Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Rockies 2019 M&G Anyone?

17K views 136 replies 17 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
Cantankerous suggested in a PM that maybe it's time for another Western Canadian M&G this summer. Last time (3 years ago!) we got a small group together in Ainsworth, BC for a few days and had a good time, even if we did get rained out one of the days. I thought maybe we could start with a thread here to judge interest. I'm sure it's a little late already and lots of folks already have summer riding plans set, but lets see what we can do. Tomorrow I'll call the motel we stayed at last time and see if they can accommodate again, but there are a couple of other reasonably priced motels, hotels and even motorcycle campgrounds in the area. Right now we're thinking late June; maybe June 20-22, or early July. June would probably be best given how busy this area gets once schools out.

Sooooo, who's game?

#4 ·
This would be an after retirement ride for me, which means 2021 most likely. Y'all enjoy and scout good locations for the next one.

Reactions: W1ngin1t
#6 ·
Hey Kerry, as already stated on other post, I'll be heading in that direction with a buddy on a long haul trip near the end of July. If the timing is right, I'll try to swing by to meet up.

#11 ·
I spoke to Glen, the owner of the Ainsworth Motel (http://ainsworthmotel.com/) and they're fully booked on Sunday, June 23rd (bicycle tour group), but wide open from the 20th to the 22nd (well except for the one room I just booked, just in case). The rates are:

1 Queen - 109.35CDN
1 Queen 1 Dbl - 126.61CDN
2 Dbl - 126.61CDN
1 Queen + 1Dbl in separate room - 143.88CDN
Cabin - 1 Queen + pullout in main room, 2 single in bedroom - 184.16CDN

There is also the Kaslo Motel (http://kaslomotel.ca/index.html) which isn't bad at all, and has some advantages and some disadvantages. The disadvantage is they don't have the outstanding view - they're not on the lake, and they're farther from the motorcycle campground and the hot springs. The advantages though are that they're cheaper with rooms ranging from $68 to $88, and they're right in the town of Kaslo so easy access to restaurants, the micro-brew :beerchug:, and groceries. I stayed there with my brother last year and it was fine - nothing special - clean, but could have better beds. Nice courtyard for sitting out as long as it's not raining :tapfoot:. Unfortunately, they're booked solid on June 20th and 21st (bet it's the same bicycle group!). We could always push a week ahead (13-15th) or do Sat - Mon (22-24). Personally, I think I'd lean this way myself.

#12 ·
Personally, I don't want to make any earlier, sure don't want a repeat of the weather from last time.

What is the parking like in Kaslo?

I do like the way we were treated by Glen at the Ainsworth Motel.
If anybody wants to share the cabin or the room with a separate bedroom, I'd be open to that.

#15 ·
Parking in Kaslo should be fine - there's lots of street parking out front, and some more secluded parking on the grounds for 4 or 5 bikes.

I hear ya on the weather thing!

#22 ·
Even though Kaslo is less expensive, I'm not real keen on the idea of possibly having to park on the street.

#24 ·
I just got off the phone with the owner of the Kaslo Motel. She assured me that there would be parking in her back driveway. That's where I parked last year, and it's very secluded.

Besides, there will be so many shiny HD's and Indians around that our GW's will be invisible :LaughHard:

#26 ·
Unfortunately, I can't commit right now. I just received an estimate to do sewer repair and at this point I can't justify both. I'm still trying though.

#29 ·
Ok, slight change in date:

We'll meet in Kaslo, BC at the Kaslo Motel (http://www.kaslomotel.ca) for July 4,5,6. The motel says they have a dozen or so rooms available. Cancellation policy is 6pm the day before arrival.

There is also a hotel in Kaslo (Kaslo Hotel) - it's very nice, but also very spendy.

Hopefully we can get a few people there to enjoy some terrific roads!

#33 ·
That's a shame. :frown2: We'll do it again in the future for sure; hopefully you can make it at some point.

#35 ·
I'm working on it. Need to figure logistics between herself and I for days off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.