Front Wheel locks up - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 06-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
stevemaloy

Unhappy Front Wheel locks up

on my new 2010: Three times now while engine is running, and I am in reverse with the steering wheel turned to the left all the way, the front wheel has locked up. Once while pulling in my driveway, and I did a turn to the left (feet up rolling slowly with the engine running and in first gear) the front wheel locked up. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I can't get it to do this all of the time. I am quickly getting afraid of slow turns. While in reverse, it is a problem when it happens, but going forward, it forced me to lay it over! I have ridden bikes since 1972, and the only time I ever dropped a bike was on gravel when my foot slipped, and once due to personal stupidity.
Update!!!!!! I am such a dumba__ !!!! I always on my last two bikes, hang my helmit on the mirror. Try putting a full faced helmit on your mirror, and then turn the steering all the way. It hits the brake handle!!!!! What a dummy....... I guess I have dropped two bikes now due to personal stupidity!!!!

Last edited by stevemaloy; 06-22-2010 at 10:24 AM.
stevemaloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Buzzy

Any modifications to the handle bars? Add risers or anything? Does the bike have ABS?
Sounds to me like the front brake cable is getting pulled tight at full lock. Does it do this in one direction or both?

Go out and put the bike on the center stand, turn the bars to full lock in each direction and spin the tire. If it locks up as you say, then examine the brake cable.
I bet it is in a bind or taught at full lock and that is your problem. I can't think of anything else that would cause this. And if it is an ABS model, it will still lock at low speed. When you see the "ABS" light on, it means the ABS is NOT active. I don't remember what speed you have to be at before ABS becomes active, I have never looked but I do know that ABS does not work at "Driveway Speeds" or in reverse.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
stevemaloy

Default does not have ABS

I didn't really want the Navigation and XM radio, nor did I want to pay $4000 more for it in order to get ABS. I sure did want ABS though and almost didn't get the wing because of this, (my last bike was a FJR1300 and it had ABS stock.) but that is another story.
It has only done it while the steering is at full left. 3 times in reverse, and once forward. I tried 3 or 4 times today, both before I rode to work, and again at lunch. I can't make it do it when I want. I am on my way to the bike shop in about an hour. They are calling the TECH line and seeing if they have ever seen it before. This shop here hasn't seen it. Also, it is completely stock. I have only had it for 10 days, and 2400 miles.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
captain78

Don't mess with it...have the dealer come pick it up. Do not ride it. Do not accept it back from the dealer until it is fixed. If they can't figure it out ask for another bike. Do not get pi$$y with them. Be nice but firm.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
budoka
Administrator

Ditto on what captain says, don't ride it and let the dealership take care of it. The guys at tech are there to solve things for their dealerships and the end customer too.
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
blk93wing

Have the dealership check it out. As far as I know, the brakes are controled by hydraulics, not cables and abs would release brake pressure should it sense potential wheel lock-up. I would feel uneasy just thinking of a front (or even a rear wheel) locking up or coming loose at road speed. Sometthing like what you described is hard to diag. over an internet forum. The bike will need to be raisedand all components throughly inspected. Axle pinch bolts may be loose, loose wheel bearings, loose caliper bolts or a brake pad retainer problem. It may even be a speedo drive causing the problem, but I would think the speedo would have quit working after the first thing it locked the front wheel. Since you mentioned only dropping a bike a couple times, I take it you did not have this one made into a trike.
blk93wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Buzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk93wing View Post
Have the dealership check it out. As far as I know, the brakes are controled by hydraulics, not cables and abs would release brake pressure should it sense potential wheel lock-up. I would feel uneasy just thinking of a front (or even a rear wheel) locking up or coming loose at road speed. Sometthing like what you described is hard to diag. over an internet forum. The bike will need to be raisedand all components throughly inspected. Axle pinch bolts may be loose, loose wheel bearings, loose caliper bolts or a brake pad retainer problem. It may even be a speedo drive causing the problem, but I would think the speedo would have quit working after the first thing it locked the front wheel. Since you mentioned only dropping a bike a couple times, I take it you did not have this one made into a trike.
Right you are, I don't know what I was thinking with the brakes and a cable. It just reminded me about a similar problem when I installed a throttle cable one time. It was too taught at full lock and would rev up when I turned to the left all the way.

But yes, I stand corrected and I also agree that the best place for that bike is at the dealer. At least that way, there is a record of the problem should something bad happen.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
stevemaloy

Default Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses. It is in the shop, and the main wing tech listed all of the stuff he was going to check, but admitted he had not seen or heard of this before. I know at highway speeds, I would never turn the steering even a quarter of the way and since it only locked when turned full left, I rode it to the shop. Of course I tried to get it to do it, and the shop tried to make it mess up, and we were unable. Hopefully he can figure something out. If I get it back and it does it again, I will make them take it back.
I am adding this update: I picked it up from the shop. They swear they did everthing they could think of to check anything and everything, and could not find a reason for the wheel locking up. I tried to get it to do it when I picked it up, and after the 30 mile ride back to my office. I could not make it do it.

Last edited by stevemaloy; 06-16-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
steve meltzer

I had a similar experience cruising on the highway at 140kph when all of a sudden the bike started braking heavily and I was forced to pull over on the pavement.I switched off the ignition and tried to move the bike but couldnt.Eventually I pressed the foot brake and heard a click and then was able to restart and continue our trip.I have a 2008 1800 with 9500kms on the clock and the bike has ABS.We rode another 2000kms and never had another problem but am sending the bike to Honda to be checked out as it was a scary experience..
steve meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
BladeRunner

Send a message via ICQ to BladeRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve meltzer View Post
I had a similar experience cruising on the highway at 140kph when all of a sudden the bike started braking heavily and I was forced to pull over on the pavement.I switched off the ignition and tried to move the bike but couldnt.Eventually I pressed the foot brake and heard a click and then was able to restart and continue our trip.I have a 2008 1800 with 9500kms on the clock and the bike has ABS.We rode another 2000kms and never had another problem but am sending the bike to Honda to be checked out as it was a scary experience..
You call that "scary" I call that not only a change of shorts,but, figgin' LUCKY! 140kph? Are you SERIOUS! I wouldn't have even tried to ride it after that...You have some "pair" there big boy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement