Civil War Tour Ride - Honda Goldwing Forums
 32Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Civil War Tour Ride

I know many of you are looking at some strange white stuff that keeps y'all from riding. Just putting this out so you know that one day you will be able to ride too. Today was supposed to be warm and sunny with a high in the upper 50ís. Thanks to Congress for keeping me at home I decided to take a Civil War tour ride. When I got up there wasnít a cloud in the sky. When I saddled up to leave it was completely clouded over and still in the low 40ís. I headed out to the Natchez Trace and took it all the way west to Hwy 467 near Raymond. Heading west for just a bit on that I took a right on Chapel Hill Road to Billy Fields Road. Back on May 16, 1863 Billy Fields was the Middle Road and intersected with the Jackson and Ratliff Road on Champion Hill. On that day the Confederate forces tried to stop Grant and his Army on their way to Vicksburg. I left there and headed back to 467 and then west to Edwards and US Hwy 80. This is an old road that most traffic uses I-20 now. The last time I was on it the pavement was in bad shape. I was surprised to find it freshly paved and a good road. It took me west to the Big Black River Bridge. At this site on May 17, 1863 Confederate forces again tried to stop Grant. It didnít go well and they retreated into the lines around Vicksburg.

Pictures;
1. This is the intersection of Middle and Jackson Roads that was the center of the battlefield of Champion Hill. The Jackson Road is the two-track behind the bike.
2. This is along US 80 at the Big Black River Bridge looking east.
3. This is along US 80 at the Big Black River Bridge looking south, the railroad is in the background and the river to the right.
4. US 80 Big Black River Bridge
5. US 80 Big Black River Bridge, built in the early 1930's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 01 Champion Hill Battlefield.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	260265   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 05 Big Black River Bridge Battlefield.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	260267   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 06 Big Black River Bridge Battlefield.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	260269   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 07 Big Black River Bridge.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	260271   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 08 Big Black River Bridge.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	260273  

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

I went into the Vicksburg Military Park visitorís center and talked with the volunteers for a bit. They are keeping the Park open to the public with donations from the city of Vicksburg and private funding during the government shutdown. I rode the Union lines north to the Cairo Museum. The USS Cairo (say Kayrow) was sunk by a mine in the Yazoo River north of Vicksburg. It was located and raised and has a special place in the Park. It had been a while since I stopped here and I spent some time in the museum and looking around.

Pictures;
1. Along the Union lines on the bluff above where the Yazoo River and Mississippi River met in 1863.
2. USS Cairo
3. USS Cairo interior
4. USS Cairo gunport, look at the fast looking bike in the parking lot....
5. USS Cairo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 13 Vicksburg North end Yazoo River.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	260275   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 16 Vicksburg USS Cairo Exibit.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	260277   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 17 Vicksburg USS Cairo Exhibit.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	260279   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 18 Vicksburg USS Cairo Exhibit.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	260281   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 20 Vicksburg USS Cairo.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	260283  

detdrbuzzard, NREMTP and DesertRat like this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Afterwards they did have a part of the Park closed and detoured everyone into Vicksburg on Fort Hill Drive. I had never left the Park on that road before so it was interesting to see the red markers showing Confederate troop placement in peopleís front yards on the ridge into town. I had intended to eat lunch at the Cottonwood Public House but they were not open for lunch. So, it was 10 Rooftop for their chili and a beer for me. Afterwards I headed back to the Park to visit the area south of the Visitorís Center. They had taken down the trees a few years ago so now you can see what the men in the trenches saw back in 1863. I stopped at the Railroad Redoubt and Fort Garrott.

Pictures;
1. lunch break
2. Railroad Redoubt, Union lines are on the ridge across the way
3. Texas Monument
4. Fort Garrott Confederate view
5. Union lines view of Fort Garrott and approach lines, they were about 50 feet away when the Confederates surrendered on July 4, 1863
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 21 Vicksburg Lunch Break.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	260285   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 23 Vicksburg Railroad Redoubt.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	260287   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 23 Vicksburg Texas Monument.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	260291   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 26 Vicksburg Fort Garrott.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	260293   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 28 Vicksburg Fort Garrott Union approaches.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	260295  

detdrbuzzard, NREMTP and DesertRat like this.

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Then I headed home. Jumping on I-20 for a little portion to get east to Hwy 22. This is a great road if you get your speed up a bit. Nice sweeping curves and since I had the road to myself it was fun. At least until I got close to town and then it crowed up a mite. I made it home in time to get a little fire started and relax before the breadwinner came home. The sun never did come out, but it was still a good day on the bike. The past couple weeks have been good practice for retirement. I could get used to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 01 16 Civil War Tour Ride 29 Home.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	260297  

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 AM

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Back a number of years ago, me and the wife took a 2 week tour up the Shenandoah valley culminating at Gettysburg. We stopped at most of the War for Southern Independence sites along the way. Over the years I have visited all the major sites and a lot of the minor sites in the eastern theater. I have not visited a lot of the sites in the west yet but I am working on them.
detdrbuzzard and crownfire like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Nicely Done. "Hello Ironclad", they are doing a good job and illustrating the naval life of those days.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:15 PM

Battle of New Market -

Hey Mark - I also enjoy following the troop routes and battles fought during the civil war. I keep quite a number battle field maps in my tank bag for easy access. There was one marker I stumbled on for a confederate bivouac area stuck on an old metal post in the middle of a Savannah mall parking lot.

One of my favorite historic sites is the "Battle of New Market" near Staunton (?), Virginia. The seasoned union army out numbered the confederates by around 2k soldiers even after a local Virginia Military Academy of 250 teenage cadets volunteered to weigh into the battle. Some how after the dust settled the confederates won the day.

With the skirmish lines scattered all over the place, today some of the bloodiest fighting is now located just over a barbed wire fence on privately owned land. After talking to a couple of the locals in the Jon Henry General Store I found out about a remote place to dry camp (for a small fee) along the North Fork on the Shenandoah River. It turned out to be on the opposite bank from the main battle but enjoyed myself wandering around through the brush and exploring places that may have well have been sacred ground.

Ride Safe - Michael
crownfire and DesertRat like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:03 PM

Garage
Nice way to spend an afternoon. Good to know there are other Civil War followers on Goldwings also. I became a Civil War enthusiast back in 1974 while visiting an aunt, uncle, and cousin while on liberty from my ship. My uncle had a copy of Bruce Catton's "A Stillness at Appomattox" which I read that weekend. It got me hooked on the Civil War. One of my things to do is tour more Civil War battlefields with our youngest son on motorcycles. Charlotte, Atlanta, Shiloh, Harpers Ferry, Gettysburg, and Chattanooga are already crossed off the list so it will have to be the battlefields of the Army of Northern Virginia in Virginia and Maryland. Just getting to them from the Four Corners will be an adventure in itself. Keep posting stuff like this it is very enjoyable.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Nice way to spend an afternoon. Good to know there are other Civil War followers on Goldwings also. I became a Civil War enthusiast back in 1974 while visiting an aunt, uncle, and cousin while on liberty from my ship. My uncle had a copy of Bruce Catton's "A Stillness at Appomattox" which I read that weekend. It got me hooked on the Civil War. One of my things to do is tour more Civil War battlefields with our youngest son on motorcycles. Charlotte, Atlanta, Shiloh, Harpers Ferry, Gettysburg, and Chattanooga are already crossed off the list so it will have to be the battlefields of the Army of Northern Virginia in Virginia and Maryland. Just getting to them from the Four Corners will be an adventure in itself. Keep posting stuff like this it is very enjoyable.
There are a few of us with this interest. I've been to most in the States around here and plan to visit many in Virginia in the Spring. Have you been to the battlefield in New Mexico? Glorietta Pass https://www.battlefields.org/visit/b...ss-battlefield
and Fort Craig both are in New Mexico.

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:15 PM

Garage
Been to Fort Craig just south of Socorro, New Mexico which was the first encounter between the Confederate force that invaded New Mexico before it was ultimately defeated at Glorietta Pass. Not much left of the fort because it was constructed of adobe. But one can imagine Kit Carson and his New Mexico militia, with the aid of a few Union troops, getting ready to battle the Confederates moving up the opposite side of the Rio Grande. The Confederates pretty much shook the militia off in a short running battle because their real intent was to capture Santa Fe hundreds of miles to the north. Would not recommend riding a Goldwing to Fort Craig it is a pretty rough dirt road the final few miles into the site. Have taken an adventure bike to it though.
crownfire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode