Upcoming Virginia Civil War Tour Ride - Honda Goldwing Forums
 39Likes

Old 03-10-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Upcoming Virginia Civil War Tour Ride

Just putting this out. Fossil and I are planning a tour of Civil War battle sites in Virginia the end of April. Y’all are welcome to tag along, ride your own interests while we do our thing, or just meet up with us for an adult beverage or two in the evenings.

Our plans are;

Wednesday, April 24, Crownfire is leaving early and heading to Morganton, North Carolina. Mostly Interstates but taking the short cut from Cleveland, TN to Waynesville, NC then I-40 to Morganton. Not sure where I’m staying yet. There just happens to be Sidetracked Brewery next to the old railroad station downtown. Also, the Catawba Brewing Company is pretty close by.

Thursday, April 25, Crownfire is heading toward Virginia and will make a few stops at small battle sites along the way. Interstate into Virginia and then back roads up to Culpepper, VA for the night. Most likely the Holiday Inn Express, but I haven’t made reservations as yet. Far Gohn Brewing or Beer Hound Brewery just might be visited in the evening.

Friday, April 26, Fossil will leave out early to meet Crownfire at the Manassas Battlefield (1861 & 1862). From there we will visit Chancellorsville, Salem Church, and Fredericksburg Battlefields (1863). We will be staying at the Hampton Inn, 400 Market Street, Fredericksburg. Adventure or Strangeways Brewing may be on the agenda or possibly A. Smith Bowman Distillery. (I did mention adult beverages, didn’t I?)

Saturday, April 27, we will wander through the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Yellow Tavern Battlefields (1864) and down to Richmond – Tredgar Iron Works. We will be staying two nights at the Holiday Inn Express, 1911 W. Hundred Road, Chester, VA. The Taphouse Brew Pub is close by, but we are still looking the area over.

Sunday, April 28, we will ride the route of the Seven Days Battles (1862) along with a stop at the Cold Harbor Battlefield (1864) ending up at Petersburg Battlefield Headquarters. Back to Chester for the night.

Monday, April 29, we will ride the Retreat route to Appomattox Court House (1865). In some Southern States this is still a state holiday; Confederate Memorial Day. We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express, 5600 Seminole Ave., Lynchburg, VA. Bootleggers is a rustic style tavern for food and whiskey so that may fit the bill to top off a great long weekend.

Tuesday, April 30, Fossil rides north to Pennsylvania and Crownfire will ride down into North Carolina for the night. Most likely back roads all the way to Murphy, NC for the night. That will be approximate as I plan to zig-zag my way there to fill in some counties that I’ve never visited and maybe a couple small battle sites along the way.

Monday, May 1, Crownfire will end up on I-59 somewhere around Chattanooga and run the rest of the way home on the slab.

Nothing here is mandatory or set in stone. Well, some of it is. Come join us for all or part. First beer is on me.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 08:51 PM

Sounds more like a Brewery Tour!

Puting that on my calendar - hopefully Cheryl will be in remission at that point, and will want me to go away for a while.

Sing to Him who rides across the heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky.
Ps 68:33
fossil92, Chopin and crownfire like this.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 PM

Garage
Make sure to Holler out when you are in Fredericksburg Va As that is where I live. And Steve is not far away either.

IDMWT Member #96

J.C.
1975 Honda GL1000 Mule deer really liked it
1982 Honda CM450E 118K when finally fell apart
2007 Yamaha V-MAX Rejetted Carbs made it scary fast.
2014 Goldwing Basic in black

Ride everyday except when raining (or snowing) on the way to work.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Interesting tour @crownfire , now that I see it in writing.
crownfire likes this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Old 03-11-2019, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Surfer View Post
Sounds more like a Brewery Tour!

Puting that on my calendar - hopefully Cheryl will be in remission at that point, and will want me to go away for a while.

Sing to Him who rides across the heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky.
Ps 68:33
That would be awesome, sure hope that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsouders5464 View Post
Make sure to Holler out when you are in Fredericksburg Va As that is where I live. And Steve is not far away either.
I'll PM you my cell number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Interesting tour @crownfire , now that I see it in writing.
I do believe it will be a fast and furious tour.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

Old 03-11-2019, 04:42 AM

Elaine and I will see you folks on the 27th and 28th.....woohoo!

Mark

2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Candy Ardent Red
'07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
AMA Member

DSi # 563 IDMWT #14
Riding soothes my soul.....
Old 03-11-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ngin1t View Post
Elaine and I will see you folks on the 27th and 28th.....woohoo!
I was planning on seeing y'all. Enjoy your cruise.
W1ngin1t likes this.

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

Old 03-11-2019, 05:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Come on up , Mark ! Come on down, Bill ! I'll meet you in the middle.

Lee.
Darksider since I can remember.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hey Mark, just thinking aloud here. There may be more walking than riding involved.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Old 03-11-2019, 06:04 AM

Garage
Would love to go with you guys. I have been a big Civil War buff for a very long time.

It is a long way from here to there though but that wouldn't be a problem if it didn't conflict with other plans. On those dates I will be doing the Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route all the way from the southern Arizona border to Page, Arizona on my 2017 KTM Super Adventure R. Little bit different kind of riding.

Before then in a couple of weeks I will be heading to Moab, Utah to do some dirt bike riding with some buddies on my Husky TE300i.

It is a real dilemma what to do when you have three completely different types of motorcycles. This last sentence is supposed to generate some envy.
fossil92 and Luv2fish like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in