to Sheridan. Not my favorite way to deal with it, but out in the middle of nowhere without a good place to hide from the wind it was the best solution. I never imagined that a Goldwing sized bike could be tossed around so easily. In fact if it had not happened to me, I would have thought you were over reacting to the point of exaggeration. I believe you. I put 110K miles on that wing and it had not happened before nor since. If There was someplace to have stopped for the day, that would be my best advice.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Garage
Lots of good advice given in this discussion. The outflow from storm cells is called a "gust front" in meteorological circles, and they are not only unpredictable as Mark said, they are extremely dangerous. Thunderstorms, super cells, and the like are really concentrated highly powerful low pressure weather systems and can produce conditions that will turn a semi-trailer rig into a tumbleweed. And yes, Goldwings are a 2 wheel sailboat in gusty and changing crosswind conditions.

As a former commercial pilot, I am constantly watching the sky and cloud/weather conditions for changes and vertical development of the TCUs or CBs. Especially those that appear to have the ability to develop rotational (read: tornadic) activity. Gust fronts from super cells or squall lines can reach out 50 miles or more depending on their strength and or growth potential. Another clue is what they call a horizontal rotor cloud: they have the appearance of a rolling tube or a breaking tall wave. An indicator of heavy outflow in most cases. Always be weather wise, but on a bike, it's critical. As others so aptly mention, staying as relaxed as possible in the moment can save your skin for sure. As flyers, we're taught from the get-go to have emergency procedures in our heads at all times and you have to be prepared for the worst, and just hope for the best.

Take the time to get as proficient as possible on your bike; the 3 P's: Practice, Practice, Practice.
DesertRat likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Before this Thread dies off... I'm hoping to get just a little more information out of you all who have so much riding experience.

Recently, I struck out to "practice" riding on a windy day. Winds were sustained at 26MPH with 32MPH gusts. To put that into a visual, every flagpole I passed had flags stretched out tight and flapping wildly. I took the advice you all gave me in this thread and overall it was a pleasant ride. At times I found myself riding perpendicular to the wind and that was noticeable for sure, but manageable, again with the advice I got from you all. I could tell I needed that practice session to help build my skill and confidence in those conditions.

So, with that brief description of what I've been doing since I posed the original question I want to know more. I understand 26MPH-32MPH is probably a normal day in some areas near the coastline, or in other parts of the US. What wind speed, sustained or gust sets off your alarm bell? Give it to me in MPH. Also, it was mentioned slowing down is a good first compensation in windy conditions. For those of you who have been caught when your alarm bell was ringing I'm curious to know the speed you were riding and the approximate wind speed at the time. Any other words of advice or recommendations are always appreciated.

Thanks for your input!
NREMTP likes this.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 PM

Garage
I've ridden in 50-60 mph sustained winds across Nebraska and it wasn't fun, but it was doable so long as the winds were sustained, and so long as both sides of the road were, well, Nebraska.

I had 45 mph wind gusts on the hogs-back coming out of Grand Escalante, and it was butt-puckering. Both sides of the road seemed to have little more than a shoulder and a cliff.
NREMTP and Keith Wilder like this.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathumper View Post
I've ridden in 50-60 mph sustained winds across Nebraska and it wasn't fun, but it was doable so long as the winds were sustained, and so long as both sides of the road were, well, Nebraska.

I had 45 mph wind gusts on the hogs-back coming out of Grand Escalante, and it was butt-puckering. Both sides of the road seemed to have little more than a shoulder and a cliff.

How fast were you riding in those 50-60MPH winds??
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 PM

I have rode in 60 mph winds. The biggest worry is falling limbs from trees. I was riding a 1200 Goldwing and when heading into the wind, it didn't have much left in the power stakes in 5 gear. As the wind become a side on wind the breaks in the trees really moved the bike.
Now this is something that I do in strong side winds. I take the left hand off the handle bar, so that I am not so ridged and more loose on the bike. It works for me. (Just don't think that Lady V. is going to ride in them conditions)
NREMTP and Keith Wilder like this.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode