Thinking of adding a heel/toe gear shifter - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
jbranontn

Default Thinking of adding a heel/toe gear shifter

I have a 85 Goldwing Aspencade GL1200 and was thinking of adding a heel/toe shifter.....The guy who runs a local bike shop and deals primarily in Goldwings said he would advise against it because he said they are bad about bending the shaft....Anyone have any thoughts on this....Yea or Ney
jbranontn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
halfa12pk

had an 86 with the heel toe shifter and i loved it i am looking into putting one on my 07 in the spring
halfa12pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
jbranontn

Did yours have pegs or floorboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfa12pk View Post
had an 86 with the heel toe shifter and i loved it i am looking into putting one on my 07 in the spring
jbranontn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
joe in calif

That is what is said by some on the Internet, and it is used by Honda to not cover a tranny under warranty (I know yours is not in warranty) I don't see a difference if you shift by raising the lever up with your toe or pushing a heel/toe down with your heel, the main thing is to have it adjusted right so there is no tension on the shifter after the shift. If you have a bike in warranty and have tranny problems, take the heel/toe shifter before you take it to the dealer.
joe in calif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
rickfrl

i have an 08, and love the heel shifter. Just my $.02 worth, rick.
rickfrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
WA9FWT

Default shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbranontn View Post
I have a 85 Goldwing Aspencade GL1200 and was thinking of adding a heel/toe shifter.....The guy who runs a local bike shop and deals primarily in Goldwings said he would advise against it because he said they are bad about bending the shaft....Anyone have any thoughts on this....Yea or Ney
Took me awhile to get useto a system like that after ridding 34 years on a CB-750. I now run a 82 GW A and with boards to rest that left foot after shifting first gear, then just heal down and it sure works just fine. Phil WA9FWT
WA9FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
digbar1

I got a '98 1500 from a guy who used a heel/toe shifter, and he tore up two trannies with it. Going from first to second takes a solid flick with my boot, or I get neutral. Last summer I had to replace the shaft seal where it comes out of the tranny - had to drop the exhaust!

My vote is against the heel/toe shifter.
digbar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
WA9FWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbar1 View Post
I got a '98 1500 from a guy who used a heel/toe shifter, and he tore up two trannies with it. Going from first to second takes a solid flick with my boot, or I get neutral. Last summer I had to replace the shaft seal where it comes out of the tranny - had to drop the exhaust!

My vote is against the heel/toe shifter.
This is a first that I have heard about any problems with this kind of a shifter.The seal leaking and having to replace is commen, but not any other problems.Any body else have problems ?

WA9FWT Phil
WA9FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
sjncousin

I own the same kind of '85 GW. Have had it for 5 years now, it's in great shape with 78k miles. It came with a 2 Kury chrome driver floor boards w/ chrome heel/toe shifter & right brake pedal when I got it. I really like them & have never had any problems. Just upgraded to an '06 GW and plan on adding the same to my newer GW. (Just be sure to clutch/shift together and always use a strong toe/heel click down.)

sjncousin
sjncousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
calbigbird

I had boards and a heel/toe shifter on two 1200's and a 1500 with no problems. I think the problem may be when the rider does not take the foot off the shifter after changing gears. That could put pressure on the shift shaft and seal. If you add them, don't ride with your foot on the shifter after changing gears and you should be okay
calbigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement