Best Tires for Gl1800 - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Wheels and Tires

Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
ProfsTelescope

Default Best Tires for Gl1800

Greetings all, My new 09 GW1800 is nearing 10K - has factory Dunlops. I'm a bigger guy with big Spouse and Kids. Towing long distance too. Starting to get a lot of growling and semi cupping on the back. Looking for advance info before "the time comes" to replace. What's "the best for the above issues. I've heard Dunlop 400 series?
Thanks, ProfsTel
ProfsTelescope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Two Wheel Wing
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Profs from the Keystone state and congrats on your 09 Wing. Lots of choices out there. (Dunlop, Metzler, Avon, Bridgestone and others). Everyone has an opinion on the best one.. If you check the websites you can find the weight limits for each and go from there. From what I can see on other forums most like either the Dunlop or Bridgestone. I've not had to replace mine yet, but on my 98 GL1500 whenever I had to replace them I went with the OEM tires that came with the bike. Your choice, your $$. Do some research and good luck. Ride safe..
IDMWT #1
2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
Two Wheel Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
kurtski

Send a message via ICQ to kurtski
Cool hopefully found my favorite tires

I am on my third set of tires on my 06 gl1800 ,my oe tires were dunlops that lasted 16000 miles and made alot of noise,my second set were a set of dunlop elite 3 and lasted about 12000mi I honestly replaced them cause I could not stand the noise from them anymore.I spent alittle time researching and found avon cobra av71,av72 tires.These tires are a dense belt in the center and a less dense belt on the shoulder for extended wear.All my rear tires so far have always after about 4 or 5 thousand miles had a flat spot with feathering on the edges and when riding double made alot of noise or when lightly leaning made noise and i can honestly say after 3 thousand miles my new set of avons are still perfectly round,but i still have a few more miles to go to be for sure
kurtski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Jenkinsrawhide

Whew! Glad this is not an offensive site as talking of tire brands on other sites will stir up a firestorm. I too read a lot of replies and a whole lot of folks favor the Bridgestones. I have a Michelin on the front and two dear whistles so I really don't know which is causing the whine I hear, but I did not get but about 7800 on my oem Dunlops.
You would think that some manufacturer would come out with a long life, run flat, type tire for motorcycles. If anyone knows for a fact of one, I'd like to hear about it...and please no dark side car tires at this time. Thanks.
Jenkinsrawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
joe in calif

I have ran Dunlops on all my Gold Wings in the past, now I run Bridgestones 709 front and 704 rear. I like them a lot!!

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
joe in calif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I have ran Dunlops on all my Gold Wings in the past, now I run Bridgestones 709 front and 704 rear. I like them a lot!!
I'll be getting tires next year so I'll check back with you on your Bridgestones as they are to date.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
detdrbuzzard
Super Moderator

the load rating for the dunlop 400 tires is too low for a fully loaded wing. funny thing about dunlop e3 tires is the ones on my 1200 don't make any noise and the e3's on my 1500 only make noise sometimes. i thought it was pavement related but even going to and from work ( i take the same route ever day ) there noisy one trip and not the next
'84 gl1200 aspencade
'93gl1500se,
'85 cb450sc
'05 sunL 70

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
iba
hat
roadranger
detdrbuzzard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
jaxgoldwing

ive had nothing but good luck with the stones they last as long as the e3's and grip like the avons plus you can usualy find them for less! good luck
jaxgoldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
oldtimer

Years ago, many years ago, like about 30. I used to replace my original tires with Continental tires. They were quiet and very good in the rain....I don't know where they stand now....
GWRRA Member
NRA Member
N1ATF
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
Graham

Send a message via AIM to Graham

Hi Kurtski.I have an 06 1800 also and just love it.A lot of guys in here are really long time owners of wings,it would seem and i would like to ask all of you one question.Why is the tranny (or engine) so whiney ?
its really the only thing i dont like about my bike.the previous owner upgraded to a new wing and he told me they are all the same,including his brand new one.does anyone else have this complaint, or should i just put a throatier exhaust system on it and turn up the CD volume ?
Cheers
Graham from Downunder
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement