Polk MM651 front speaker install - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Buzzy

Default Polk MM651 front speaker install

Ok, I am far enough in it I can start blabbing about it now. Truth is, i am frustrated and I am stopping for the night but I can tell you what I have done so far.

I asked a question on the other forum about schematic for the 06' and up audio systems. I thought there was a crossover somewhere but I was wrong.
Between a helpful gentleman over there and the fact that I went out and tore the whole front end off the bike to chase the wires down. I found that Honda saw to it to give us a component front speaker system but they decided to feed it with the same signal split to both the tweeter and woofer.

This kind of defeats the whole purpose of a component system. Unless like mention by someone else that the speakers them self have the crossovers built in! Ok, that makes sense.

Ok so now I know that the speakers up front have one input that is split and the same signal is ran to both the tweeter and woofer on each side.

I also found that the entire speaker box up front seems to be connected, there is free space connecting the right and left side, they share the same box. this box also appears to be pretty sealed with the exception of the molded holes that the speaker leads run thru, it is about the size of a finger.

I tested the old and new speakers, one new and one stock both connected and hanging loose out of the boxes. The stock speaker seems to be louder that the polk while just hanging there and the polk is much less distorted and clear.
I push them in the speaker holes to test them as if they are sealed and mounted. there is a major difference in clarity between the two. But they are fighting each other because they share the same space. This is all the testing I can do for now till I can get the other side in.

Now for the fun part. What I had to do to get the mm651 to fit. due to the extra depth of these speakers, you will need to use the extra mounting ring that comes with them. You will have to trim all the tabs off the ring and also cut some of the edges to square it up some where it hits the meter panel and the metal braces around it.
The speaker also needs to be "Squared up" to fit. The mm651 has a some kind of brittle composite basket, there is no metal. I used a pair of wire cutters to trim both the ring and speaker it really is not that difficult, just nibble at it and try to fit it till it clears everything.
Once I had it trimmed, i had to drill 4 holes to mount the rind to the metal housing that holds the shelter and all it surrounding parts. Once that is mounted, I fit the speaker in the ring and lined it up, drill 4 more holes to mount the speaker to the ring and that part is done.

Before you mount the speaker though there is the task of finding where to mount the crossovers that come with the mm651. Each speaker comes with a small crossover. Since the 2 speaker leads are actually the same input, cut off the leads that went to the tweeter, tape them up and push them back in the dash. Next, take some string, tie it to the speaker leads that go to the woofer and pull them down thru the hole in the bottom of the speaker box. Use the string and tie it to the 2 new sets of speaker leads that come from the output side of the new crossover. Now gently pull the 2 sets of wires up thru the hole and in to the speaker box with enough slack to connect the speaker before installing it. Where to mount the crossover is up to you. I used velcro and attached it to the top of whatever the hell that thing is under the right side panel. This is the airbag model and it does not have a console on that side. On mine, there is some kind of control module there and just enough room to set the crossover on top of it and get the panel back on.

Now keep in mind I have only got the one side done. And remember I told you I tore apart the front of the bike? Well I am not sure how well you will fit the speakers without doing the same as I am able to lift the dash up a little to get the speaker past the tabs. You may be able to just unbolt some of the front and lift it enough to get it part the tabs.

Right now, i have the front panel, windshield, nose pieces and right front cowl off or hanging off the bike. This was only because I needed to know where the speaker leads went to and if there was a crossover somewhere.
Had I know what I know now about the split speaker leads, I would not have done this and I don't know if I would have needed to lift the dash up to clear the speaker.

I can tell you that you CAN get these speakers to fit but it is a PITA !! I did not have to modify or cut the bike at all to get them in. All the trimming was done to the speakers and if I had to, i could put it all back to stock with no problems.

The speakers are the same size as the stock speakers and fit snugly in the stock holes. And I do mean snug. You pretty much have to line them up straight and push them in, there is no room to wiggle them in at an angle to clear obstacles.

I know I said I would do a write up and this is the best I can do right now. I have a few pictures I'll get up when I have time to get the other side together and I will try to clean this up a little. But for now you can count on some cutting, drilling and prying to get these installed but it is doable!
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Buzzy

Here are a few pictures of the stock and Polk speakers side by side. The Polk looks bigger but they both fit the same 5" cutout. As you can see, the mounting holes line up perfect on both speakers when I put them on top of each other.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Buzzy

Well I got the other side in last night and I have an update.
I am an idiot! I don't know why I didn't do this for the other side but I found a way to mount the speaker without drilling any new holes.

Take the STOCK speaker and line it up with the matching holes on the mounting spacer ring. Screw the ring onto the stock speaker and trace out the pattern of the speaker.
Unbolt it, use a dremmal tool and cut the ring in the squarish shape of the stock speaker and it will mount to the stock screw holes without drilling new ones.

I just started cutting away on the 1st side not thinking about it and wound up mounting the ring with new screw hols then mounting the speaker to the ring.

Pictures tonight!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Buzzy: Is it true then that the stock speaker system is nothing more than a " pseudo- component " system ? Are these the speakers and their final cost :http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/mm/index.php?s=mm651
Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Buzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin114 View Post
Buzzy: Is it true then that the stock speaker system is nothing more than a " pseudo- component " system ? Are these the speakers and their final cost :http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/mm/index.php?s=mm651
Yes those are the speakers. I got mine on amazon.com for $115 shipped.
As far as the stock speakers go? The tweeter has a capacitor or high pass filter integrated directly on the speaker assembly. The main woofer has nothing so it is getting the "full range' audio signal coming from the amp.
This is why the audio quality is a little on the poor side, woofers are not designed to play highs and sound good doing it. It is also the reason that the polk speakers are not as loud as the stock speakers. If I were to bypass the crossover and connect the polk directly to the amp giving it full range to the woofer, it would be extremely loud but sound like crap.
Now when I say the Polk's are not as loud, I mean just that but they are not off by much. They are almost as loud as the stock speakers were but the big difference is the sound quality.
Everything sounds crystal clear cranked all the way up to 30 on the volume. There are songs that I could not play before because they distorted the speakers and sounded like the speakers were blown. This is not the case any more!
Also keep in mind that all speakers take a little "breaking in" before they reach their full potential. These polks will just get better with time.

All this being said, if you are really considering doing this. Keep in mind that the install is kind of a PITA. I did figure out that I could mount them without drilling any new holes and without modifying the holes. But I did have to trim off one of the tabs on the dash piece. It will not fit with the polks in there because the ring that you must use to to keep it from hitting in the back makes the polk extend out from the speaker location about 3/8" further than stock and the dash will hit the speaker.
I busted the dremmal tool back out and trimmed more off the speakers and ground that tab off the dash. It now fits but is touching the frame of the speakers. Not a problem and does not affect the speakers at all.
You also need to be comfortable cutting the crap out of your new $120 speakers!

All you have to do is lay the stock speaker on top of the polk and line the screw holes up them bolt the speakers together and trace out the squarish shap of the stock speaker onto the polk. Do the same with the mounting ring then use a dremmel tool and trim them. They will fit right in and bolt up to the dash with the stock screw holes. You will need to buy some longer 10-32 screws though, the stock one are not long enough.

I also took one of the rear speaker pods off yesterday to see if the larger front speakers would fit. Hell no! You would have to build a custom speaker pod to fit anything other than the 4" speaker that is there now. Might be able to modify it to fit a 5" but no way is a 6.5" gonna fit!

The rain finally let up and I went for a ride last night. I am happy with these Polk's. They sound great and distortion free with the volume all the way up. I did shift the balance to the front speakers by one notch because I can now hear the rear speakers. That would be a good thing but what I hear is a lot of noise drowning out the sound from the polks. I will be looking into a set of polks for the rear next.

All in all the system sounds much better now and will sound even better once I replace the rear speakers and the polks get broke in a little.

Here is a picture of the stock front speaker system.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
ctraubert

What year is your Wing? You refer to the tweeter so I assume it is close to a 2010 like mine. Do you have a picture of the trimmed Polk installed? Did you add an amp or use the stock amp? Have you added a sub woofer?
ctraubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
fossil92
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctraubert View Post
What year is your Wing? You refer to the tweeter so I assume it is close to a 2010 like mine. Do you have a picture of the trimmed Polk installed? Did you add an amp or use the stock amp? Have you added a sub woofer?
Buzzy is an HD guy now but he still is loved around here & checks in occasionally. Not sure if ever posted a finish photo.

Friends don't let friends apex early.

/ 2012/2014 East Coast Sponsor
fossil92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
Buzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Buzzy is an HD guy now but he still is loved around here & checks in occasionally. Not sure if ever posted a finish photo.
I just went thru my old pictures and I can't find one of the final install, sorry.
And yes, I pop in from time to time, hello peeps..........lol
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
budoka
Administrator

Did you ever change out the rear speakers? Also wondering if you put th etweeters back in, did I miss something there?
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
Buzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Did you ever change out the rear speakers? Also wondering if you put th etweeters back in, did I miss something there?
Man that was like 2 years ago or more. No I never got around to doing the rear speakers. And no on the tweeters. The polks had tweeters biult-in so that was not an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement