85 Goldwing GL 1200 Limited - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
eacorbett

Question 85 Goldwing GL 1200 Limited

I was riding my bike yesterday when out of no where I lost power. It came back up within a few seconds. I continued to ride. The next 3 times I lost power I had to restart the bike. After the 3rd time it would not restart. I noticed that the fuel pump was not on. I spent 4 plus hours this morning diagnosing the fuel pump. I have all 3 factory repair manuals and was using them to try to diagnose the problem. I did not have any luck. I know all of the fuses and relays in the fuse/relay box are good. If I remember correctly there are supposed to be others located else where on the bike but I cannot recall where I read that or where they are located on the bike. I did bypass the factory wiring to the fuel pump and it does make a sound as if it is working and does pump some fuel but not sure as to whether or not it is at the required pressure as I do not have a fuel pressure tester. After running the pump several times for short bursts (approx. 20 sec. each time) and the bike not starting I pulled the plugs to blow the fuel out of the cylinders and the plugs and cylinders were bone dry. I dissconnected the fuel out line from pump and I know it is pumping fuel, again not sure as to what the pressure was. I checked for spark while I had the plugs and and it appeared to have an irregular spark. At this point I just got to frustrated with everything and had to walk away. If there is anyone out there that has had a similar problem and found out what it was or think they might be able to help I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!!!!!
eacorbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
budoka
Administrator

Hopefully our resident spark technologist will have an answer for you, I'm electrically challenged. Calling trike lady!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
trike lady
Super Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I'm going to dig out a service manual and check the schematic.
I'm going to suggest checking connections at the ECM, it could be a loose connection or bad ground.

IDMHT#1
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certification
trike lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
trike lady
Super Moderator

I checked the service manual schematic.
You may want to check the following: The Crankshaft Angle Sensor and the two Camshaft Angle Sensors. One of them may have gone bad. Make sure the connections are clean and tight. The ecm controls the fuel pump.
Were their any lights lit on the ecm with a code?

IDMHT#1

Last edited by trike lady; 01-22-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
eacorbett

This is in response to Trike Lady. No lights! The "W" would try to light sometimes, sometimes it would come on, and sometimes nothing at all. Spoke to neoracer in Maryland and he had me check the connections at C 80 and C30. Both appear to check ok. Does the travel computer have to be plugged in for any of the lights on the ECU to light or to have power to anything else but the travel computer itself? Just out of curiousity where is Ormond Beach? I live about an hour east of Pensacola, Fl. on I 10. Am really trying to find someone who knows these bikes that can come by and help me diagnose this thing. The more I get into it, the more overwhelmed I get. Spent over 4 hours trying to run down the problem yesterday and over 8 hours today and I am no closer than I was when it quit running. As a matter fact I feel like it is getting worse as now the radio won't even work. It powers on and shows the radio station but nothing comes out of the speakers. Ugh!!!!!!! I sold my only means of transportation to buy this bike and I really cannot afford for it be down for to long. Why would I sell my only means of transportation you ask? I had been wanting another bike for many years and this was the only way I was going to get one. Why this bike? I wanted a cruiser/touring type of bike. I am too old for those back killing crotch rockets. Would have been nice in my younger days when I was drag racing but not now. And it was my dads' dream to own this particular bike. Unfortunately he was too short to be able to touch the ground and to hold one up and he passed away in 2007 the day before my birthday. I wanted this particular bike for him. When I ride I can feel him with me. I really need to get this bike going. So if you can help in any way I would tremendously appreciate it!!!! Thank you so very much for replying so quickly!

Last edited by eacorbett; 01-22-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: forgot some words
Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Eric

I am not in the the same room as Trike Lady when it come to electrical but one of the first problem I had with my 1200 was the fuse next to the battery. The wiring there was all a mess. I cleaned it up and put a car 30 amp fuse in. Eric
Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
eacorbett

I checked the two "dog bone" style fuses. They were both intact until I started to mess with them. The one for the starter is still intact and I broke the other, but can temp. bypass with a jumper wire that has aligator clips on each end. I will have to replace it with the "ATO" style fuse and holder at a later time as money is a very large issue at the moment. Thank you for your reply!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
trike lady
Super Moderator

The dog bone shaped fuse you should be able to find at NAPA.
Now this question may sound pointless but there's a reason for it. Did you purchase the bike from someone who lives closer to the coast or inland? Here's why, I lived originally in Pasco County Florida away from salt water, I moved to Ormond Beach above Daytona Beach and now my trike is faced with rust and corrosion on electrical connectors and ground points. Connections and grounds check and clean them, make sure they're tight, protect them with dielectric grease. Complete the path with the travel computer to the ecm.

IDMHT#1
Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
eacorbett

The owner I got the bike from did live very close to the coast. However, having gone through almost every connector on the top side of this bike most everything looks like it is in very good condition! I personally think the previous owner did not own it very long. And the owner before that, not sure where he lives, kept the bike in a garage and it sat up for 7 years without even being started!! I know!!!!!!!!!! Having been a car mechanic on and off for over 12 years I know what happens to vehicles that sit for any length of time and none of it is good. Probably why I am having issues now. I am trying to finish the "getting it back in shape" process from it sitting for such a long time. Something I have for got to mention. On the first day of diagnosing, with test light as I was trying to see if I had power, not checking voltage, so I was using just a 12 volt test light. I connected the the one end of the test light to the ground of the battery. The other end I touched to the negative side of the fuel pump. You guessed it, the test light lit up, as it should have. Then I touched it to the positive side of the fuel pump and the light lit up again. This is indicating that I have a short to ground on the power wire to the fuel pump. Started back tracing the power lead to the fuel pump and checking every connector that I could visually see that it connected to. That wasn't far! Then it disappeared into the wire loom. Lost track from there. What does that circuit go to and where? Not sure that this is my only problem or if it would effect my l.e.d.s from running a diagnosis on the bike and as to why they will not light at all. Sorry about all of this but my memory does not serve me well and alzheimers runs in the family so I kind of get these "flash backs" here and there. This is part of the reason I wish I had someone here. They might actually remember what we have checked and done and what we still need to do. I wasn't able to work on it today as my brother and I had to help a friend out all day. And yes it was in the rain. We were all completely soaked from head to toe and didn't get back home until almost 7 pm this evening. We left about 8am this morning, and we still have to go back to try to finish up. Our friend bought a new mobile home and he is responsible for the electric being hooked up ( the power pole had to pulled out of the ground and moved to the other side of the home and a new hole dug to put it in) the sewer pipes installed under the home and connected to the septic tank, and the water line being hooked up from the water meter to the home. Had a lot of digging to do today. We got most of it done today, but the darkness fell and rain got to heavy. Finished some of the inside work up in the house with a small flash light! That was fun! Was still able to find a leak on the hot water tank though. Darn I'm good! LOL! I had better go for now. Messed up left wrist while digging. In a brace and is really hurting now. If you think that any of the information I gave earlier rings a bell about something let me know and when I get the oppertunityI will get back on working on it! Thanks so much for all of the help! Take care and stay safe!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #10

hi ea, its been a little while but i do remember the power for the fuel pump comes through the travel computor. not sure of wire color but green/white tracer might be it. if not ohm the wire from fuel pump to travel comp. connectors an find the dead one. we had to replace travel comps. in the old days now we jump the wire around the dead circuit. good luck.
2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement