performance mods for 1800 - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Engine Work

Old 09-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
merlain7

Default performance mods for 1800

am interested in making performance mods to a 2009 1800 engine. want to get at least 150hp, 200hp would be even better, along with similar increases in torque.

have g**gled for performance mods but have not found any. dont want to turn it into a 10,000rpm screamer. would like to keep relatively same power curve. Idea is to replace a lycoming o-290g on an experimental airplane.

does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find info/parts for these kinds of mods?

thank you for your help

Last edited by merlain7; 09-17-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: additional info
merlain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
CDNRIDER

This seems like a bizarre idea to me. One the engine is not certified for aircraft. Two you are changing an air cooled engine for a water cooled one and the extra weight could up set your CG. What are you going to do about the trans? Now it you are really set on this course I'd start looking for a set of Valkire heads cams and intakes as they do produce more output than a regular goldwing engine. That being said I don't know it they will fit a 1800. Did Honda make a Valkire in a 1800??
CDNRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
trike lady
Super Moderator

CDNRIDER
Yes, Honda did make the Valkyrie Rune 1800, but the engine is identical to the GL-1800.
The GL-1500 Wing and 1500 Valkyrie engines were different.
I'd not like to be the one to explain this to the FAA. Almost every year in Florida at the Sun and Fun Fly In, there's at least one crash with experimental aircraft. You'd actually do better with a V-twin engine, as you could use the output shaft for the prop, no need to worry about a trans and it's air cooled and you can get some very big motors.

IDMHT#1
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certification
trike lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
joe in calif

Like the old joke goes, If Harley and Honda made airplanes, which one would you fly in??
Here is a link to Honda aircraft
http://world.honda.com/group/HondaAircraftCompany/

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
trike lady
Super Moderator

Joe,
Well now I know why there are no new Goldwings for 2011, Honda is concentrating on something with Wings. I believe I'd rather take a smaller lighter engine up instead of a heavy Wing engine, but then that's just me.

IDMHT#1
Old 09-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Put a Honda Goldwing Logo on this bike and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
budoka
Administrator

Now that is off the hook, Lord 'tunderin' dat's mean!
Now back to the O/P with the egine idea. I also thing the GL engine is too heavybut then it depends on the airframe that it's going into. Lift and drag co-efficients and wing loading and lots of other factors to deal with (are you an aeronautical engineer by chance?). Any engine can be made to work in an aircraft and thats what EAC category is all about really. What you have to weigh is the risk vs success ratio; but I'll stick with my certified airplane thanks.
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
trike lady
Super Moderator

If its FAA approved or the Canadian equivalent, I'll fly in it.
Not too big on 'Homemade', too many crash at the Sun and Fun Fly In every year.

IDMHT#1
Old 09-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
merlain7

Wow! All this chatter & only one response that even attempts to provide useful info. (Thank you by the way.)

Actually, the engine it would be replacing is a Lycoming O-290G, which is a ground power unit engine converted for aircraft use. So, it wouldn't be replacing a true aircraft engine with a motorcycle engine. The dry weight of that engine is 264lbs, with fluids it is going to weigh in around 270+lbs. Concerns over CG issues have already been considered.

Concerns over watercooling are also misplaced. Watercooled aircraft engines have been used very successfully for longer than most of you have probably been alive. (See P-38 Lightning & P-51 Mustang for 2 examples.) The watercooled engines offer many advantages over aircooled aircraft engines. They are more efficient because they don't use fuel for engine cooling as aircooled engines do. They don't have problems with shock cooling as aircooled engines do. Multi-coil ignitions eliminate the need for dual magnetos. Also, bear in mind that the general aviation aircooled Lycoming & Continental engines are based on 40 - 60 year old technology. Still these engines will cost you around $26,000 for a 200 cubic inch, 100hp product, a 560 cubic inch, 300hp product will cost over $50,000. Whereas newer auto & motorcycle engines are based on state-of-the art technology which is generally more powerful & efficient, are just as reliable, if not more so, have greater parts availability, & are MUCH cheaper.

As for "homemade" aircraft crashes, the primary concern after the event is WHY the crash occurred so that similar occurances can be avoided in the future. Generic comments on aircraft accidents involving "homemade" or experimental aircraft without an examination of WHY the accident occurred are meaningless.

For anyone with a SERIOUS interest in this subject who is looking for similar info later on, additional research has shown that a better option appears to be the Suburu flat-4 or flat-6. the flat-4 comes in 3 variations: 170hp naturally aspirated; 225hp turbo (Forester model); & 305hp turbo (Impreza WRX STI model), all cost less than $3,000 for a used engine. With only moderate tweaking it will produce in the neighborhood of 460hp. All of this at a weight of only 260lbs including radiator & intercooler when stripped of non-essential items. Also, small bock Chevy engines are being used with great results in larger aircraft.

Last edited by merlain7; 09-19-2010 at 06:35 PM.
merlain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
trike lady
Super Moderator

Merlain7,
You did throw us all an interesting post and one that was certainly different. I have seen a V-twin engine used on an experimental aircraft and it did fly. The news never reports WHY, when a crash happens at the Sun & Fun Fly In, they just report to the viewers that it happened and that the FAA will investigate.

IDMHT#1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement