1981 Honda GoldWing 1100 no idle - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Engine Work

Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
ChevyBoy2009

Default 1981 Honda GoldWing 1100 no idle

Hey guys im new here and not so new with honda...i just recieved a 1981 Honda GoldWing 1100 from my uncle for free with only 30k on it...the bad its been sitting for the last 19 years IN a garage...heck he even put new tires on it before he parked it and it still has air,no cracks and still has the stickers on them!...its in really good shape and i got it running within 5 minutes...i tore the whole thing apart gas tank,carbs,everything you could think of and it runs great cruising down the road BUT it wont idle at all...ive checked the vaccum advance valve for vaccum and i do have vaccum,ive ran sea-foam thru it and seemed to help alittle but not much...i took the carbs to the Honda shop and they cleaned them but still nothing...new fuel filter,new battery,etc ive put in...any input would be nice!...sorry if this is in the wrong section but im lost here with my issue
ChevyBoy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
trike lady
Super Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the Classic Wing.
Here's some things to look into:
1. Incorrect carb sync
2. Incorrect pilot screw adjustment
3. Intake air leak
4. Incorrect idle speed
5. Lean fuel mixture
6. Rich fuel mixture
That's what comes to mind to me. Someone will follow me with more info.
Post a photo when you can
trike lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
allienfuel

Hello and welcome to the forum. there is a lot of great info here. you got one cool uncle. you say you took the crabs in and had them cleaned, so i am assuming you adjusted the idle screw when you reassembled. Have you synced the carbs yet? On another note new tires sitting around for 20yrs, is still 20 yr old rubber. Don't trust old rubbers they can blow out = bad day.

86 GL 1200 Interstate (Counselor)
82 GL 1100 Interstate (Twisted Clown)
84 V65 Magna (Yard Art)
81 XR 250 (Dirt Bike)
allienfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
ChevyBoy2009

He just showed up one day at my house and was like here want it??...heck ya i do!...i checked the rubber and driving prolly 100 miles on them and there is no cracking or weather rot at all,still look brand new....ive adjusted everything and tryed it in every position...even got new spark plugs!...the more i drive it,the better it gets with the idle...
Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Tatanka

Welcome to the GWOF and congratulations on your Classic Wing!

What exactly did the Honda shop do to clean them? Did they rebuild them?

My two cents: If it dies at idle and turning the idle speed adjustment screw makes no difference, it's starving for fuel = dirty pilot valve(s). 1oz/gal of Seafoam with fresh gas and some good 1-hour rides should help. The clue is your comment about riding it seeming to help with idle. An additive will speed up the cleanout of those hard to clean nooks and crannies in the carb.

You'll still want to do the other stuff as mentioned by Trike Lady.

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
1983 1100 named "Bobo"
IDMWT club #18

Last edited by Tatanka; 06-29-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Tatanka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
ChevyBoy2009

i took the carbs off and took them in...i told them to clean them and they said they did...didnt put anything new in i dont think...the more i run it the better it seems but hasnt gotten any better for awhile
Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
trike lady
Super Moderator

May need new idle jets.
trike lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Tatanka

Need more detail on what the shop did.
Did they disassemble the carbs, pull and clean the jets, fuel inlet needle valve, adjust float height, set the pilot screws according to spec, etc.?
If it's got little or no idle when warm, it may be dirty or poorly adjusted pilot screws. If the caps are still in the pilot screw holes and look older than new, then they were not adjusted. What did they charge for their work and will they help you resolve this?

Kevin
1983 1100 named "Bobo"
IDMWT club #18

Last edited by Tatanka; 06-30-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
ninja11zx

I have a 81 gl1100 here that is running very poorly. tring to clean the carbs now. is there a way to remove the pilot jets? looks like there pressed in there. if you cant remove them how would you clean them? thanks
ninja11zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Tatanka

The pilot screws are covered by a pressed in cap. You drill a hole in them, hook them with a tool and pull them out. I do not replace them when done.

Kevin
1983 1100 named "Bobo"
IDMWT club #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement