Poor night vision -- need BRIGHT LIGHTS - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
PickyBiker

Default Poor night vision -- need BRIGHT LIGHTS

My night vision isn't what it use to be so I want my 2012 airbag-less Goldwing to have the brightest possible driving and fog lights. I really need to reach out into the darkness with plenty of light to compensate. I am willing to add additional lights if that too will help.

Do you know/think your lights are the brightest? Let me know what they are.

2012 Goldwing GL1800 Motor Trike
12 Previously owned motorcycles including:
1 Harley, 4 Honda's, 3 Kawasaki's, 4 Yamaha's

Last edited by PickyBiker; 07-05-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Add Signature
PickyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

HID ( High Intensity Discharge ). I'm not recommending this site link, just giving you an example of the kit needed :http://www.customdynamics.com/hid_headlight_kits.htm
Old 07-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
detdrbuzzard
Super Moderator

hello pickybiker, welcome to GWOF
'84 gl1200 aspencade
'93gl1500se,
'85 cb450sc
'05 sunL 70

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
gwrra
ama
iba 58509
hat
detdrbuzzard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Dandy Dave

+1 for HIDs in the low beams.

For driving lights, the Clearwater Krista lights are beyond amazing.. low power draw, high lumen output, extremely high quality units. US made, billet housings, silver plated teflon insulated aircraft quality wire, no compromise components and engineering.
http://clearwaterlights.com/products2_pp.html
These go on PIAA brackets under the mirrors, in place of your Baker HandWings.

The PIAA P1100x lights do a good job, too. Fit under the cowl, neat little installation. A combination of the 2 would vaporize any errant deer at 150 yards..

=Dave=
Dandy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
budoka
Administrator

Quite a few 1800 riders have changed out their OEM lights for HIDs. I have the Hondaline LED fog lamps for being seen (more so than what they give for me) but they do add a wider spread in front of the bike if limited distance, and most regions have laws that limit auxilliary lighting to low beam operations only. I find the stock high beams more than adequate for my tastes (actually the best headlights I've ever had on any bike), but HID bulbs both high and low should help you out lots.
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Dandy Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
I find the stock high beams more than adequate for my tastes (actually the best headlights I've ever had on any bike), but HID bulbs both high and low should help you out lots.
Actually, the stock lights are the best I've had on ANY vehicle, bar none.. (IMHO)

HIDs aren't recommended for your high-beam application. The take a few seconds or so to come up to temperature and full brightness. Since the lows are always on, it doesn't matter, but when you need your brights, you often need them NOW! not in 10 seconds.. So a set of SilverStar Ultras in the high beam spots are probably your best choice. All of the super-bright bulbs are over-driven, so they have short life-spans, but that isn't a big deal on your brights, since you don't run them all that much.

=Dave=
Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
PickyBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
hello pickybiker, welcome to GWOF
Thanks for the welcome Detdrbuzzard
PickyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
budoka
Administrator

Oops, yes welcome indeed! I never thought about the delay in the hid's coming on slowly, that 'could' be an issue alright. A secondary system may be necessary for you. Just be sure to watch the local laws in your area, or anywhere else you may travel..
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) "BUSHI"... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
budoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Wildbuzz

Default LED's hooked to high beam circuit

I want to purchase LED driving lights for night driving under my mirrors. The dealer told me there is no way to attach it to the high beam circuit or I would ruin the "Stator" and fry my electrical system on my 07 Goldwing. He told me even though it is a low draw it can't be done. Is this true? I am not concerned with legality of it. But seriously what a pain to have another switch to turn off when driving in the mountains. Please help.
Thanks
Wildbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
Dandy Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbuzz View Post
I want to purchase LED driving lights for night driving under my mirrors. The dealer told me there is no way to attach it to the high beam circuit or I would ruin the "Stator" and fry my electrical system on my 07 Goldwing. He told me even though it is a low draw it can't be done. Is this true? I am not concerned with legality of it. But seriously what a pain to have another switch to turn off when driving in the mountains. Please help.
Thanks

IN MY OPINION.... He's full of crap.....

That said, a good quality set of LED driving lights, such as the Clearwater Lights or the PIAA 1100x usually come with their own relay, so you are only getting a trigger signal from your high beam circuit. If they don't, it's not that hard to rig a separate relay for them.
Florida Prowler #97
GWBBA #9
www.olddogmoto.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement