Heated seats and grips - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Melvin

Default Heated seats and grips

Went out for a ride yesterday it was a bit chilly so switched on the heated grips and guess what? no heat to grips or seat,has any one any ideas please.
Thanks Melvin (Cornwall England)
Forgot to mention its a 2006 model

Last edited by Melvin; 11-27-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention age of bike
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
budoka
Administrator

The grips should heat anytime they're turned on. The seat will not generate any heat above 15*c. I'd check the fuses first and beyond that I'd see a dealer.
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
tfdeputydawg

That wonderful system is set up so if one portion fails, nothing works.
Start by making sure seat connector has not come loose.
Then fuses.
After that, there is a trouble shooting sequence to go through that is shown in the Honda service manual.
Hint: Most failures seem to be caused by a left grip failure!
Hint #2, I'd be amazed if you could find a dealer that knows how to trouble shoot/fix Comfort System failures!!!!
tfdeputydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
Melvin

Default heated grips and seats

thanks for info deputydawg,that seems to be the consensus of opinions,next thing is,is the grip replaceable or have you got to buy a complete system what ever that entails.

thanks melvin
Old 11-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
tfdeputydawg

You can buy the grip assembly w/harness as a replacement part.
You might even get lucky enough to get it paid for via customer courtesy coverage.
I had a left heated grip on another brand motorcycle covered this way 2 years after purchase as I convinced customer service a heated grip should not fail after only a few uses in that time period!
But, since the bike now comes from Japan, who knows how long it takes for replacement parts to get here!
tfdeputydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Melvin

hi deputydawg thanks once again you have been more help than the main dealers that i have spoken to,i am now in the garage trying to figure out how to get the grip off,it seems to be glued on

thanks again melvin
Old 11-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Large1

I fought mine and finely took it to the Local dealer (here in Boise) they found that I had both grips bad.
WORD TO THE WISE: Look for after market grips that will plug in! HONDA is real proud of their grips If that is the problem
2006 (White Buffalo)

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
Large1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement