Aussies Next Ride planning begins for ?2020/2021 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 16Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Aussies Next Ride planning begins for ?2020/2021

V here - I have left you guys to your thing for awhile now - but back to pester you....

So it is that time again.... so far we are thinking and have made a list of "musts" for the next ride. Included in that, is that we tick off the last of the contigous US states we have not yet made it to, included in that - Nevada (Eric wants to ride the "Loneliest Hwy/50"), Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, South Carolina and Florida. we want to have some time in the NW and some time in the SW or is that midwest?. I want to spend some time at the Great Smokey Mtns NP, we want to spend maybe a couple of weeks in Colorado riding a few of those roads that go West - East, visit the Mesa Verde. We also want to head up into Canada to find some of those rocks we are told are there. Currently we think to make this our last big USA ride but not necessarily our last USA visit - so we think we could do a 90 day stay (Eric gets "long service leave" in just under 12 months which is for 90 days) - about the longest we can get a visa to be in the USA in one go. All this is the beginning of tossing around ideas and planning at the moment. we are considering where to begin and because we will need to have a new bike that could be anywhere - maybe even down South... So, when is the best time to be in the SE (Florida/SC) area to avoid the hurricane season and tornados? and then Kerry and Daryl, when is the best time to plan to be in Canada to be able to ride safely and not be held up by heavy snow falls? Looking forward to searching out those Canadian rocks

Thanks for your time folks :-) V

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I see the Fossils meeting up with their Mates in Nevada, Utah, or Colorado. Hmmmmm got me thinking now Lady.

Or if time permits and we are there......M&G in AZ. and then we explore with our mates.
detdrbuzzard likes this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

YEA, the Mates are coming back to the USA. I know by the time you are ready to return the Aussie suite may have moved to AZ, but if you get this far east I hope Pa is one of your stops. Keep us informed of your itinerary as you finalize.

GUYS, we need to be on the lookout for a good quality set of wheels for our friends,

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Illusion Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain

Last edited by Two Wheel Wing; 02-27-2019 at 06:18 AM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:39 AM

Glad you are coming back to the states. Keep us informed on your plans and I hope we can meet up.

Superdave1120
Sayre, PA
1980 650 Yamaha First Ride
1989 GL1500 First Wing
2006 750 Shadow Wifes Ride
2012 GL1800 New Wing (Red)
IBA #63784
Darksider #1664
Michelin Alpine P3 195/55/R16
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Garage
V, once you get out of mid May, you should be good until September for avoiding snow, but I've seen some really strange weather in the Rockies. black ice in August for crying out loud so you never are guaranteed. On the other hand I've seen +30*c in September so. Do keep us in the loop, peeps will want to join in the "hooning" around!

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Well you know you got a bed here.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Hurricanes aren't that big of a problem. You see them coming for a week and can easily avoid them. They are more likely to really impact the coastal areas in August and September. But it does get hot and humid starting in June into August. My favorite time is April and May in the spring and then October in the fall.

The Southeast Aussie Suit will be here or a bit south by right about then. I'm leaning toward retirement between July and December, 2020. Around that time we hope to move down closer to the coast around Wiggins, MS. (Martena is already house hunting.) Also, that's my timing for a new bike so there just may be a bike of the fastest color available to borrow. A 2020/21 Wing will hopefully be my retirement gift as will be a ride to Hyder, AK.
Two Wheel Wing and fossil92 like this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

I was in the wrong post, so I will get back to this later.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
I see the Fossils meeting up with their Mates in Nevada, Utah, or Colorado. Hmmmmm got me thinking now Lady.

Or if time permits and we are there......M&G in AZ. and then we explore with our mates.
Now, Bill, just relax - you have so much to do before you worry about a M&G in Arizona -

We are info gathering right now... Meeting up with the "Fossils" is going to be on the plan for sure - just going to have to decide 2020 or 2021 - Maybe for some of our US Mates 2021 would be a good time to aim for and then go for May to July - Start down South - work our way East/South-east then wiggle up North via GA, SC, NC, Great Smokey Mtn NP, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Montana and enter Alberta, across to British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, NE California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona and exit the USA wherever we need to due to the bike. As we said last big USA ride but not the last visit - too many great friends to say "so sad, never gonna see you again" - so not ready to say that... Very general at this time and as you know our route changes numerous times before we actually begin - especially because locals say "you are going to want to see this...... " and usually they are correct

Btw - I downloaded a book to my Kindle, seems like a hard copy isn't possible except second hand,
"Arizona and New Mexico - 25 Scenic Side Trips" by Rick Quinn. Have you and JaNice seen it? would be a good book to have in the bookshelf seeing you are going to live in the area. The only thing reading it on my Tablet so I get the coloured pics and maps is that the pics are badly distorted, but worth the buy... I am getting some ideas even if it has to be a return trip and done in a car Some trips would make great M/c rides, too, IMHO. The maps are awesome! V

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave1120 View Post
Glad you are coming back to the states. Keep us informed on your plans and I hope we can meet up.
Would be looking forward to catching up Dave, will have to see how our route planning goes... V

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode