Navigation Map updating - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 01-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Fire Q

Default Navigation Map updating

I have a 2008 with Navigation. I think it works great but the maps for my area are so out dated. Streets that are 3 years old at the time I bought my bike were not on the maps.
I I know I have the most currant version the 4.3 version 8.0.
I would like to update the maps only. Can anyone Help.

Thanks Rich
Fire Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Dave

I also have a 2008 Wing with Navi. Maps seem to be outdated. I
checked with Honda America, and they were nice folks, butcould not help me with this problem. Hope someone has an answer?.
Also, anyone know how to disable the thing that will not let you use the GPS while moving? It would be nice to check out gas stops without stopping everytime.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
sn0wghost

Send a message via Yahoo to sn0wghost
Default Updating the Honda NAVI and FIRMWARE

I don't know if anyone has posted any instructions to this thread yet, but here is what I have regarding the update for the Honda NAVI.

NOTE: These instructions are for the 2006-08 NAVI only and will get you as current as you can be. Any further updates will require updating your NAVI hardware or trading for a newer GW. The 2009 and newer GWs use the NT compression algorithm and you should be able to update your maps with the NT version of the sofware. I haven't tried this, so don't ask if the same process applies; I don't know.

JEK

UPDATING HONDA NAVI (US Version)

Updating your map set and firmware on the US Honda NAVI is a cumbersome, but manageable process. Just follow the recipe below:

Save yourself a lot of grief—READ and UNDERSTAND the entire process before starting. It will take you less than 5 minutes to read this entire instruction and will save you hours of aggravation later. =)

What You Need
2GB Compact Flash (CF) memory card (you can use the one in your NAVI)
CF Card Reader for your PC (many printers have card readers built in)
Latest Honda NAVI Firmware (as of Dec 08, V4.31), filename “gupdate.gcd”
Garmin “City Navigator North America 2009” I used PN: 010-10474-00 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8465)
NOTE: You must use the “non-NT” version of the software. If the title of the software includes the letters “NT,” it WILL NOT work with the Honda NAVI.
Your Honda NAVI “Unit ID” (see “Get Your Unit ID” below)
Your Honda NAVI “Serial Number” (see “Get Your Serial Number” below)
Patience and strict adherence to the instructions below.
How to Perform the Update

FIRMWARE ======================================
1. Backup Your Honda NAVI CF Card. Just put your CF card in the reader hooked to your PC and copy the files from the Honda NAVI CF to a backup directory on your PC (put them in a folder titled “\GARMIN”). You can treat the Honda NAVI CF just like a disk drive.

2. Put a New CF in your Card Reader. Create a “\GARMIN” directory on the new CF Card. You can use your existing card, but make sure you back up your existing files (Step 1 above) before deleting them from the old CF Card. If you’re using your existing card, ensure you leave the \GARMIN directory on the CF Card and put all your downloaded updates into this directory.

3. Copy the New Firmware onto the CF Card. Copy the new Firmware file (“gupdate.gcd”) into the \GARMIN directory on the CF Card. It has the same name as the old one, so keep your new copy separate from your original Honda NAVI backup. If you need a copy of the latest update, I’m sure you know one Gold Wing Pilot who has this version; ask around.

4. Load Your New Firmware to Your Honda NAVI.
a. Power up your Gold Wing by turning the key to ACC, but DON’T PRESS the Enter button.

b. Insert your newly uploaded CF card with Firmware only (no map update) into your Honda NAVI.

c. Let the new software load up; the process is automatic—be patient and DON’T TURN THE POWER OFF until you confirm the GPS system reboots.
5. Verify Your Firmware Loaded Properly. You should verify the Firmware version by hitting “Menu” then “Setup/Info” then “Info/System” and you will see the Firmware version installed and the Unit ID. If it doesn’t match the version you were expecting, you have a problem. Carefully follow the process again.
MAPS ======================================
1. Update Your Firmware Version. If you need to, update your Firmware first, using the process above.

2. Get Your Unit ID. Turn your Gold Wing key to the “ACC” position and let the NAVI start. Then, hit “Menu” then “Setup/Info” then “Info/System” and you will see your Firmware version installed and the Unit ID. Write down both numbers.

3. Get Your Serial Number.
a. Disassembly. If you’re comfortable with disassembling your NAVI hardware, you’ll need to remove the NAVI system to get to the “Serial Number” on the unit. This number is different than the Unit ID.

b. Calling Garmin. See http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/sit...supportcontact
for the contact info. Ask them for a cross reference to your NAVI Serial Number via the “Unit ID” determined in Step 1. Just give them the Unit ID and they should be able to give you your NAVI’s registered Serial Number. If the NAVI has been replaced (warranty or other) since manufacture, you’ll have to use Step 3a.
4. Backup Your Honda NAVI CF Card. Just put your CF card in the reader hooked to your PC and copy the files from the Honda NAVI CF to a backup directory on your PC (put them in a folder titled “\GARMIN”). You can treat the Honda NAVI CF just like a disk drive.

5. Put a New CF in your Card Reader. You can use your existing card, but make sure you back up your existing files (Step 4) before deleting them from the card.

6. Install Software to your PC. Install your City Navigator North America 2009 to your PC, including unlocking your maps.

7. Configure your Software.
a. The first “pull down” should read: “City Navigator North America 2009”

b. The second “pull down” should read: “1000 mi” Ensure you can see the entire map graphic.

c. Use the “Map Select Tool,” the one that looks like a polygon, next to the “Magnifying Glass,” and select the entire map set. Select the entire set by dragging your held-down cursor over the entire map graphic from upper left to lower right. The individual map regions will turn pink.

d. Click the “Maps” tab at the left and you’ll see each map listed in the info section of the tab. At the bottom, it will also tell you how large the set is in MB (1024MB = 1GB). Don’t exceed the capacity of your CF Card.
8. Transfer the Map Set to the New CF. If you’re using your existing card, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP and delete the files from the CF card before attempting to load new files to your existing CF card. Note: THIS PROCESS CAN TAKE A FEW HOURS; BE PATIENT.

9. Load Your New Data to Your Honda NAVI. Insert your newly uploaded CF card into your Honda NAVI. Turn your key to ACC and let the new software load up; the process is automatic.

10. Enjoy Your Updated Maps!

I support the GWBBA
Visit Motorcycle Log Book for all your
Touring and Maintenance recordkeeping needs

Last edited by sn0wghost; 01-11-2011 at 03:16 PM.
sn0wghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Johnny 5

I have 2 Garmin hand held (etrex & 60csx) can I load my way points from all over the U.S. that I have aquired without changing any data.I have a 2008 wing with navi Thanks Johnny 5
Johnny 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
Canuck623

Does anyone know if the compact flash card in the 08 and earlier models can be updated with the SD version from the 09's? I have a PC with all the card slots and it seems like it might be easy to just copy the 09 SD and write it to a compact flash card. The software and maps are on the card so it should work. I am going to get a spare compact card to try it on. Will post results. I have an 09 card but as you know I can't put it in my 08.
Canuck623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
sn0wghost

Thumbs down We're Screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck623 View Post
Does anyone know if the compact flash card in the 08 and earlier models can be updated with the SD version from the 09's? I have a PC with all the card slots and it seems like it might be easy to just copy the 09 SD and write it to a compact flash card. The software and maps are on the card so it should work. I am going to get a spare compact card to try it on. Will post results. I have an 09 card but as you know I can't put it in my 08.

The 2009 and 2008 NAVIs are different hardware and use differt software compression algorithms. The only way to update the 2008s and earliers is to get a copy of the non-NT version of CityNavigator 2009 and update using the process on the "Updating the Honda NAVI" thread.

Would be nice if your solution would work, but it's different software and won't work. Thanks Honda and Garmin for orphaning the early adopters.

I support the GWBBA
Old 01-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
tmccullion

Jim,

Great post thanks. Unfortunately, I already ordered the new 2009 CF card from Garmin!

If I am reading your post correctly, since I have 4.31 of the software already loaded on my CF card, I can just download the latests maps from Garmin and not pay the extra fee for the card? ($119 lifetime v. $169/card?)

Is there anyway to download pre-defined trips as well?

I'm bummed as I have a 550 on my other bike and miss that functionality.

Tom
tmccullion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
sn0wghost

Post No Way to Upload to NAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccullion View Post
Jim,

Great post thanks. Unfortunately, I already ordered the new 2009 CF card from Garmin!

If I am reading your post correctly, since I have 4.31 of the software already loaded on my CF card, I can just download the latests maps from Garmin and not pay the extra fee for the card? ($119 lifetime v. $169/card?)

Tom
Tom:

It would be a real treat to have the same functionality of the 550 on the NAVI, especially the touch screen.

I also have a Zumo550 on mounted on my Lev3 Wing and use it for detailed navigation; I use the onboard NAVI for the "big picture" and don't use it for point-to-point navigation, unless I'm too lazy to put the Zumo in it's mount before I leave the garage.

Just mount your Zumo on the Wing and consider the NAVI a "free accessory" you got when you bought the ABS model.

Good Luck!

I support the GWBBA

Last edited by sn0wghost; 01-22-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
sn0wghost

Smile Apologies. Didn't Answer Fully

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccullion View Post
Jim,

Tom

Tom:

There is no way currently to download pre-planned trips from your MapSource application to the NAVI on the 2006-08 models.

As I said, you're best option is to mount your Zumo on your Wing.

JIM

I support the GWBBA
Old 01-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Canuck623

Just purchased the CF card for my 08 from Garmin. 149 bucks plus is steep but cheaper than it was a few months ago. To make it worth while I think I will make a few copies for a couple friends. Garmin isn't supporting it any more so no harm right?
Canuck623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement