Virginia Civil War Tour and Coddiwomple Ride - Honda Goldwing Forums
 62Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Virginia Civil War Tour and Coddiwomple Ride

Coddiwomple…….you will have to stick with us a couple days to get the definition.

It took me a while to organize my thoughts and pictures on this excellent nine days on the bike. But, finally, here we go:

On Wednesday, April 24th, I left out early on my ride to Virginia for a tour of Civil War Battlefields in the Richmond area. Today was mostly just a ride on the go-fast roads to get me well into North Carolina. RayJ had gotten most of his problems behind him and was going to join me, but he had to take his Mother to a doctor appointment in the morning. That put him behind half the day so he took the fast and direct routes to Virginia and would join me on Thursday evening. I headed out to Chattanooga where I got off the Interstates to travel US 74 through the Nantahala Gorge and across to I-40. I noticed some of the fire areas that I worked from the Fall of 2016 while enjoying the sweeping curves across to Waynesville. A quick run on I-40 though Ashville put me over to Morganton, NC for the night. I found a quick meal across the street and then visited Sidetracked Brewery for a nice choice of beers. I filled my to-go pint from my local beer store with an IPA. A HAT ride day for 674 miles.

Pictures:
1. Nantahala Gorge, US 74, NC
2. Sidetracked Brewery, Morganton, NC
3. RR Depot, Morganton, NC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 24 01 Civil War Tour Nantahala Gorge.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	262707   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 24 03 Civil War Tour Sidetracked Brewery, Morganton, NC.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	262709   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 24 04 Civil War Tour RR station, Morganton, NC.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	262711  

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

Last edited by crownfire; 05-10-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thursday morning I left Morganton to start the run to Virginia along the go-fast roads. At I-85 exit 27 in Virginia I got on the back roads heading north. (Testing out the theory that roads with 3 numbers are usually great.) I took 46 north and then turned west on 137. At Dundas I noticed a Stuart Tank and stopped for a picture. From there I continued to Kenbridge and north on 40 to Blackstone. US 460 took me a short piece east to 153 and then north to US 360. Another short piece west and then north on 604 heading to Mason’s Corner. A left there on 616, then a right to head north to Macon put my on 13 heading north to US 522. This went all the way up to Cuckoo on US 33. A left there took me to Louisa for a stop at the Court House and then a short distance west to Trevilians. At Trevilian Station on June 12, 1864 a cavalry battle took place that almost became George Custer’s Little Big Horn. He charged in with his troop unsupported. If Sheridan hadn’t heard the clash and rode to the rescue, Custer would have been beaten. As it turned out the Union forces pushed the Confederates back from the station. A historic home, Goodall House – 1846, just happened to have the local historical society present and they gave me a tour of the home. The clash continued the next day a bit to the west with the Union forces being repelled and retiring. I checked in with RayJ and he was still a few hours out from us meeting in Culpeper. Continuing west on 33 to Gordonsville, I then turned north on US 15. Almost to Culpeper is the site of the Battle of Cedar Mountain. On August 9, 1862 Stonewall Jackson rallied his forces and defeated a Union Corp. At Culpeper I scouted around and happened upon Beer Hound Brewing. I had a flight to make sure the beer was up to RayJ’s standards and then rode down to meet him at the motel. I was still a bit ahead but they let him check in over the phone and I got into the room to clean up. We Ubered over to the Brewery for a nice chat with the owner and a couple good beers. A local restaurant delivered meals so we opted to stay at the bar and have food delivered.
Almost a HAT ride for 429 miles.

Pictures:
1. Louisa Court House, VA
2. Trevilian Station
3. Goodall House
4. Cedar Mountain Battlefield
5. A couple of Beer Hounds at Beer Hound Brewery
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 04 25 02 Civil War Tour, Louisa Court House, VA.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	262713   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 25 04 Civil War Tour, Trevilian Station, VA.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	262715   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 25 06 Civil War Tour, Goodall House, 1846, Trevilian Station, VA.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	262717   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 25 14 Civil War Tour, Battle of Cedar Mountain, Culpeper, VA.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	262719   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 25 17 Civil War Tour, Beer Hound Brewery, Culpeper, VA.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	262721  

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Friday we headed out up US 15 and 29 to Manassas National Battlefield. We walked around Henry Hill and rode over to the Stone Bridge and Stone House to see the ground where the Civil War’s first large battle took place. Watching the weather we timed the approaching storm to head into Manassas and a right on 28 to Bealeton and US 17. At that intersection we stopped and put on our rain gear as there was a threatening cloud between us and Fredericksburg. We ran through a pretty heavy rain for 15 minutes and then it was behind us. We stopped at 6 Goats and a Bear Brewery for lunch and to meet up with JCSouders. I failed to get a group picture of the meet up, but y’all will have to trust us that it happened. The main line of storms caught up with us while we were having lunch. It passed and JC went on home and we continued east on 17 and then south on US 1 to our hotel in Fredericksburg. The delay from the rain didn’t allow us enough time to continue the tour, so we Ubered into downtown for dinner at the Capital Ale House. A nice CAT ride of 162 miles for the day.

Pictures:
1. RayJ at Confederate artillery position, Henry Hill, Manassas Battlefield
2. Henry Hill looking north toward the Stone House
3. Stonewall Jackson
4. Stone Bridge, Manassas Battlefield
5. 6 Goats and a Bear Brewery
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 04 26 07 Civil War Tour, Henry Hill, Manassas Battlefield, VA.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	262723   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 26 04 Civil War Tour, Henry Hill, Manassas Battlefield, VA.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	262725   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 26 11 Civil War Tour, General Jackson, Henry Hill, Manassas Battlefield, VA.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	262727   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 26 15 Civil War Tour, Stone Bridge, Manassas Battlefield, VA.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	262729   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 26 98 Civil War Tour, 6 Bears and a Goat Brewery, Fredericksburg, VA.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	262731  

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Saturday we started at the Fredericksburg National Battlefield. We walked along the Sunken Road and up on Marye’s Heights. During the battle, December Richard Kirkland of South Carolina, stepped out from the sunken road to give water to the wounded Union soldiers below. It was noted by the Union side and nobody shot at him. The Confederates turned back the Union army at this battle. Next we headed out west on the Plank Road toward Chancellorsville. We stopped at Salem Church on the way. Here on May 3, 1863 Lee stopped the Union army coming from Fredericksburg in support of the forces at Chancellorsville. In the meanwhile Jackson had done an end around and routed the Union army the day before at Chancellorsville. But that is also where he was wounded and eventually died. Afterwards Ray and I headed to Hwy 20 and Locust Grove for a lunch stop at the Generals’ Quarters. After a good meal we continued on 20 to US 522 and then south to meet up with Mark & Elaine at Michaux – US 522 and 617. Mark led us on a spirited ride around Richmond to our motel in Chester. I couldn’t begin to tell you the roads as he led us through rights and lefts and I believe a couple circles before we arrived. An excellent way to get around Richmond, however we did it. George & Norma were already there and we visited a bit before walking through a car show at the Hardy’s next door, to a nice Italian place across from the motel. Visiting continued well into the night. It was another CAT ride of 143 miles for the day.

Pictures:
1. Kirkland Memorial, Fredericksburg Battlefield
2. Sunken Road at Marye’s Heights, Fredericksburg Battlefield
3. Salem Church, Chancellorsville Battlefield
4. GWOF gathering; Mark, George & Norma, Elaine & Mark, Ray
5. 1940 Ford
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 04 27 08 Civil War Tour, Marye's Heights, Fredericksburg Battlefield, VA.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	262733   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 27 09 Civil War Tour, Sunken Road, Marye's Heights, Fredericksburg Battlefield, VA.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	262735   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 27 18 Civil War Tour, Salem Church, Chancellorsville Battlefield, VA.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	262737   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 27 33 Civil War Tour, Mark, George, Norma, Elaine, Mark, Ray.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	262739   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 27 34 Civil War Tour, 1940 Ford.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	262741  

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Sunday we headed out after breakfast for a tour of the 1862 Seven Days Battles. Mark and Eddie showed up to ride along with us. We headed out north on I-95 to I-64 to US 360 and get above Richmond to Mechanicsville. It being a Sunday morning the traffic was very light. Hwy 156 travels past most of the sites we would visit this day. First stop was Beaver Dam Creek battle on June 26. The Union repulsed the attack by Lee’s forces, but McClellan thinking he was outnumbered started pulling back to concentrate his army. Next stop was the site of the Battle of Gaines Mill, June 27. The Confederate army broke through the Union lines and they continued to push the Union army away from Richmond. Continuing on, we turned off 156 onto Hanover Road and then Grapevine Road, then left on Meadow Road for a stop at the site of the Savage’s Station battle of June 29. All that is here is a Historic Marker along the road about a half mile north of the railroad. The Confederate forces continued to encourage the Union rearguard to move on, as they retreated towards the James River. We continued on Meadow Road across I-64 and US 60 where it ties back into 156. We rode on past the site of the White Oak Swamp. Here on June 30, General Jackson’s troops failed to cut off the Union line of retreat. Leaving them time to gather at our next stop of Malvern Hill. Here on July 1, McClellan’s line of cannon along a ridge dealt severely with the Confederate’s attempt to destroy his army. The next day McClellan withdrew his army to Harrison’s Landing on the James River. Thus ending the attempt to capture Richmond and possibly shorten the War. We crossed the James River just below Hopewell and stopped for lunch at the Dockside Restaurant. After lunch Mark and Eddie headed off home while we continued west on Hwy 10 into Hopewell and a stop at City Point. This was Grant’s headquarters during the siege of Petersburg and an important logistics center for that effort. We walked the grounds and soaked in some of the history. Then back to 10 and west to the motel. We just grabbed to go dinners at area fast food places and socialized outside well into the night. A Wisconsin couple travelling on a Harley joined us.
A real official CAT ride of 75 miles for the day.

Pictures:
1. Mark, George & Norma, Ray, and Eddie
2. Mississippi monument at Gaines Mill Battle site
3. Two 1800 bikes of the fastest color, 2010 and 2018, at Malvern Hill
4. Lunch at Dockside along the James River
5. Grant’s winter home, 1864/65, City Point, Hopewell, VA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 04 28 01 Civil War Tour, Mark, George & Norma, Ray, Eddie, Mark.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	262743   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 28 06 Civil War Tour, Gaines Mill Battle site, VA.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	262745   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 28 10 Civil War Tour, Mark & Mark's bikes, Malvern Hill Battle site, VA.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	262747   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 28 12 Civil War Tour, lunch at the Dockside, Ray, George, Mark, Norma, Eddie.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	262749   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 28 16 Civil War Tour, Grant's House, City Point, Hopewell, VA.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	262751  

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

Last edited by crownfire; 05-10-2019 at 07:44 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Monday, April 29th, George & Norma were riding home, while Ray and I started out at Petersburg. We stopped at the visitor’s center and looked at some of the remaining trenches and then along Siege Road to the site of the Crater. This was where on July 30, 1864 the Union had tunneled under the Confederate line and blew it up. Siege Road ends at Crater Road and a left turn took us south to Flank Road. West on that ends at Halifax (604) and the site of Fort Wadsworth along the Petersburg line of trenches. From there we rode south to Reams Drive (606) and the site of an August 25, 1864 unsuccessful attempt by the Union to cut the railroad supplying Petersburg and Richmond. Continuing west on 606 we merged into 669 and 605. A right on Quaker Road (660) led us past the site the battle of Lewis Farm. This March 29, 1865 was an opening move of Grant’s spring offensive to cut off Petersburg and Richmond. This pushed the Confederate forces back to the White Oak Road. There was no place to pull over at the Historic Marker so we kept going to US 1 north and west on White Oak Road (613). We stopped at the White Oak Road defensive works and then continued west to Five Forks. A battle there on April 1, 1865 knocked the Confederates on the right back on their heels and set up the breakthrough on the Petersburg line and Lee’s retreat west to escape Grant’s clutches. We backtracked to Claiborne Road (631) and then north past Sutherland Station to ride the roads Lee retreated along on his way to Appomattox. That become 708 and our next stop was Namozine Church which was built in 1847. This is the site of a April 3, 1865 rearguard cavalry action to hold off General Custer. Looking at the time we decided that to make it to Appomattox and give it plenty of time we needed to get off the back roads and moving. So we rode over to 612 and then down 153 to US 460. A ride west, with a stop for lunch along the way, put us at the Appomattox Court House National Historic site about 14:00. We spent a couple hours there looking it over.

This day, the last Monday in April, is Confederate Memorial Day. I used to take my son out of school for a visit to many of the battlefields in our area for a history lesson. It was a terrible war and more American lives were lost during it than any other war in our nation’s history. Maybe we can learn from it.

To end out the day we had decided to overnight in Danville, VA. We continued on US 460 to Concord and west on Hwy 24 took us to US 29. South led us to Danville for a motel and nice pub a short walk away. A bit more than a CAT ride for a 237 mile day.

Pictures:
1. Namozine Church, built 1847
2. McClean house, Appomattox Court House
3. Room where Lee signed the surrender of his army
4. Appomattox Court House, jail behind and to the right
5. Appomattox jail
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 04 29 18 Civil War Tour, Namozine Church, VA.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	262753   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 29 26 Civil War Tour, McClean house, Appomattox Court House, VA.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	262755   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 29 27 Civil War Tour, McClean house, Appomattox Court House, VA.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	262757   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 29 24 Civil War Tour, Appomattox Court House, VA.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	262759   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 29 31 Civil War Tour, jail, Appomattox Court House, VA 2.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	262793  

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

Last edited by crownfire; 05-10-2019 at 07:34 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Tuesday we headed out to Damascus, VA and met Ray’s friend Billy. This is where we start the Coddiwomple portion of the ride. The definition of coddiwomple is “to travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination”. Coddiwomple is an English slang word but one which every motorcycle rider could easily add to their vocabulary. Ray even has a t-shirt. We headed west on US 58 which travels through a nice countryside and good curves on some narrow places along the way. In Damascus we met up with Billy who led us down Hwy 91 to Mountain City and then on US 421, The Snake, to Shady Valley. A stop there to pick up a sticker and then I led out for the rest of the run along The Snake to Bristol. Where the road widened Billy jumped in front and led us down 11E and 19E to a barbecue joint on the old Elizabethton Highway. If you ever have a chance to stop at Ridgewood Barbecue, I can highly recommend it. After lunch we continued on the old highway for a bit and then over to 19E. At White Rock we turned left onto Old Railroad Grade Road. This lane, maybe 1 ˝ lanes wide, led up and over the ridge and along the banks of the Doe River back to 19E. It was an interesting road and Billy said he had to lead us down at least one pig trail. At 143 we turned to go up and over Roan Mountain. We stopped at the state line into North Carolina at Carvers Gap for a photo op. Over into NC we travelled the curves on 261 to Bakersville. There we took a right on 226 for the curves back to the state line and over into TN and Unicoi. There we jumped on I 26 for a run into Johnson City where we planned to stay the night. Billy cut off towards his home along in there. Ray and I found a brewery within walking distance of our motel. Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then. It was an awesome day of riding the curvy roads and 333 miles clocked on the bike.

Pictures:
1. US 421 Snake marker, Ray, Billy, Mark
2. Old Railroad Grade Road
3. Old Railroad Grade Road cut
4. Roan Mountain road stop
5. Carver’s Gap
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 04 30 05 Civil War Tour US 421 The Snake.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	262763   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 30 12 Civil War Tour Rail Road Grade Road, TN.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	262765   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 30 13 Civil War Tour Rail Road Grade Road, TN.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	262767   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 30 16 Civil War Tour Rail Roan Mountain, TN.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	262769   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 04 30 17 Civil War Tour Rail Carver's Gap, TN.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	262771  

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:29 AM

Thanks for sharing Mark. You passed only a few miles from my house when you were on Route 17. Wish I had been home. Had a few beers at the brewery myself in the past.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crownfire likes this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Wednesday, May 1st, we were supposed to be up and home by the end of the day, but both Ray and I had eye trouble. Eye fell under the retired guys influence to keep riding for an extra day. So we continued to dance along the NC/TN state line and end up somewhere interesting at the end of the day. We ran down I-26 to Erwin and got off on Hwy 352 to enjoy the curves to the NC state line. On the other side it becomes 212 and took us down to 208. At the intersection I noticed a historic marker and stopped. The Shelton Laurel Massacre is part of the contentious Civil War history in NC/TN border area. Both side murdered those that didn’t agree with their actions in the war. Taking a right on 208 led us to US 25 and west on that took us through Hot Springs, NC and back over the border into TN and to Newport. We turned south on US 321 and headed to Gatlinburg. Turning into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on US 441 we looked at the fire damage there from 2016. Over Newfound Gap back into NC we rode down to Cherokee and then south on US 74 to Hwy 28 and 143 to Robbinsville. There we took the Cherohala Skyway (143) back into TN. We made a side trip up River Road for a photo op at Bald River Falls. Continuing into Tellico Plains we headed south on 68/5 to Blue Ridge, GA for the night. There are supposed to be three breweries in Blue Ridge. Two were closed and the one that was open had recently changed owners and didn’t have any of their own beer. We elected to look for another place to eat and wandered around town a bit before finding what might have been the only place open. The Blue Coyote had a nice selection of beer and some good eats. This day we crossed the TN/NC border four times and another border into GA for a 320 mile day.

Pictures:
1. Shelton Laurel Massacre historic marker
2. Great Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburg Fire damage
3. View into NC from Newfound Gap
4. Bald River Falls
5. Bald River Falls
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 05 01 01 Civil War Tour HWY 209, Madison County, NC.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	262773   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 05 01 02 Civil War Tour Great Smoky Mountains NP.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	262775   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 05 01 05 Civil War Tour Great Smoky Mountains NP Newfound Gap.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	262777   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 05 01 06 Civil War Tour Bald River Falls, TN.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	262779   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 05 01 12 Civil War Tour Bald River Falls, TN.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	262781  

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

Last edited by crownfire; 05-10-2019 at 07:36 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thursday, as Ray recommended, we “accidentally” headed SE instead of SW and took Hwy 60 from Morganton through Suches to US 19. A fantastic ride across the mountains and well worth the detour. There we actually started home heading south on 19 to Dahlonega, southwest on 9 to Dawsonville, and west on 53 to Rome. Then across US 411 to Gadsden, AL and back onto the go-fast roads for the run home. We split up at Meridian, MS. I made it to the house before 18:00 and a ride of 522 miles that day.

It was a great trip. Overall the trip was 2895 miles in nine days. That averaged 321 miles/day with the longest of 674 miles and least of 75 miles. I used 71 gallons of gas and averaged 40.8 miles per gallon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 05 01 99 Civil War Tour Bald River Falls.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	262783  

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode