How to Check the Oil - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Oil and Lubrication

Old 12-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
flawinger

Default How to Check the Oil

Sorry if there is a thread for this. I searched and could not find it.

Can anyone give a step by step where the oil dipstick is located on a 08 GL1800. Just bought bike and found the tire pressure was way off and so now don't trust that dealer set the bike up right.

I understand you have to remove some of the plastic to get to the dipstick. Does anyone have a picture of where it is.

Thanks for the help.
flawinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Carl334

Where is (use) your Owners Manual?
Carl334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
joe in calif

Dip stick is under the right engine cover, they are kind of hard to get off but they just pop off. Read your owners manual for the proper way to check the oil on the 1800. It is a pain, sometimes you can check it and it is full other times it will hardly show on the stick. How many miles do you have on your bike? You might just change it to give you piece of mind, If the bike is new change it at about 500 miles and don't worry checking, put in a gallon and ride it for 3000 miles and then change it again. Gold Wings don't use oil.!!
joe in calif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
flawinger

Checked the owners manual. Just tells you to remove the right side engine cover to access the oil dipstick. Going to have the dealer show me. Afraid of braking the plastic covers.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

I pulled my off last week for the first time. I felt your apprehension. It wasn't intuitive. I saw the " tab " at the forward end and wondered just how far I could pull the backside out before I would hear a " SNAP! ". Conscious almost made a coward of me. Between you and me, it was still easier then getting the bike on the center stand.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Carl334

Flawinger: I may have been a bit harsh in my first reply; sorry. Your are right the Owners Manual leaves much to be desired. You might consider one of the aftermarket Owners Workshop Manuals, mine has a whole chapter just on dissembly of fairings and bodywork. You might have the dealer show you how to remove all the panels that maybe service related, there are many. There may be as many as 50 pieces of plastic on that wing.

Last edited by Carl334; 12-31-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Carl334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Got to love the " Honda " . As heavy as they are, it's amazing how much ABS plastic they contain. Where is all that 900 + pounds located, anyway ?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
flawinger

Had dealer show me today. It really is quite easy once someone shows you. There is a slot on the bottom and you pull the panel out from the back. There is a slot in the front and that is the reason you have to pull out from the back.

Happy New Year everyone and safe riding.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Coach Sal

Send a message via AIM to Coach Sal

It's really not that complicatied. Place the machine on the center stand. The right engine cover pulls right off just like any other motorcycle side cover. Just work the rear end free from the rubber grommets by pulling directly outward (you may have to apply some pressure to do this but I can't imagine breaking it). Once the cover breaks free of the grommets just pull the cover towards the rear of the bike to disengage it from a rubber tab at the front. Unscrew the dipstick and remove it. Wipe it clean with a clean rag. Put the dipstick back into the hole but DO NOT SCREW IT IN then simply remove it again and take a reading. Hope this helps. - The Coach
Coach Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
flawinger

Thanks Coach. I ended up getting down to the dealer which is some distance from me and that is exactly how they showed me to get to it. I did not know about not screwing the dipstick back in to check the oil level. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement