Grand Adventure Completion! - Honda Goldwing Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Grand Adventure Completion!

This is the third and last thread I've created describing my Grand Adventure. In March through May I took my 2015 GW From San Diego to Key West to Fairbanks and back to SD. Then in August through today I completed my plan and drove to Prince Edward Island and back. 27,580 miles. Never dropped the bike and never ran out of gas. Sadly and happily, I don't have any "almost hit a deer" stories.

39(?) states, 7 provinces and 1 territory visited. Five time zones. Five ferries. 80 miles of loose Canadian gravel. Weirdest town name: Howey-In-The-Hills, FL. Weirdest town: Hyder, AK. Biggest double-take: Country's smallest active post office in FL. Best museum no one's seen: Collier Logging Museum in OR. Best place overall: Home.

Describing the impact of touring North America from the seat of the finest lounge chair on two wheels is impossible to encapsulate in only a few sentences. We're fortunate to have wonderful sights that take your breath away and incredible people who warm your heart. The USA and Canada are two great countries.

Blog DLAJourney.com. I'm pretty proud of it. Didn't miss a day. I have to admit I got serious homesickness during the final week, so the blog suffers in the end.

==================

==================
Old enough to know better; Young enough to do it anyway!

Traveling the country! dlajourney.com
Suzuki 185
Suzuki 250
Kawasaki 650 "Son of Z1" (TransCanada Highway, then Hokkaido, Japan)
Interregnum for family/children
Kawasaki Vulcan 900
BMW K1200LT (I thought I liked it, until . . .)
GL1800 40th Anniversary (My last and best)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinetc View Post
This is the third and last thread I've created describing my Grand Adventure. In March through May I took my 2015 GW From San Diego to Key West to Fairbanks and back to SD. Then in August through today I completed my plan and drove to Prince Edward Island and back. 27,580 miles. Never dropped the bike and never ran out of gas. Sadly and happily, I don't have any "almost hit a deer" stories.

39(?) states, 7 provinces and 1 territory visited. Five time zones. Five ferries. 80 miles of loose Canadian gravel. Weirdest town name: Howey-In-The-Hills, FL. Weirdest town: Hyder, AK. Biggest double-take: Country's smallest active post office in FL. Best museum no one's seen: Collier Logging Museum in OR. Best place overall: Home.

Describing the impact of touring North America from the seat of the finest lounge chair on two wheels is impossible to encapsulate in only a few sentences. We're fortunate to have wonderful sights that take your breath away and incredible people who warm your heart. The USA and Canada are two great countries.

Blog DLAJourney.com. I'm pretty proud of it. Didn't miss a day. I have to admit I got serious homesickness during the final week, so the blog suffers in the end.

Incredible journey, and great reading, too! Is it going to be hard for you to follow this adventure up, or do you have your sights on another ride? Part of your entry above reminded me of the 1939 version of the Wizard of Oz... With all your travels, and sights you've experienced, it appears that "There's no place like home."

Al

Current ride is a 1993 1500 Aspencade, and it's Red, because, well, you know...

1978 KZ 650 Kawasaki
1974 KZ 400 Kawasaki
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinetc View Post

Truly you have set the bar (for me at least) on a great trip and documenting the memory. Thank you for taking the time and effort to do the blog. You've given me several ideas on places to visit and things to see.

Thanks

Steve

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:59 AM

I have enjoyed your journey from the start. Congrats on a job well done.

Superdave1120
Sayre, PA
1980 650 Yamaha First Ride
1989 GL1500 First Wing
2006 750 Shadow Wifes Ride
2012 GL1800 New Wing (Red)
IBA #63784
Darksider #1664
Michelin Alpine P3 195/55/R16
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Garage
Glad to hear your successful completion. That is indeed an adventure of epic proportions.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Excellent ride and report. I also enjoyed riding along with you. But I hope the adventure never ends, it just changes as we go along.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:20 PM

As an afterthought, when you summarize your trip could you add any lessons learned or things you would do differently in either the planning or actual trip. For example, did you camp as much as you thought? I was thinking on a long trip like this I might be better planning for hotels most of the time to stay "fresh and rested".

Thanks again.

Steve
NREMTP likes this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Thanks for taking us along.

Darksider #1247Michelin AlpinPA3 195/55/R16
AMA 2006 Titanium GL1800 w/ COMF, NAV
August in Pa. Come VISIT
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:14 PM

Congratulations, That was one awesome ride and well documented. I thought my ride through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan was something. It was, but yours is a dream ride.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 09:28 PM

Garage
I just finished your last couple of entries on your blog. WOW, what an adventure you have had. Thanks so much for sharing it with the rest of us.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode