Proper tire pressure - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Fairfieldwizard

Default Proper tire pressure

So I have a 2007 'Wing with original tires. I installed one of the Show Chrome tire pressure monitoring system. I know understand the meaning of the phrase, "ignorance is bliss". I think I was better off without it.

The Goldwing owner's manual says the tire pressure should be 36 psi front and 41 psi rear. When cold, my TPMS shows the tire pressure to be 38 psi / 41 psi. But after riding today for an hour or so (warm day in Connecticut, rider and passenger 395 lbs) , the TPMS receiver was showing 41 psi on the front and 47 psi on the rear- high enough that it was giving me a high pressure alert message for the back tire.

The rear tire pressure seemed unreasonably high. But I couldn't really let any air out, because then cold, it would be below the Honda specs. I could also raise the alert threshold on the alarm, but I'm not sure that would be appropriate there. What are the right numbers? Alternatively, I could return to the "ignorance is bliss" state and remove the TPMS.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Last edited by Fairfieldwizard; 04-21-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Fairfieldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

Two or three pounds pressure difference when heated up is expected. Some of the pressure/ temperature change has to do with the tire. I run a car tire on the rear and by nature, or design, it runs cooler. Of course that 400 lbs of personnel is a contributing factor. Try it solo and take a reading. I don't have TPMS and probably never will but that shouldn't disqualify me from posting.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Ron Robertson
Lifetime Premium

I doubt that those pressure are out of line with a warm tire.
What are the max cold inflation pressure on the tire. If the tires aren't the same manufacturer and series that came on the bike new, the information in the owner's manual could be wrong for the tire.
I go by the information on the tire.
Works for me.
IDMWT #5
Ron Robertson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Scooter1

I think the function of a TPMS is more for low pressure and in the cast of a run flat c/t, no pressure. I'd ignore high pressure as long as you maintain proper pressures when tire is cold.

2005 Honda CB 900f 919 Hornet (Hercules)
2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 (a real man's scooter)
1995 GL 1500 Aspencade (sold)
1985 GL 1200 LTD (sold)
Scooter1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
knelson1969

Shortly after buying my 2012 my TPMS light came on for a few blocks then would go off by the time I got to the corner station to check the pressure and all would be fine?
this got worse and the light stayed on longer until finally the light stayed on. I bought a small compressor and checked the pressure first thing in the morning before moving the bike and I was surprised how low my tires were. once I adjusted the pressure cold all was fine and the light stays off.
you may bring your bike into a station that will fill your ride with Nitrogen and see if that will help with the normal but excessive tire pressure range. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think Nitrogen does not get affected that much by temprature.
1982 Yamaha Virago 920
198? Nighthawk 750
1989 Yamaha Venture Royal
1999 Harley Davidson FXWG
2002 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
2004 Harley Davdison FXWGFI
2004 Harley Davdison Fatboy
2010 Honda Fury
2010 Honda St1300
knelson1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
tfdeputydawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by knelson1969 View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think Nitrogen does not get affected that much by temperature.
True but, the air we breath or inflate with is 78% Nitrogen! Using Nitrogen has been "debunked" on many threads/posts. No way to purge of the "air" from a tire and have 100% Nitrogen!
The rule of thumb is for every 10 Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your tire's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).

Here's a very informative article on the subject:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=73
People used to think I was nuts talking about summer and winter air.
It all comes down to doing exactly what tire manufacturers have advised for years. Check your pressures cold(whatever cold is in your area). Check for impaled objects regularly. Don't waste money on TPMS's, unless you can adjust the point the "alarms" display.
tfdeputydawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
blk93wing

Cold tire pressure is before you start riding and before the tire starts to heat up. IMO recommended tire pressures are just that, a recommended starting point. Check the sidewall of the tire for max ratings,( max 2,000 lbs at 50 psi cold ) for instance. If you and your co-rider are of a larger build with the bags fully loaded (Goldwingers NEVER overload a motorcycle), pulling a trailer, 41 psi may not be enough air to support that load. Check your tires for irregular wear, irregular wear may be corrected by adding a few more lbs of air pressure, but DO NOT EXCEED THE MAX AIR PRESSURE RATING on the tire. Our chapter educator did an article on GWVR and he had stated that a GL can take 412 lb of rider, passenger and contents to bring it to fully loaded. Guess what, between my co-rider and myself, we're overloaded before leaving the driveway.
blk93wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
joe in calif

I had an after market TPMS on my 08, for about 4 months and than I sold it. Never use it to check the correct air pressure, they can and will be off by a pound or two. You can reset the alert signals both high and low points on them, kind of complicated to do but it can be done. If you have one it's best use is to alert you if your getting a flat tire. Your tire air pressure and temp will rise as you ride. Most wing riders run 38 front and 40 rear. The suggested pressure by Honda is for the OEM tires and the air pressure on the side wall of the tires are the MAX air pressure you should run. I ran 38 & 40 in my 02 & 08

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
joe in calif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Chopin
Lifetime Premium

My KUMHO Run Flat tire rating: Max. Load 1,201 @ 51 PSI. My riding pressure is 32 PSI cold.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Scooter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin114 View Post
My KUMHO Run Flat tire rating: Max. Load 1,201 @ 51 PSI. My riding pressure is 32 PSI cold.
How did you pick 32 psi Lee on your c/t? Do you change pressure with a passenger?

2005 Honda CB 900f 919 Hornet (Hercules)
2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 (a real man's scooter)
1995 GL 1500 Aspencade (sold)
1985 GL 1200 LTD (sold)
Scooter1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement