Extra fuel tank - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
bikrbob

Default Extra fuel tank

Next summer I plan on a another ride to Colorado, last time I did it on my VT1100C with a 6.5 custom tank. Even thought the wing has a 6.6 gallon tank I was thinking of having some extra.
I was looking at these tanks http://www.tourtank.com/TourTanks.html
Any one ever use on of these? They are about $200-$250.
There is another company that makes a specific wing tank that fits in the back seat but it is about $1200.
bikrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Steve F

Check your insurance policy....no lie. My insurance policy specifically says that the addition of an extra fuel tank will cancel your policy. Also, participating in those Iron Butt rides is also an issue. Just saying.
Steve F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
EFINREF

A guy I know...put a 2 gallon, homemade tank in his right saddle bag. He loves it, but don't try this at home. He is a certified Idiot!!!
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500
Darkside #1292 (Yeah, I'm keeping the #)

"It eases my mind to know, that in times like these, there have always been times like these."
Paul Harvey
EFINREF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
LarryinSeattle
Banned

I rode from Seattle to Phoenix and back two up and pulled a trailer. For a little bit of gas insurance, I put a quart fuel container in my trailer. I never had to use it. After a 100 miles, I am always looking for a reason to get off of the bike for a short break. We averaged 500 miles a day and had time to enjoy the ride and didn't feel beat up at the end of the day.

Last year, I put the same quart bottle in my saddlebag on a solo 1300 mile weekend ride through Washington, Oregon and Idaho. I didn't use it then either.

I felt a quart of gas would get me 10 to 12 miles.

I won't discourage such use of these extra tanks, but in all of the forums that I have belonged to, many of the riders who setup for this end up removing the extra tank after their enthusiasm wains for putting so many miles between fill ups.

Plumbing it in so that it could be quickly removed so that it wasn't on the bike full time should be a MAJOR consideration.
LarryinSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
fossil92
Super Moderator

bikrbob

My wife & I did a 9K trip across the country & back last year. We rode in some really remote areas of New Mexico, AZ, Mt & Wy never having any issue finding fuel. One thing I would do in those areas was when I found a station even if I was only 75-125 miles into a tank run I would still fuel up just in case the next station was 150 miles away. I personally wouldn't use one but it does look like a quality piece of equipment not a jug strapped on at least.

Good Luck. Ride Safe.

Friends don't let friends apex early.

/ 2012/2014 East Coast Sponsor
fossil92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Hmmmm. Mounting it on the truck rack is not an option, as a gallon of liquid weighs about 8 lbs. sans the container holding it. I don't know, Bob. Besides fossil, my local riding bud did the Four Corner Tour last June and never mentioned gas as an issue, except in price.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Two Wheel Wing
Super Moderator

I agree with the other posters. Unless your off the beaten path gas stations are plentyful around the country. Don't like the idea of a tank of gas being exposed to heat and possible rupture. JMHO..
IDMWT #1
2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
Two Wheel Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
bikrbob

I like Larry's idea, I know I can carry a 1 gallon plastic gas can in the saddle bag.
I will have to check my insurance.
I was going to mount it using the passenger grab handles, going solo of course. I don't think she would make a long haul. Just have to fly her out there.
Thanks for the input.
bikrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
crownfire

Here is something that might interest you.
http://www.firecache.com/prodinfo.asp?number=75.8310
It is what wildland firefighters carry chainsaw fuel in. They are small, relatively safe, and you can stash them somewhere. I've never carried one on the bike but thought about it before.
crownfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
LarryinSeattle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownfire View Post
Here is something that might interest you.
http://www.firecache.com/prodinfo.asp?number=75.8310
It is what wildland firefighters carry chainsaw fuel in. They are small, relatively safe, and you can stash them somewhere. I've never carried one on the bike but thought about it before.
That is the exact bottle I use when traveling. It hardly takes up any space but does give me the peace of mind about the extra 10 miles it would give me to get someplace where it is safer than along side the road.

I also have been ready to offer it to any stranded motorcyclist along the way that had the misfortune of running out of fuel. I have yet to find one. I have read stories of people stuck along side the road, but I have never come across one.

If I was traveling to Alaska, I would consider two or three of these containers........
LarryinSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement