what weight oil? - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
joecool

Default what weight oil?

Hey friends,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions and help in days past while I was working through bike problems.
I'd like some suggestions here on what weight oil to run for my August trip from Arizona to NY and back a month later. I currently use Mobil1 15W-40 with a quart of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer and I think it's great so far. But I did notice that Amsoil makes a straight 60 oil for bikes and was wondering if that would be too thick? Remember I'll be chugging down the interstates at whatever the speed limits are so it'll be all highway most of the trip and it'll be hot weather.
What's your advise ???? Thanks in advance. Joe
joecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
budoka
Administrator

If it's an 1800 10w30. I can't remember but I think I ran 10w40 in my 1200 and 1500. I'd suggest sticking with the recommended viscosity in the manual whatever you ride. As long as it's a JASO MA formula you'll be fine.
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
joecool

Default it's a 1100 1983

ya, that's what most people are saying. Probably have to go with 10W-40 , I've heard Amsoil is pretty good but is it really that much better than Mobil1 ?
joecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Amsoil Dealer Group
Site Sponsor

AMSOIL MCF 10W-40. Use of a higher viscosity than necessary causes excessive wear, los of HP and fuel mileage.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T is an excellent oil but not capable of extended drains. AMSOIL is good for up to 2x the OEM interval. On the 1100, it has a cartridge filter which would need to be changed at the OEM interval as AMSOIL does not have a filter for it.

M1 and AMSOIL are about the same cost but, the extended drain capability of AMSOIL actually drops the cost by 50% per mile.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com. or call Toll Free 1-877-356-6099

Email: AMSOIL@bestoil4you.com
Amsoil Dealer Group is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Two Wheel Wing
Super Moderator

I would not run straight 60 weight oil in a Wing. Multi grades work best..
IDMWT #1
2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
Two Wheel Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
tfdeputydawg

If you still have a owners manual, if you're talking about your 83, what does it tell you to use?
60W is nothing I would ever use, IMHO.
tfdeputydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Amsoil Dealer Group
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheel Wing View Post
I would not run straight 60 weight oil in a Wing. Multi grades work best..
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
60W is nothing I would ever use, IMHO.
I agree.

These aren't old 'Shovelheads'... 10W-40 Motorcycle Specific oil is the proper viscosity.

A higher viscosity than necessary will have its own set of problems, Especially a Straight 60. Excessive wear due to oil starvation, Higher oil temps, less HP and reduced fuel mileage.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com. or call Toll Free 1-877-356-6099

Email: AMSOIL@bestoil4you.com
Amsoil Dealer Group is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement