Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mds

48K views 76 replies 20 participants last post by  Dookoo 
#1 ·
I have an 08 GL18 and think it is a great bike. The finest I have ever ridden. Only problem I have with the bike, if you can call it a problem, is it is too quiet. I know they make some aftermarket exhaust and was wondering who had what and what they thought of them. Also wondering about mileage and power changes with the new exhaust.
Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
'08 Gl 1800

Yeah, I'm with ya on that too Raider. I love my bike and I am very pleased with the thought that I don't ever need to upgrade from here. I also think the bike is a little too quiet and I would like to get it a notch or two higher. Being the thrifty person I am, I am willing to wait until the bike needs replacement exhaust. Can anyone tell me about when, in miles, I will need to replace the muffler system?

#3 ·
I have heard mixed reports on this. I e-mailed Cobra direct and got no response, but they only list processors for carbureted bikes on their site. I'm betting that unless you do something radical to the intake tract, the bikes ECU and fuel mapping will compensate just fine. I'll find out next spring when I decide on whether to go Cobra or Torqmaster. I've heard some reports from riders that have drilled 1/2" holes in the baffles to boost the sound of their bike. Not sure about that one.

#4 ·
Here's a topic that addresses a contradiction: " Why can't a Goldwing be more like a motorcycle ? " . I share the same " stealth " sentiments of power without presence issue. I attribute it to being a V-Twin rider and the feel and noise of those two pistons slapping up and down. Imagine what six pistons could feel and sound like! The Cobra slip-ons look like a good alternative. I have heard them on a VTX and was impressed. I would encourage those of you with expendable income to try it so we can decide if the bang is worth the buck.

#7 ·
Exhaust note

I do like the sound of a V Twin nicely tuned. Actually one of the fiercest sounding exhaust notes (to me) was a late model triumph triple run up in a dyno with aftermarket pipes. This thing sounded all business. Actually an AJS, BSA or Velocette single sounds terrific as well.

In my experience, the sound of a Valkeryie or a Wing with modified exhaust is simply too busy to be pretty. In a row of Porsches maybe this is an OK note. Out on the hiway It is not appealing to me. There isn't much a stock wing will not do powerwise. Personally, I'd leave a Wing exhaust alone. Racket on a 1500 miler is the last thing I want to bring along.

Life is short; do it now! :D

#8 ·
800 more miles

So, I have about 800 more miles on the Cobra slip ons. Still like them alot. No problem on longer trips. Resonance can be overcome with the radio. Get alot of looks and comments on these pipes and the way they sound/look. I really like them over the stock. No problems with the bikes fuel system, the ECU compensated for the pipes without any problems.

I still believe I gained some horsepower and now that I have had the pipes for some time and quit blipping the throttle every second it seems to be getting about the same mileage, if not a hair better. I promise I will try not to beat every person I meet off the line and see what I can do for a mileage comparison.

Would highly recommend these pipes (hear that Cobra?) to anyone with the desire for a little more sound out of their Wing with little cost and super easy install.

Ride Safe and hope to see some of you in Hico at the Pie Run this weekend.:D

RT

#9 ·
So, I have about 800 more miles on the Cobra slip ons. Still like them alot. No problem on longer trips. Resonance can be overcome with the radio. Get alot of looks and comments on these pipes and the way they sound/look. I really like them over the stock. No problems with the bikes fuel system, the ECU compensated for the pipes without any problems.

RT
Can we get a picture of how the " sound " looks on the bike ?

#12 ·
So thought I would give a quick update on the pipes since I started this post and could be the cause of someone buying these pipes.

Having put about 4,000 miles on them since I put them on with a couple of slower long rides (60mph or so) I must now say that the resonance was about the only thing that I heard!! I knew it was worste at that speed but man after 947 miles I almost cut them off and threw them into the Intercoastal Waterway, luckily the Coast Gaurd was out and stopped me:) I am going to do one more ride to San Antonio and the Hill Country this weekend and if they are as bad at 70 or so.... than they were at 60 I will post them up for sale on Monday!!

Apologize for the original excitement. I still do like the way they sound and look, mileage is a little better also, but I am doing a 7,000 miler in July and do not want to deal with the resonance issues.

Bike runs great by the way.

#13 ·
Still agonizing over this issue. IDO want some more growl out of the Wing, but don't want to take away from the refined nature of the bike. I like the idea of an increase in performance with the combination of the Torqmaster pipes and the torq loopz (the extra baffles would keep sig/other happy) but I'd have the snarl for my HD buddies in back of me. The Cobras have a nicer appearance I think, but I'm thinking more of audible than bling. Decisions, decisions:rolleyes:

#14 ·
Well today for an experiment I pulled the baffles out of the Cobra pipes. Was really easy and quick so I figured why not. I started it up and out poured the sweetest hot rod V-8 sound I ever heard, it was simply stated AWESOME!! Just too loud, so the baffles went back in. Did take a ride with them out and my son said he could hear me for about a 1/2 mile or so. To bad I have gotten to old to keep them in.

#15 ·
According to Jimmy at Torqmaster, the converter does come out for installing the Torqloopz which makes it a "true dual exhaust" system. I'm not sure I'd want to take the converter off my bike either. Wings are never going to sound like the Milwaukee brand (and that's a good thing) but I sure like the idea of unleashing the snarl in that big six. There are also dyno charts that back up the claims of torque and hp increases. Haven't seen anything on the Cobras, and every time I send an e-mail enquiry to them, I get no answer. Hmmm.

#16 ·
I believe the slip ons will still allow the exhaust to flow better. I admit it could be the added sound that makes if feel more powerful. Could also be the significant weight loss over the stock exhaust, much, much lighter than stock.
I contacted Cobra concerning the new exhaust they have out and if it fixes the "droning" that I get in these. They said it did. So of course I asked the next logical question (at least in my mind) to see if they are going to make right on the sub par exhaust they put out? They said they were a manufacturer, not a retailer, so I would have to call who I bought them from. I said it was a manufacturing problem, not a resalers so.... So they did nothing.
But I still like the way they look and sound. Torqueloopz next (right after next major service) and we will see how it sounds and behaves then!!!!

#18 ·
Glad you're happy Raider! I thought about the torqloopz as well, but I haven't decided on them yet. I'd likely use my extra baffles if I did though. My Kingsnakes have a pretty mean wail to them under full throttle acceleration, very little drone on the highway.

#20 ·
Yes please get us a sound clip, I'm more than a tad curious too.

#21 ·
I know people who have used the Torq Master slip ons and the Torq Loopz on their GL-1800's and have had improved performance. The company that makes the system states that the ECM doesn't notice the change and that it takes care of itself in about 20 miles.
You keep the O2 sensors on the headpipes and remove the Catalytic Convertors and replace them with the Torq Loopz and then add the Torq Master slip on mufflers.

#22 ·
The tri-ovals had just come out when I got my Torqmasters. I tried to get more info from Cobra about them (warranty, weight, sound levels difference between them and the slip-ons) and I never heard a word back from three separate e-mails. I figure if they aren't interested enough to get back to me, I don't need their product. I had very good luck with Cobra (including returned correspondence) on two of my other bikes, both with pipes and other custom accessories but not this time.

#23 ·
More

I too would like more growl from my 1800, but I'm too cheap to blow the $400 or whatever it is for aftermarket pipes.:confused: My old 93 had Torque Masters on it when I bought it and I loved that sound. It did do this resonating thing on the highway but I where earplugs anyway, then i turn up the stereo.:D
I thought about cutting a couple of 3/4 inch holes in the back of the stock muffler. You could always plug it back up if you didn't like it eh?:eek:

#26 ·
I too would like more growl from my 1800, but I'm too cheap to blow the $400 or whatever it is for aftermarket pipes.:confused: My old 93 had Torque Masters on it when I bought it and I loved that sound. It did do this resonating thing on the highway but I where earplugs anyway, then i turn up the stereo.:D
I thought about cutting a couple of 3/4 inch holes in the back of the stock muffler. You could always plug it back up if you didn't like it eh?:eek:
The Torque Master mufflers and Torque Loopz are of excellent quality and trike owners are beginning to use them for increased performance. There are Cobra mufflers and I have heard about a set called 'Alley Cat'. Found a website offering them http://www.chriscoacc.com/webPages/cobra_exhaust.htm

#28 ·
I've only had them for one season, but I'm pleased with the quality of the finish on my King Snakes. It's too early to say how well they'll stand up over time though. I'll hang on to my OEM's for a couple years just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.