correct coolant - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 02-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
johnnieg

Default correct coolant

I owned a 79 Wing and now have a 77 Wing. What type coolant is best to use? I remember from when I had the 79 that there was a right/wrong type of coolant to use but can't remember what the details were. Thanks for any help.
Johnnieg
johnnieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
fossil92
Super Moderator

I would like to take the oppurtunity to welcome you to the site from PA. Good bunch/discussion here.

I don't know the answer but must admit I'm intrigued, would like to know myself now.

There are riders, and there are people who ride motorcycles.
fossil92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
heavychevy

Use the regular green coolant and 50/50 mix of distilled water. If I have anything with that extended life crap I flush it out and replace it. It's good until the air hits it and then it turns to slush. The green (ethylene Glycol) works best and stays cleaner but needs a flush every 3-4 years at most. (I do mine every other year) The (propylene Glycol) Pink is great if your cooling sysyem new is exposed to air but will turn to pure sludge over time if much air is introduced into the cooling system. As a professional Master Auto Technician I've seen enough propylene Glycol(Dexcool,Procooland some other names) disasters that any new vehicle I buy I fush that crap out and put in Prestone Ethylene Glycol (the green) coolant in everything.
heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Two Wheel Wing
Super Moderator

I was intrigued about this one too, so I check on some other boards. From the discussions I've seen it seems whatever you use it should contain silicate because the Goldwing engines are aluminum. That said, I would get the Honda coolant from the dealer. It may cost more, but what's a couple of $$ to be sure.
IDMWT #1
2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
Two Wheel Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

My little Owner's Manual notes this : "Using coolant with silicate inhibitors may cause premature wear of water pump seals or blockage of radiator passages....." This is an 08 manual though, which is a backwards way of saying that you should use silicate, if I'm reading this correctly ?

Last edited by Chopin; 02-26-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Chopin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
detdrbuzzard
Super Moderator

go to your local honda car dealer and buy antifreeze that way you know its right for our engines
'84 gl1200 aspencade
'93gl1500se,
'85 cb450sc
'05 sunL 70

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
iba 58509
hat
detdrbuzzard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
heavychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin114 View Post
My little Owner's Manual notes this : "Using coolant with silicate inhibitors may cause premature wear of water pump seals or blockage of radiator passages....." This is an 08 manual though, which is a backwards way of saying that you should use silicate, if I'm reading this correctly ?
Honda Used Etylene Glycol based coolant from 1975 through at least 2002 in there 1000- 1500 engines which contain silicates. If You flush the coolant regularly and use distilled water it won' t be a problem. I had much rather put a waterpump on every 100,000 mile (Have yet to have a water pump failure on any GL) than have my coolant passages clogged up and ruin my engine. Buying Honda Coolant is like buying Honda Oil. It's just an overpriced version of what you can buy at a parts store.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
joe in calif

Any anti-freeze that is silicate free will work, I buy mine premixed at the Honda dealer, only about $5.00 a qt. so for $20.00 you have the right stuff. A water pump is a lot more expensive than that if you use the wrong stuff. You could buy the stuff at a Honda car dealer and mix it yourself with distilled water and have enough for 2 changes but then you have to store it for a couple of years until your next change.
joe in calif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
johnnieg

Thanks for the info. If I remember, it had something to do with the water pump but not sure. Will get some coolant you recommended and do the coolant change.

Johnnieg

Last edited by johnnieg; 02-26-2010 at 11:17 AM.
johnnieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
heavychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
Any anti-freeze that is silicate free will work, I buy mine premixed at the Honda dealer, only about $5.00 a qt. so for $20.00 you have the right stuff. A water pump is a lot more expensive than that if you use the wrong stuff. You could buy the stuff at a Honda car dealer and mix it yourself with distilled water and have enough for 2 changes but then you have to store it for a couple of years until your next change.
About the only time silicate comes into play is if you mix it with harsh tap water. All water pump seals on Honda Cars, Trucks and even most domestic vehicles are made of the same rubber. It's just CYA for Honda. The same as telling you the load limit is 405 pounds, Not to pull a trailer, Not to put more than 5 pounds on a luggage rack and so on. I have almost 1/2 million miles on water cooled Hondas and 0 coolant related failures. Ive seen many many cars with sludged up cooling systems from using extended use coolant. If you followed all of Hondas reccemendations you would be able to get out of the driiveway. I check my tire pressure, oil level, coolant level before each ride. I check all that every few weeks. Honda will scare you right out of riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement