GW Trike owners - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
jimz7

Default GW Trike owners

My plan was to purchase a trike, but today received a letter from Honda motorcycle support re: my request for info re: Honda warranty coverage with a trike. I was told by the trike company that Honda would honor the "Honda" and the trike company would honor the trike portion. Now I'm concerned because Honda says "Failures resulting from modifications to your Gold Wing are not covered by the Honda limited warranty." What I'm concerned about is if I have a warranty issue how can one tell if the issue was caused by the trike mod? Anyone care to comment.
jimz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
trike lady
Super Moderator

It's a sensitive topic.
Some Honda dealers will look the other way on the claim and not report the bike has been converted. Mostly depends upon the dealer, now if the Honda dealer converts the Wing to a trike it may be a different situation.

IDMHT#1
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certification
trike lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
tfdeputydawg

Basically, here's the deal. You trike your Wing and you kiss good bye to warranty coverage on any drive train failure, if mother Honda knows it's been triked
Of more concern may be the fact that most dealers refuse to work on a triked Wing simply because they are not set up to do so.
The different case TL cited is a confusing part of the warranty, no warranty deal. We are smart enough to know that Honda knows they have dealers that are doing conversions and they know that several of the warranty claims filed are on converted Wings. Yet a "blind eye" is turned and those claims are covered.
Bottom line, you take a chance on warranty or no warranty when you convert you Wing to a trike
tfdeputydawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
jimz7

Default Woe is me

Just as I suspected. Thanks for the responses. Now that Honda has my letter in their possession, I guess my request for any warranty work would be in trouble. I will have to think about my options. I may just buy the wing and ride it for awhile and then get the trike put on at a later time if I don't feel comfortable on the two wheels, or just bite the bullet and go for it now. Just is a lot of Bucks to put out for questionable warranty coverage. Of course Honda has a great reputation for not having problems. That said, what if any problems have you all had with your gold Wings?
jimz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
calcliff

One thing I have been told by others it is usually less expensive to buy a Trike than to get your own converted.
calcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
bentwing02

Cal is right. Its considersbly cheaper to buy a used bike with the conversion done. Val is also correct about dealers. If you've got a history with a particular dealer or even several and they think of you as a valued customer, they will continue to work on your non-trike issues unless the problem is obviously caused by the conversion or the installer.

The trike will add weight, putting a heavier load on the trans. If you go with a permantly mounted trike, you should get the rake kit for the forks. That changes your steering geometry. There are numerous areas where a less reputable dealer or service shop would try to blame all problems on the conversion.

As much as possible, stay with who you know and have trusted in the past.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.
Randy
bentwing02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
tfdeputydawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcliff View Post
One thing I have been told by others it is usually less expensive to buy a Trike than to get your own converted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwing02 View Post
Cal is right. Its considerably cheaper to buy a used bike with the conversion done.

There is some truth in the above statements. One needs to be careful looking at "used units"! Some conversion dealers take used Wings, install conversions and try to sell @ just a few thousand under what a brand new converted bike would cost touting the new conversion as a justified reason for the inflated price being OK!
There are a few good installers out there that offer discounts off MSRP on these conversions. You do not have to pay full price.

Val is also correct about dealers. If you've got a history with a particular dealer or even several and they think of you as a valued customer, they will continue to work on your non-trike issues unless the problem is obviously caused by the conversion or the installer.
They may not continue to work on your trike because many are not set up to do so! If they don't sell trikes, they are most likely not to have the lifts needed for trikes and therefore will not work on them.
The trike will add weight, putting a heavier load on the trans.
The average kit will add approx. 300#'s to a Wing(give or take). Not a lot of added weight and I do not believe this is enough to induce undue stress on the Wings drive train.

If you go with a permanently mounted trike, you should get the rake kit for the forks.
Yes, to this. Rake kit a definite advantage on a trike!
tfdeputydawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Scooter1

Perhaps a good case for a Voyager or Tow Pac Insta Trike. It's not a permanent conversion and can be removed in a few minutes if you want to take the bike in for service work. On the Tow Pac only adds 150 pounds. They provide the stability you need at a fraction of the cost. New, cost 4-5k. Bought mine used in like new condition for 2k.

2005 Honda CB 900f 919 Hornet (Hercules)
2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 (a real man's scooter)
1995 GL 1500 Aspencade (sold)
1985 GL 1200 LTD (sold)
Scooter1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement