winterize - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 09-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
halfa12pk

Default winterize

for those of us that live in the colder region what do you guys do to winterize your wing? i have a 07 that i just bought a month ago.
halfa12pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
ronzilla

... Howdy ... Where Will You Be Storing Inside/outside ??? ... Make Sure You Have The Correct Antifreeze Mixture For Area ... Add Fuel Stabilizer Fill Tank ... Place On A Battery Tender Or Disconnect Battery ... Cover Bike If Outside ... Theres A Start ... Happy Trails ...
... ST. JUDES CHILDERNS HOSPITAL ...
ronzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
detdrbuzzard
Super Moderator

put cardboard under your wing from front to back, do what ronzilla said but before putting the cover on your wing coat with lemon pledge. seafoam works as a gas stabilizer too.
'84 gl1200 aspencade
'93gl1500se,
'85 cb450sc
'05 sunL 70

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
iba
hat
roadranger
detdrbuzzard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Two Wheel Wing
Super Moderator

Fill gas tank, pull into garage, put up on A stand, place carpet strips under wheels, hook up battery tender, put on Tour King cover and good night see ya in the spring.
IDMWT #1
2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
Two Wheel Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Poncho Ramrod

If the bike is going to be laid up for only 2-3 months, what about starting it and letting it warm up every week or so? It will be in an heated garage. I used to do that with my old cruiser and didn't have any problems. It kept the battery up and the fuel was going through it. As for the lemon pledge, its all I ever use to clean the bike. When we have really hot summers here in Newfoundland, there are always water restrictions which means washing vehicles is not permitted.....with water anyway. Lyndon
Poncho Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Two Wheel Wing
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Ramrod View Post
If the bike is going to be laid up for only 2-3 months, what about starting it and letting it warm up every week or so? It will be in an heated garage. I used to do that with my old cruiser and didn't have any problems. It kept the battery up and the fuel was going through it. As for the lemon pledge, its all I ever use to clean the bike. When we have really hot summers here in Newfoundland, there are always water restrictions which means washing vehicles is not permitted.....with water anyway. Lyndon
I've never run the bike once I put it away for the season. The battery tender takes care of the battery which keeps the electronics safe. The issue with running it is how long to run it to avoid any moisture/condensation in the exhaust system and heating the engine oil to avoid problems. I've heard estimates of 30 - 45 minutes of run time needed. But if you have done it in the past and feel comfortable with doing it, go for it...
IDMWT #1
2009 GL1800 Silver Audio/Comfort

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
Two Wheel Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Poncho Ramrod

Thanks Two Wheel. My old bike was a nothing compared to the Wing. So I'll be safe and follow the manual as well as the great advice from you masters of this forum. And by the way, Congrats Quadzilla ! Lyndon
Poncho Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
halfa12pk

thanks guys it is a good start for me.
halfa12pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement