Navigation Upgrade? - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
ScubaGuy

Default Navigation Upgrade?

Looking through the information on the 2012 GW I see that Honda seems to have made some improvements on the on board navigation system/software, including "Trip Planner". Does anybody know whether this is going to be available as an upgrade for the 2009/2010 models?

Thanks!
ScubaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
joe in calif

I think it's a new system, The 2012 takes a SD card, I don't think the earlier Navi systems have an SD card, but I could be wrong because I don't have a Navi system.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
joe in calif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
DreamWeaver

Location: Ranch outside Bertram, TX about 80 miles north of Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I think it's a new system, The 2012 takes a SD card, I don't think the earlier Navi systems have an SD card, but I could be wrong because I don't have a Navi system.
My 07 has a CF card. Besides its not the card, but the information on the card that is important. I doubt very seriously that Garmin will make them "backward" compatible. It would be a firmware change but who knows. I know they don't make their other GPS's backward compatible. Would be nice though..
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
ScubaGuy

Emailed the Swiss Honda importer and got a reply that they don't yet have any information on the 2012 model, yet ... figures! Somehow I don't think they'll offer an upgrade as the Trip Planner supposedly stores its planning data on the SD card for transfer to the navigation system ... and that card is, as DreamWeaver confirms, for the map data ...

Ah well, just thought I'd ask if anybody has any different information. Thanks.
ScubaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Two Wheel Wing
Super Moderator

If I know Mother Honda and Garmin, based on previous examples, the upgrade will not be backward compatible. It's something new that's intended to make you want a new Wing. If you could get the same thing on an older model, why would you upgrade. Part of the marketing strategy.. BUT, they may prove me wrong, which won't be the first time....
IDMWT #1
2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
Two Wheel Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
manxmann

There is an upgrade for the 09/10 models due out this month so I am told by the Dealers.
It will be interesting to see how much is upgraded/updated. Quite frankly, it wouldn't be hard to improve on current ...... it's archaic ! Most dissappointing.
manxmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

My '08 Navi shows at best those roads finished before '06. I don't use to tell me where I'm going, but to tell me where I am ( or somewhere near where I am or think I am or wish I were or close enough to somewhere that I could stop and ask for directions to find out where I am going....... ).
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
manxmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin114 View Post
My '08 Navi shows at best those roads finished before '06. I don't use to tell me where I'm going, but to tell me where I am ( or somewhere near where I am or think I am or wish I were or close enough to somewhere that I could stop and ask for directions to find out where I am going....... ).
Not good for "The Flagship" of the touring world is it ? Embarrasing at times ... better off with a $99 Tom Tom actually.

I find the whole thing frustrating. It's not as if Garmin does't have the information because they provide it on other systems.

But let's hope that the upgrade will be a good one.
manxmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
DreamWeaver

Location: Ranch outside Bertram, TX about 80 miles north of Austin.

Any "upgrade" that Garmin offers will most likely just be to a newer version of Maps. I just keep in mind that a GPS is really just for telling you where you are lost at. And yes, its a shame that the Nav system on the wing is so limited. But...at least its purdy at night...
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Matt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin114 View Post
I was going to tell you where to go, but my sense of fair play got the better of me.
Advertisement