Our Trip to COTA - Honda Goldwing Forums
 20Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Our Trip to COTA

OK, so this isn't really a ride report, but it does have to do with riding (even if it is the world's best racing around a track) so. I may never have the opportunity to see the Isle of Man TT in person so this is my next best choice. What one never knows is the variables involved in air travel and what can set you back on your schedule or throw other curves at you.
Departure Day, Wednesday evening, April 10:
We did the balance of our packing ahead of time so it was just do the check list thing and load the bags into the car and head for Edmonton AB for our flight early Thursday morning. After a very fine meal at the Mikado South once more, we settled in to our motel just minutes from the airport the next morning; it was to be a night of tossing and turning and at best, maybe an hour of sleep. We arrived in good time at the terminal, parked the car and headed to the ticket counter (no prior check-in due to shared airlines), no bags to check (all carry-on minis as we were traveling as light as possible) and went through the Nexus line in short order. After a departure lounge breakfast we headed to our gate to a greeting of a 3 hour delay due to a snowstorm in Minneapolis. So, after reading for a couple hours, we got another announcement. Minneapolis still closed due to snow and our flight delayed another 3 hours. Good bye connection to Austin. So we stay in the Twin cities over night right? Wrong. An hour later our flight there was cancelled as were all flights in and out of MSP for the day. The gal at Delta pulled out all the stops and got us on to Denver in the morning and then on to Austin Friday afternoon. So much for the practice day viewing and the autograph session Friday evening. No room at the Rennaisance (OK for $300 a night there were but..) Airport hotel, so we opted for a room at the Sheraton 3 miles away ($125) and they graciously let us in early so we could relax for the remainder of the afternoon. So, an evening meal watching the hockey game and then back to the room for a sleep. Not. Same s**t different pile as the night before only this time we had to be at the airport by 4:00 am to get our tickets sorted and boarding passes. Tried to eat some breakfast but nerves ended that in short order. so I had ice water instead along with some antacid. Terrific.
Finally in the air at 6:30 and on the ground in Denver at 11:00 (CDT). 3 hours later we were in the "friendly skies" to Austin. Made it to the hotel by 5, and after settling in, we strolled downtown to a seafood restaurant for some fresh Galveston oysters and a fine meal of shrimp for me and a seared tuna salad for herself. We both thought a margarita would go nicely, then herself said "it's early, let's get a pitcher of them!" Me being the accommodating dude I are I had to agree. Been a long time since I got the bill and the food was less than the drinks
Saturday's forecast wasn't stellar but not that bad and we boarded the tour bus to the track at 715 under cloudy, misty skies. By the time we got to the track it was an out and out downpour. No worries, the teams will put on rain tires and all will be good. Wrong! As we headed for the gate (which wasn't due to open for another 15 minutes, the light show started. Lightning everywhere, and strong winds. By now you've heard what transpired starting in west Texas and traveled northeast into 3 or 4 other states as well. So there we were under a metal frame awning tent in a blazing thunderstorm and wind driven downpour. Nice. Finally they let us into the main concourse area behind the main grandstand where they kept about a thousand of us imprisoned for another two hours. On the other side of the track above the pit area was our VIP lounge with hot food and drinks (adult type drinks too BTW) but alas they wouldn't let us go there. Argh.
Finally about 10:30 they let us out of jail and we scurried the half mile or so to the paddock and VIP quarters. Sausage and eggs and an espresso never tasted so good. The espresso was likely good thanks to the medicinal dark rum infused in it (em, medicinal of course).

Eventually the weather cleared and by 1:00 the track was drying out and brief practice sessions went on with rain tires still, and then the qualifying rounds began. While the speeds all 3 groups were displaying on the "wet" tires was astounding, what was really amazing was the noise level. With the main grandstand across from us, the paddock and pits below is the sound pretty much gets trapped and echoes everywhere at major Db levels. Ear plugs were definitely in order.
Moto 3 And Moto 2 were really no surprise with how the placings went. Alex Marquez took the poll in Moto 2 and Suzuki (riding on a Honda LOL) took Moto 3 Poll. Marc Marquez took the MotoGP poll by a significant margin and with the exception of Vinalez ending up in 12th on the grid, the front runners were all pretty much expected with Rossi in 2nd, Martin 3rd, Crutchlow (not Repsol but monster Honda) 4th, Dovisioso, Lorenzo, Ianone and the rest of the major players rounding out the top seeds. I'll try and post up a list more accurately complete with team affiliations as soon as I can. Bit of concentrated research to do on that part. But it eventually became the day I was waiting to see for a good many years. I have a whack of pics to download when I get time, and a couple vids I shot with my phone (they have a couple oops moments in them but they're not horrible. I don't have an editing software so not sure if I can clean them up at all but I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, these are before the action got going after the rain on Saturday from our vantage point above the paddock/pits in the VIP lounge area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_114900.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	262079   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_114904.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	262081   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_115149.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	262083  

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:30 PM

Awesome Daryl....looking forward to more pics!

And an Isle of Man trip would most definitely be a bucket list thing to do.......if only.....

Mark

2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Candy Ardent Red
'07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
AMA Member

DSi # 563 IDMWT #14
Riding soothes my soul.....
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

DEon't you just LOVE IT when thing go right!!!!!!!!!!

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
So, some pics from Sunday's action. No spoilers here, just some shots I'm happy with. No descriptions yet, just the raw shots. Nikon D80 with a Tamron 70-300 zoom 1.4-5.6. 300mm obviously...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	088.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	262085   Click image for larger version

Name:	086.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	262087   Click image for larger version

Name:	089.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	262089   Click image for larger version

Name:	095.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	262091   Click image for larger version

Name:	082.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	262093  

current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Few more. Actual subjects to follow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	092.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	262095   Click image for larger version

Name:	099.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	262097   Click image for larger version

Name:	082.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	262099   Click image for larger version

Name:	106.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	262101   Click image for larger version

Name:	097.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	262103  

Daryl
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Sweet! I thought about trying to get over there but this darn work thing gets in the way. One of these days......

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Nicely done pal, and strong percerviernce in the face of changes.

I watched the 2nd race on the tube and looks like the bikes really love that track.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, a little too fast for my blood (except maybe in the Corvette) LOL Thanks for the great pic Daryl. Can't wait to see the rest and some videos. Thanks for taking us along..

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Illusion Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Nicely done pal, and strong percerviernce in the face of changes.

I watched the 2nd race on the tube and looks like the bikes really love that track.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Lots of conflicting thoughts on the track. Riders say it was rough and unpredictable. There's a major bump somewhere on the back side after turn 1 either in the esses or just out of them. They say it's dangerously big. I spoke with a guy that has done a race school there and he agrees it's evil for bikes. Cars (Indy or otherwise) don't barely notice it apparently so COTA isn't really concerned. They will be if Dorna pulls the plug because of it. The track looks super smooth, but in reality it's diamond cut and very ragged. Hard on tires too.

Daryl
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Glad you made it (still smiling) after all that
Great pics
My brother was mentioning the storm and entrapment on Sat.
Looking forward to more pics/videos
Enjoy

every day is a good day ......some are just gooder than others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode