Cold weather riding - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 10-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
tthexic1969

Default Cold weather riding

what are some tips for riding in the cold weather that has set in on us
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
oldtimer

Not too much to say except dress warm and enjoy it.....I rode yesterday at 31 degrees with no problems, but I do have heated grips and seat which helps some.
GWRRA Member
NRA Member
N1ATF
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Stratman

Budoka's from Alberta. I think he runs snow tires and puts a plow on the front of his Wing
Ride safe,
Strat
Stratman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
bearandladybear

Default cold weather riding

Actually in Alberta we ride cold weather all year round!!!
When it gets really cold we put ski out riggers on and use huskies to pull the bikes.
All joking aside..... I ride until not safe to do so, meaning that when the roads are to the point that water will freeze on them in the shade.
First thing in the morning is for me the most dangerous time, roads are really slick. I look out of the window and check current road conditions also checking the weather network and local tv channels, but i find that listening to the radio reports for traffic conditions is a good bet.
As to clothing LAYERS LAYERS LAYERS, its easy to take off if your hot.
Heated seats are great for keeping your core warm but I find that the heated grips only keep the inside of my hand warm, the outside still gets cold so a very good set of cold weather gloves is a must. I also wear a full face hood under my helmet only problem is fogging of glasses.
That's my 2 cents worth. There will be others, hopefully that will chime in.
Oh yes also take it easy first thing in the morning, your tires are very cold so warm them up for a longer time before leaning into those corners too much
Old 10-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
Two Wheel Wing
Super Moderator

I usually ride until it gets to be to punishing to enjoy or weather conditions warrant putting the Wing to bed for the winter. Dress in layers, heavy socks, boots and gloves. I also have the heated grips and seat which helps. If weather permits I can ride into mid-December. After that, all bets are off.

Whenever and wherever you ride, ride safe.
IDMWT #1
2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
Two Wheel Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
joe in calif

If you are going to ride in cold weather, get some good chaps, not the leather ones, leather gets cold, get nylon with quilted lining. Also a heated vest works great, and good gloves, heavy sox and good gore- tex boots. A full face helmet is a must in cold weather.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
fossil92
Super Moderator

My Idea of Cold weather riding consists of a couple words.

Gerbing & Firstgear.

Friends don't let friends apex early.

/ 2012/2014 East Coast Sponsor
fossil92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
AllanG

I look at the temp, 40+ it's good to go... Went for a ride today got to 55 in CT and it was nice, had to put the liner in the jacket.. My other solution is move to Florida for 6 months...
Stay safe..
AllanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
horgie

I normally ride down to about 3 or 4 degrees C. ( 37 to 40 F.) A side from a good suit, layers, and use a long sleeve thermal liner, I wear a belaclava under my helmet. I have heated seat and grips, and find that the Baker Air Wings, on the mirrors, upper and lowers really make a difference, especially on the hands. I never get cold hands. Feet sometimes get cold after a while, but if I get real uncomfortable, I'll put on my rain boots over my regular boots.

If it gets much colder, I get out the snowmobile.
horgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
budoka
Administrator

For seious cold weather riding, Joe"s right about heated gear especially the vest to keep your core warm. Full riding pants (insulated) are a must as well as good gloves with thinsulate liners. a good neck protector is also very valuable. Strat is only kidding about the snowplow btw (at least I hope so lol). Even if there is no threat of ice on the roads, m/c tyres don't like cold (near, at or below freezing) pavement. Once there is any accumulation of white stuffand the tempersture refuses to break the frost mark the scoot goes into her lair and my snowmobile takes over.
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement