Pros & Cons Motorcycle Tire VS Car Tire - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Wheels and Tires

Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
JetMech

Default Pros & Cons Motorcycle Tire VS Car Tire

What are the pro and cons of each?
JetMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Roadwing
Banned

Good day, we sure are lucky that no one has tried to run a bicycle tire on a Goldwing, eh?
Roadwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Car tire rider here. All Pros here.

Last edited by Chopin; 10-26-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Chopin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
EFINREF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin114 View Post
Car tire rider here. All Pros here. The Cons are just the motorcycle tire manufacturer's.
+1 Car Tire here
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500
Darkside #1292 (Yeah, I'm keeping the #)

"It eases my mind to know, that in times like these, there have always been times like these."
Paul Harvey
EFINREF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Nayther

My Brother-in-law just fitted a car tire to his, seems to like it O.K. says it takes a bit more effort to lean it over but other than that its O.K.
Nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
detdrbuzzard
Super Moderator

well bleve it or not i put motorcycle tires on my wing last year
'84 gl1200 aspencade
'93gl1500se,
'85 cb450sc
'05 sunL 70

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
iba 58509
hat
detdrbuzzard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
BEVMAN

I am having a brand new set of Dunlop E-3 M/C tires mounted on my bike right now.

I researched the C/T threads but decided to stick with M/C tires at least for now.

To each his own!!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
2003 GL1800 POLICE

Everybody has their own opnion on this as there are many post on the subject. As an avid rider for 40+ years all I can tell you is you really need to experiance it for yourself. Some like it, some do not. Most with car tires get a LOT more miles out of their rubber but it does take a little more effort to roll the bike into a turn. As for myself after a FEW miles I got used to the roll over and LOVE my car tire! Most of my customers have switched over to the DARKSIDE (the term used for running a car tire on you're motorcycle) and really seem to like the ride. I spent a lot of time debaiting on this and finally had to try it. I removed my tire from my wing after 3500 miles and did a roll test in my shop. As to tread on the pavement you acutally have more rubber contacting the pavement with the car tire even on the roll piont! All I can tell you is as to the cost of a good car tire and instalation you should try it yourself to see if you like it. There are some that will tell you that you're insurance will not cover you're motorcycle if it has a car tire on it. All I can say is call yours but mine told me that as long as the tire was weight and speed rated for my motorcycle they did not care what I put on it. Although I try not to ride in the rain it sure is nice when I get caught in a shower to know that there is 7.5 inches of bubber below me touching the ground! Hope this helps.

Last edited by 2003 GL1800 POLICE; 10-25-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: closeing statement
2003 GL1800 POLICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Dookoo

I'm on my third CT (car tire) and do not see myself going back to a MT. I have one mounted on a rim that I use for comparison, but I now prefer the CT. The main drawback from using a CT is the associated yaw of the motorcycle when encountering uneven pavement. The lean of the bike is much more pronounced with a flatter profile tire. I only notice this on slow speed maneuvers and pretty much am ready to deal with the counter balancing it requires. A good friend of mine just switched back to MT because he didn't like having his Wing becoming unsettled momentarily while splitting lanes in stop and go traffic. I ride right behind him and suppose I deal with it better. Now the reasons for going Darkside are much more compelling. First, they last much longer. I average slightly less than double the mileage when using CT's. Second, CT's are much less expensive than their MT counterparts. I just paid less than $100 for a Falken ZE912 205/60/16. My last Kuhmo RF was about $160 delivered to my door. I just paid almost $200 for an E3 front tire! Second, CT's have much higher load ratings. The average Dunlop or Bridgestone MT is rated only for about 950 lbs whereas the average CT is rated for over 1200 lbs. This means a much cooler running tire under load (remember, the Wing is a very heavy bike) and also when running hard on the twisties. Third, CT's last much longer than their MT counterparts. I'm experience almost double the wear before replacement. Fourth, the available traction with a CT is undeniable. Look at all the biting edges as compared to a MT. Even the most die hard MT propoents won't dispute that a CT puts more rubber on the ground and more biting edges for wet and inclement conditions. Fifth, there are so many choices when running a CT. You only have Dunlop, Bridgestone, Avon, and Metzler for most of your MT choices. You can have many times more than that with a CT. Sixth, you have the option of running run flat RF or non run flat NRF. A RF definitely give you peace of mind, especially when two up to get you where you are going safely. However, I am now a NRF proponent as the compliant sidewall offers a much better ride, both for the pillion and for traction. Let's face it, the Wing is in a class by itself. It does not have the lean angle of the average motorcycle and it weights more than most. A CT is a very logical consideration for those who are open minded about their riding experience. If you end up not liking the ride, it is better to have expernienced it that to keep from understanding the benefits of a CT.
2006 Buell XB Lightning
2007 CRF450R
2006 CRF450X
and a bunch of old bikes that still run
Dookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
detdrbuzzard
Super Moderator

if i could find a ct that was the same height as the e3 i am using now i would try one buti don't want an increase in rpm's from using a shorter tire. don't know if the 1800 guys have this issue or not
'84 gl1200 aspencade
'93gl1500se,
'85 cb450sc
'05 sunL 70

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
iba 58509
hat
detdrbuzzard is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links