Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

33K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  blk93wing 
#1 ·
I'm going to replace both tires on my 95 aspencade for the first time. I was thinking of buying E3's off the internet ($300) and having a dealer install. I can remember from my 1200 that it is not cheep. I know there is a good bit of labor time involved.Can you give me an average price or hours required for front and rear tire install.Thanks

#2 ·
i had the dealer install a dunlop 404 on my 1200 wing, cost about $100 for the rear. when i got the e3's i had an independent shop do the install, $140 front and rear

#3 ·
lunger, most places have both on bike and off bike pricing for tires, call and ask. When I had tires put on, my bike was already in for some warranty service, bought E3 tires from the dealer and had them installed while the bike was on the lift. Total cost was $532

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. the last time I had tires put on my 1200. I also had some other work done so I can't remember (thats happening more and more) exactly how much I paid. But I was thinking the installation cost more than the tires. About $800 for Bridgestones and the install. I also believe they would not quote me a price and charged by the hour. Maybe I'll shop around a little. thanks again

#6 ·
Well, I must admit I'm somewhat confused by this post.

#8 ·
AMEN..........

#9 ·
I take about an hour and a half to change out my front tire and the rear takes 2-3 hours depending on if I'm in a mindset to get it done. One of the last times I did it, it was 95 degrees outside with 100% humidity, down right ugly, sweating uncontrolably, so it took a little longer.

#10 ·
Not being that inclined to do my own work anymore, I'd call about three shops and get quotes for doing the changeovers. Get pricing with them supplying the tyres, and with you outsourcing them and them doing the work only. Newer GL's with ABS and the airbags will likely take a bit longer as there is a bit more removal and re-assembly work. Always do a thorough before and after inspection list and make sure nothing is amiss when you pick the bike up.
One huge bonus to doing the wheel removal yourself is being able to clean the wheels of all that hard to get road grime and brake dust that can be such a pain when the wheels are on the bike.

#12 ·
Tire pricing

I think I am doing ok with a new E3 rear tire installed for $225.00 by my local motorcycle mechanic. I am ordering it through him and he is changing the tire, just to clarify. I probably should have the front one changed also but I think I can squeeze a few more thousand miles out of it. I will have the front tire changed before the season is over. I have put over 15k on the rear before I needed to change it. How is that for tire mileage?

#13 ·
I think I am doing ok with a new E3 rear tire installed for $225.00 by my local motorcycle mechanic. I am ordering it through him and he is changing the tire, just to clarify. I probably should have the front one changed also but I think I can squeeze a few more thousand miles out of it. I will have the front tire changed before the season is over. I have put over 15k on the rear before I needed to change it. How is that for tire mileage?
I had a tiny screw in my rear so I would say I had to change it out a few thousand miles before its time. She still had good service tread at 13,000 miles. It was a Dunlop E2. A very noisy tire to say the least. My E2 front tire is still road worthy at 14,200 miles. It has minor cupping and the left side wear difference. I'm going to nurse it through the year.

#18 ·
I took the wheels off myself and it cost me $256 out-the-door for a Stone 709 up front and a Falken 912, 195x55x16 on the rear. This also included $20 wasted to get local Honda shop to balance the rear which wasn't needed. Therefore If I had known total would have been $236.

#19 ·
I have been researching tire prices....here in the Atlanta area I am being quoted $296.00 for the E3 tire, and a Bridgestone is only $269!! I sure have sticker shock! Mounting ranges from $55 to $100 depending on how hard it is to change.....all this for a new GW with only 1000 miles on it! What a waste! Slow leak...too small and in a bad place [side of tread patch] to patch on the inside.
Just thought I would let you know the Atlanta GA prices in 2010!

#21 ·
Search on-line for tire prices, if a dealership wants the business get them to compete price wise. $296 for an E3 on a 1800, I would expect it if I brought them bike in and had them do the whole job. A 1800 has what 5 lug nuts holding the rear tire on? I swapped out the rear wheel on my 1500 in about two hours(I've done it so many times I'm getting good at it). I'm glad I can do most of my own work!

#24 ·
I just had my new 'Stone mounted on the rear by my local Honda dealer. He charged me $67.50 [tax included] to take the tire off, dismount the dead tire and mount the new tire, then balance the new tire. He took about an hour, while I waited and now I hope it lasts longer than the original tire (1100 miles)[brad puncture]
chrisgl1800

#28 ·
I personally don't worry about time as I am lucky to get more than 18 months out of tires before I wear them out. Time wise, I hear every three to five years. Key is proper tire inflation and tire care (keeping tires out of direct sunlight during storage, out of any chemicals, etc.). Inspect your tires for any damage before each ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.