1999 goldwing (help please) - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 02-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
gwwing93

Unhappy 1999 goldwing (help please)

i have a 1999 goldwing when i go to put it in (N) the green light will not come on and will not start..just bought the bike 1 weeek ago and was doing fine till today...please help me out ..going to bike week in Fl thursday

thanks
mike
gwwing93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Two Wheel Wing
Super Moderator

Some things to check and some questions. First, does the bike actually go into neutral? Second, did you make any adjustment to the clutch lever or add new grips to the bike? Sometimes if you do the lever when you pull it does not make contact with the switch and bike does not sense it's in neutral.
IDMWT #1
2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
Two Wheel Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
gwwing93

Default 1999 goldwing won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheel Wing View Post
Some things to check and some questions. First, does the bike actually go into neutral? Second, did you make any adjustment to the clutch lever or add new grips to the bike? Sometimes if you do the lever when you pull it does not make contact with the switch and bike does not sense it's in neutral.
no i have not done anything to the bike, got off the bike 2 days ago turned the key off then went out today and won't start.yes it goes into neutral the bike will move back and forth. no adjustment to the bike at all....checked fuses
gwwing93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
bobhrc1

Default Nuetral...

Mike,
I am assuming that you have power and the rest of the lights come on. There is a nuetral/reverse switch on the left side that the reverse lever activates it. Make sure the reverse lever lever is in the down position the whole way. You can work the reverse lever back and forth a couple of times and knock the switch loose if it is just sticking. If that don't do it, it must be replaced (35370-MN5-003) and costs about $15-$16. That is what it sounds like?? My best guess anyway! Take care - good luck. Bob
Old 02-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
heavychevy

I just had to put the reverse micro switch in mine for the same problem. Pull the left carb cover of and turn the key on while in Neutral. Reach in right where the reverse lever pivots and you can feel the switch. if you just fiddle with it a moment or two the nuetral light should come on. Don't use reverse until you replace that switch. I think the switch is only 12 dollars through Honda. I had mine go bad coming back from Charlotte headed back to Myrtle Beach. Had to bump it off on a hill and keep it running all the way home. (Gas stops, restroom and lunch)
heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
heavychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhrc1 View Post
Mike,
I am assuming that you have power and the rest of the lights come on. There is a nuetral/reverse switch on the left side that the reverse lever activates it. Make sure the reverse lever lever is in the down position the whole way. You can work the reverse lever back and forth a couple of times and knock the switch loose if it is just sticking. If that don't do it, it must be replaced (35370-MN5-003) and costs about $15-$16. That is what it sounds like?? My best guess anyway! Take care - good luck. Bob
I should have read yours before I posted, lol
Old 02-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
So-Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychevy View Post
I should have read yours before I posted, lol
Chevy we have all blundered into that one---- haveing read all the post ---ha --ha -- I think hes right on the mark ---so were you
So-Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
heavychevy

I tried moving the reverse lever on mine 100 times and nothing. Lucky for me there was a nice steep hill coming out of the gas station I was parked at when mine went south. I bumped it off on the hill and got home. Good thing it's water cooled. It was like 29 degrees and kept having to stop to get the feeling back in mmy hands. I was wearing a pair of 120 dollar gloves and still freezing. I left it idling for an hour outside a Hardees while I ate lunch and thawed out. I was sitting right outside the window
Old 02-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
So-Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavychevy View Post
I tried moving the reverse lever on mine 100 times and nothing. Lucky for me there was a nice steep hill coming out of the gas station I was parked at when mine went south. I bumped it off on the hill and got home. Good thing it's water cooled. It was like 29 degrees and kept having to stop to get the feeling back in mmy hands. I was wearing a pair of 120 dollar gloves and still freezing. I left it idling for an hour outside a Hardees while I ate lunch and thawed out. I was sitting right outside the window
Chevy -- you need to invest insome heated clothing --- I have the coat--gloves--pants --and socks--- if I need any more heat Im staying home till the ice age passes
So-Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
heavychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by So-Cal View Post
Chevy -- you need to invest insome heated clothing --- I have the coat--gloves--pants --and socks--- if I need any more heat Im staying home till the ice age passes
Nobody builds heated clohting in my size. If they did I'd have to put a tractor battery in my trunk to keep them warm, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement