Heated Grips plug in question - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 11-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
yellovette

Default Heated Grips plug in question

I'm thinking of ordering Show Chrome heated grips kit for my 08' without OEM heated grips. Does anyone know if there would be a plug for the OEM heated grips on models w/o the comfort package?

Thanks
YV
yellovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

That's a good question. Let's investigate. I posed the question to some gurus. We wait for a response.

Last edited by Chopin; 11-18-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Chopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
detdrbuzzard
Super Moderator

i thought about heated grips for the 1500 wing but got electric gloves insted cause i can use the gloves on almost any bike
'84 gl1200 aspencade
'93gl1500se,
'85 cb450sc
'05 sunL 70

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
iba 58509
hat
detdrbuzzard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
yellovette

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin114 View Post
That's a good question. Let's investigate.
I read in a product review that someone posted, that after 06' Honda stopped putting in the plug if you didn't have the heat option.
yellovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellovette View Post
I read in a product review that someone posted, that after 06' Honda stopped putting in the plug if you didn't have the heat option.
I'll wait for confirmation on that.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

First response so far : " Nope, the only plug you have is under the left fairing pocket. Only the 01-05 bikes have the power plug on the right side. I believe EC has a pigtail harness that you can plug into the left side and bring the power to the right side where the kit will want it to be ".
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/R16 car tire.
Chopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Second response, same rider :" If you don't have a CB, you could do a little modifying and use it's power plug, it's just laying around with power on it from the same accessory relay. "
Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
joe in calif

The wire harness is different on the comfort package than the base model. But putting heated grips on is no big deal, Just wire them to a relay then power the relay by the accessory terminal on the fuse box. The ones for the Gold Wing with the comfort package will not work on the base model.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Wing Down Under

I have a 2009 model fully optioned because we only have 2 options in OZ, Basic or Fully optioned . I had to take my bike back after 3 months because one of the hand grips weren't working. It took the dealer 2 days to replace and when i saw what was involved I cringed. vertually all the front and dash was removed because one side of the plug was situated in the middle of the bike. Haven said that if your 2008 model is not equipped with heated handles then what Joe in Calif said is good to go and much easier to do.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #10
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Andy posts this :" I powered my aftermarket heated grip through a relay that was fused and got its power straight from the battery and the switching current to the relay I got from the Aux post on the oem fuse block in order that the heated grip would never be ON unless the ignition was turned on. All of my many aftermarket farkles are fused and relayed in this manner, only exception being the GPS, which I have to remember to turn off, but since its right in front of my line of sight, I have never fogotten it.
ORileys has the most convenient to use relay I have found so far. mine is an Optronics 40 amp four conductor relay, although the last one I bought from Orileys was not an Optronics brand, but functioned in the exact same manner ".
Andy
Advertisement