Civil War Tour Ride - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 32Likes

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for the RR with pic's mark. with a dusting of snow on the ground and still fighting a head cold I can't get out on the GSA or any other bike

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Been to Fort Craig just south of Socorro, New Mexico which was the first encounter between the Confederate force that invaded New Mexico before it was ultimately defeated at Glorietta Pass. Not much left of the fort because it was constructed of adobe. But one can imagine Kit Carson and his New Mexico militia, with the aid of a few Union troops, getting ready to battle the Confederates moving up the opposite side of the Rio Grande. The Confederates pretty much shook the militia off in a short running battle because their real intent was to capture Santa Fe hundreds of miles to the north. Would not recommend riding a Goldwing to Fort Craig it is a pretty rough dirt road the final few miles into the site. Have taken an adventure bike to it though.

@DesertRat be sure to hit Picacho Peak about 40 miles NW of Tucson off I-10 heading to Phoenix. Site of the Western most skirmish, cool park with other things to do as well.

The website associated with the link below is a fantastic site that both Mark and I use and is of all era military battlefields in U.S.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/c...s/picacho-peak
crownfire, F6Pilot and DesertRat like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Continued......

Today not much was going on at the office and the sun was out and the temperature was 55 at noon. I needed to burn some credit time so took the afternoon off on a beautiful day to ride. There are some sites around Jackson from the siege of this city after the fall of Vicksburg. These are just outside the downtown area and sort of on the way home. Sherman moved his troops from Vicksburg east to destroy the railroad and any resistance from the east. The Confederate forces were dug in around the city and held off Sherman and his troops for a week or so before retreating east.

My first historic marker was a Confederate Battery position on a hill at State and Manship Streets. Picture 1 and 2. Two is looking north across to the hill occupied by the damn Yankees.

Just a short piece east from there at the corner of Poplar Blvd and Greymont Ave. is the hill where a Michigan Regiment attacked the Confederate works on July 11, 1863. Pictures 3 and 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 02 13 Jackson Seige 01 Confederate Battery Position.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	260737   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 02 13 Jackson Seige 02 Confederate Battery Position.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	260739   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 02 13 Jackson Seige 03 2nd MI charge.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	260741   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 02 13 Jackson Seige 04 2nd MI charge.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	260743  
DesertRat likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

Last edited by crownfire; 02-13-2019 at 07:35 PM.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

From there I rode north across the bottom to the Union lines. At the time this area was the State Home for the Insane, and is now the University of Mississippi Medical Center complex. This is one of the few sites in the city with the works still present. This one is a Union Battery position. Picture 2 is looking over the works at the hill across the way is the Confederate works from the fist two pictures. They are less than a mile apart.

Afterwards I continued the back roads home for a nice little CAT ride on a nice winter day. When I got home I had a good cigar and a couple of cold beers sitting in the sun. I hope your winter ends soon and the rest of you can get back on the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 02 13 Jackson Seige 05 Union Battery Position.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	260745   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 02 13 Jackson Seige 06 Union Battery Position.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	260747  
DesertRat likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:20 PM

Jackson -

Hey Mark - I'll definitely have to slow down and take the time to visit these gun emplacements next trip I'm anywhere near Jackson. I really enjoy taking in the monuments and battle sites of any civil war historical areas.

There are a few skirmish sites outside the Natchez Cemetery that only the locals know about. You can dry camp over night if you pull your antenna in and don't build a fire. Perhaps there will be something similar around a few of the historical sites available outside Jackson as well ?

Ride Safe - Michael
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Hey Mark - I'll definitely have to slow down and take the time to visit these gun emplacements next trip I'm anywhere near Jackson. I really enjoy taking in the monuments and battle sites of any civil war historical areas.

There are a few skirmish sites outside the Natchez Cemetery that only the locals know about. You can dry camp over night if you pull your antenna in and don't build a fire. Perhaps there will be something similar around a few of the historical sites available outside Jackson as well ?

Ride Safe - Michael
I wouldn't advise camping anywhere around Jackson. Around the medical centers and downtown aren't bad neighborhoods, but there is just no place to get out of the way. There is a State Park just off I-55 and Lakeland, but I am just 20 miles from downtown and you can camp here. Grand Gulf isn't far north of Natchez. There may be some campsites there or I know the Natchez Trace has a campground at Rocky Springs which is a little north of Port Gibson.

I don't know of any sites in Natchez. Where would those be? That's a great day ride from here. Either on the Natchez Trace, Old Port Gibson Road, or down through Union Church on 28.

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Impromptu Camp Site - Natchez

Hey Mark - As most Civil War Buffs know the town of Natchez surrendered to union occupation with little if any serious opposition from the fear of similar canon bombardment that Vicksburg had received. According to the locals, the few skirmishes that did occur were primarily north of town around what was later renamed the Town of Natchez Cemetery. With the town cowed, even though their original tiny cemetery was designated to intern confederate soldiers, they offered up the site as a place to rebury the scattered northern soldiers as well.

After spending the afternoon walking around amongst some of the oldest civil war era headstones, I began to scout out a quiet camp site for the night. Many of the fenced family plots, large grave stones and Mausoleums crowded beside the single lane roads were really ornate and had to have cost a small fortune. I found a couple of possible camp sites but then realized that the entrance gates would probably be locked each evening.

The place I finally located was actually in a large stand of trees just behind the cemetery. I took the original old cemetery road leaving town past the cemetery entrance and then turned right on a dilapidated (Marble-something ?) semi-paved road. Then just past a church I took an even worse unimproved dirt road for about half a mile. Once I was isolated away from any houses I started weaving my way into the trees. I camped directly against the rear boundary of the cemetery.

I usually dunk my store bought carton of milk in a cold creek over night for breakfast - but this time no creek so no milk. Except for a friendly civil war buff hound dog I shared some cold pork-n-beans, cheese and sausage with, it was a very peaceful night and didn't see a single ghost march by.

Ride Safe - Michael
crownfire likes this.

Last edited by JK McDonald; 02-15-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I know about Natchez. Cool town and very historic. I had a girlfriend from there not long after I moved to Mississippi. She told me that when the Yankees came calling the town threw up it's hands and said they were just kidding. Thanks for the tips, I'll go look at that cemetery.

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:15 PM

Accuate Bearings -

Hey Mark - I dug out my DNK (Did Not Know) travel note book that I keep on most of my camping trips. I usually put together reasonably good directions along with a brief description of a place if I find it interesting. Since you mentioned maybe riding out to visit the Natchez cemetery some time I wanted to make sure my bearings were accurate. It has been well over a year when I was there. There is an old Chinese saying that the lightest ink on paper is better than the best memory.

I'm sure you would notice that there is a second cemetery for the city of Natchez. The National Historic - Civil War Cemetery I had mentioned is farther on out cemetery road. The road I used to get back into the trees behind the cemetery was the Marblestone Rd. The dirt turn-off was a service access to some oil well equipment. Although this dirt road was blocked off by an old cyclone gate, there was a set of tire tracks around it through the bushes. If you happen to come across my hound dog camping buddy, say Hi and he's really partial to pork-n-beans. .

Ride Safe - Michael
crownfire likes this.

Last edited by JK McDonald; 02-15-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

And another tour day

Last Sunday was a pretty day. The sun was actually out and it was supposed to get close to 60 degrees for a high. I had been needing to prune the oak on the corner to get the mistletoe out of it again. I did that in the morning and not to squander the whole day with stuff that needed doing, headed out at noon on the bike for a ride to find a few more Civil War historical markers. I went out the back roads from Meltonville to Hwy 22 and on to Flora. Turning north on US 49 toward Yazoo City, but the first marker was just west of 49 on Concord Church Road. The Concord Baptist Church was established in 1843. It was a neat old, and narrow road along the ridges to the church. On December 1, 1864 the Confederate forces consisting of the 17th Arkansas Mounted Infantry and Woods Cavalry Regiment clashed with the 2nd Wisconsin Cavalry. The sign described 40 Union casualties but didnít mention who ran off whom. Old cemeteries are always interesting and I walked up to it. To my surprise I noticed a Union Army service headstone. It showed Dennis Sigh had served in Company B of the 46th Pennsylvania Infantry. (He died in 1927) Even more surprising was the headstone just behind his of Archibald Screws with a Confederate service headstone. He served with Company E of the 16th Mississippi Infantry. Just think of these two in the same church after the war. Iíve looked for some information on these two but havenít come up with anything yet.

Pictures:
1. Concord Baptist Church
2. Cemetery
3. Union headstone for Dennis Sigh
4. Confederate headstone for Archibald Screws
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019 02 24 Civil War Tour Ride Yazoo County 02 Concord Church Skirmish.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	261081   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 02 24 Civil War Tour Ride Yazoo County 03 Concord Church Cemetery.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	261083   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 02 24 Civil War Tour Ride Yazoo County 04 Concord Church Cemetery.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	261085   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 02 24 Civil War Tour Ride Yazoo County 06 Concord Church Cemetery.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	261087  
Chopin and DesertRat like this.

Mark
2010 Honda GL1800
IDMWT #86

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode