Coolant leak - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
andy1833

Default Coolant leak

I recently started my 01' GL1800 (about 85,000 miles) and after letting it run to warm up a little, noticed a few drops of coolant had leaked out on the left side and pooled a little on the floor. After a little investigation, it seemed to be coming out somewhere around the left radiator. It leaked maybe a teaspoon full and then stopped leaking. I checked the coolant level and it seemed full and I really wanted to ride that day, so I took on off on my 200 mile ride that day. A few days later, I cranked it again and the leak happened again. Not wishing to press my luck, I decided I'd better dig a little deeper into the matter. After reviewing the thick shop type manual that came with it (bought it used about 6 mo. ago), it looks like the entire front faring has to be removed to gain access to the radiator, hoses, etc. Has anyone tackled this before? Any guesses as to what the problem may be; i.e., a hose leak, radiator leak, etc.? Is this something I need to take it to the "shop" to get this looked at?

Thanks,
Andy1833
andy1833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Andy: You got mail.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
rooferx

My 95 will show a lil leak upon a very cold snap,,had a vtx that also did the same, very cold temps cause shrinkage,,tighten hose clamps prolly help.
rooferx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
budoka
Administrator

Not sure what the maestro sent you, but I'm in agreement with a loose fitting/clamp. And yeah, tupperware removal is necessary.
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Not sure what the maestro sent you,...... necessary.
I sent him a link to Wiki Leaks.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Ron Robertson
Lifetime Premium

I tried something this winter and it seems to have help. I put an old service light with a 40 watt bulb under the engine and leave it on. So far no drips this winter.
IDMWT #5
Ron Robertson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
andy1833

Thanks to all who responded. For Ron, the 40W light bulb idea is a great idea for stopping the leak during the cold weather. For Rooferx and Budoka, once the cold weather is over, will the leakage likely cease without having to remove the "tupperware" and tightening the hose clamps etc.? I sure don't want to run the risk of loosing coolant and overheating the engine, but I sure dread removing the tupperware, too.
andy1833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement