What helmet and radio to get - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 09-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
shuter

Default Does anyone have a quiet helmet they can recommend?

Giving up on blue tooth and head sets for now. Starting with post 8 I am just looking for a quiet helmet.

Just bought a 1994 Goldwing 1500se and am wondering about what helmet/radio comunications combination to get.

I live in North Dakota and we can ride without a helmet, which I like to do sometimes. Other times I will want to wear a helmet. I find listening to the radio over the loudspeakers unsatisfactory due to the wind noise at highway speeds.

I'm willing to buy a new helmet and speaker/microphone set and am dazzled by all the choices. What helmets provide the most quiet enviroment for listening to the radio and communicating?

I have factory installed plugins for front and rear radio communications that I assume include FM radio, CB, and person to person communications. Is that correct?

How about blue tooth? Can I go wireless and have all the same functions?

I expect to listen to the FM radio more than use the communications but would like to have the capability to do it all.

Some of you, especially those that have been group riding for a while must know exactly what to use and I'm hoping you will share your years of experience so I can make the best choices the first time.

Last edited by shuter; 09-18-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Changing direction of thread
shuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Two Wheel Wing
Super Moderator

I have had Shoei and Arai 3/4 helmets and have liked them both. Some guys are now using Nolan and HJC flipup helmets which provide both full and 3/4 coverage. Find one that fits well. I used a J&M headset with both helmets and it worked fine. I don't know if you can adapt bluetooth to a 1500 audio system. Even so, it will be expensive.

Remember, a cheap lid does your head no good in an accident. Ride safe..
IDMWT #1
2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
Two Wheel Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
joe in calif

If you want the most quiet, you will need to get a full face helmet, I have 3 helmets, Arai 3/4 HJC full face and Nolan 102 N-COM flip face. All have J&M headset and do the job. I wear the 3/4 most of the time. Also if you use ear plugs you will be surprised how much road and wind noise they filter out but you can still hear the music and intercom.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
joe in calif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
shuter

I've decided not to persue the blue tooth option and I have decided on an open face helmet.

I am interested in a less than full face shield that is shaped a little like coggles. Do those face shields fit all open face helmets?

Which open face helmets are best suited for speakers and Mic?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Promethius

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
If you want the most quiet, you will need to get a full face helmet, I have 3 helmets, Arai 3/4 HJC full face and Nolan 102 N-COM flip face. All have J&M headset and do the job. I wear the 3/4 most of the time. Also if you use ear plugs you will be surprised how much road and wind noise they filter out but you can still hear the music and intercom.

Just to follow up a bit... If you don't wear a helmet, wear ear plugs! Even with some helmets, you may need to wear them. I just got the bill on my new hearing aids at $2800 + our lovely state's 6.9% sales tax, and my hearing loss is attributed to a lot of ridng w/o hearing protection. I'm not exposed to loud noises and that is why the wind got the nod as the most likely cause.
Promethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
billcarr_

Hi Pro,

None of that works for me. I have a full shoei helmet with J and M earphones built in. At 75mph the only way I can hear the music is to turn the volume up 16 - 17 plus and get a headache from the noise. I quit using it.

Previous rides: 55 Cushman Highlander, 58 Allstate Puch (junk), 59 Sportster, 65 Velocette MSS, 73 Honda 750 k4, 77 Honda 750 f4, 82 550 Suzuki, 83 850G Suzuki, 2001 Honda ST1100, 2003 Honda ST1300, 2004 Goldwing, 07/18R VTX.

Current rides:
04 Gold Wing
07 VTX 1800R
billcarr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
budoka
Administrator

More worms in the can. I have 3 helmets also, an Arai Vector ff with the Hondaline/J&M headset, an HJC IS-33 3/4 with std J&M headset, and an HJC cruiser style half lid with removeable ear/lower section with no sound equipment. The half lid is best for hearing the tunes with or without the earflaps on. The Arai is incredibly noisy...lots of wind noise and the mic is constantly picking up interference from passing vehicles no matter how I adjust the volumes. Th IS-33 is in the middle, but is quietest with the visor up (lot of good that is for eye protection) and it doesn't suffer from road noise/interference except in the worse possible crosswind gusts being picked up by the mic. My wife has the IS-33 and can barely hear the stereo with just the helmet on unless I turn the volume waaaay up (then she says it's too loud...ah, women) but it is fine with the headset. I like the coverage of the Arai, but it's noisy and fogs real easy on cool mornings (terrible on cold days). The IS-33 is the best of both worlds, but does block the stereo without the headset on. The half lid is old enough that I really shoudn't wear it anymore, but it's the most comfortable and I can hear the tunes perfect, but there's no headset or two way comm for us (she has a half-lid too). I've never tried a modular (flip-up) helmet on a bike, but I don't care for them on snowmobiles. We had matching Hondaline helmets w/headsets on the 1500 and I don't recall having any sound issues with them, but time has a way of burying the poorer quality memories.
So all I've done is probably made things more difficult for you, but that's my bit of info.
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
shuter

Well..... I expected this to be an easy one for all the experienced Wing riders out there. Seems that it is not.

Lets try just looking for a quiet helmet. I'll edit the thread title to reflect that.

I have an older Shoei full coverage that I need to replace due to it's age. The wind noise is horrible. It's so loud that I hate wearing it.

Does anyone have a helmet that is comfortable and Quiet?

I see there are a number of helmets now that have built in ventilation vents on top of the helmet. Sounds like a great idea in hot weather but can they be closed in cold weather?
Old 09-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
shuter

Anybody using this Nolan helmet? How quiet is it? If you have the intercom system installed, how does it work for you?

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/7...lmets%2Fmfg%2F

Last edited by shuter; 09-19-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: removed question
Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
Slayer

Well, this all worries me quite a lot. I've just made a deal on an 05 Wing and was looking on here for suggestions as to what intercom to use. I wear an HJC CL-15 in XXXL. Yeah, I've got a BIG head. It's a full-face helmet. It is kind of noisy but I typically wear earplugs. I wondered if it would be too noisy for a microphone and a speaker. Then I remembered that a lot of Wing riders that I see wear open faced helmets. If you can hear/speak with one of them, I should be great with a full face. After reading all this, I'm worried.

Isaiah 53:5 <><
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement