Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New to Wings and want to do it right!

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Wingstuff.com 
#1 ·
Hello Y'all! Greetings from Utah. My name is Dave Ingraham and became a Goldwing owner about 2 months ago with my first wing. She's a 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with 141xxx miles on her and l love riding her but...

I'll start off in the beginning. I had a 2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750 with several add-ons and 55xxx miles. Great bike for short jaunts but did a few 750 mile days and decided my next bike would be a full dress touring for the power and comfort levels.:eekers: I've been riding for 27 years and decided to step it up to a higher level.

Found this wing, did a quick, little research about how many miles are achievable with the wings, and decided to trade straight across for the shadow. Did a quick test ride. Radio turned on, CB does not. Cruise Control turns on, but does not actuate. Found a few "little" things wrong, but nothing I wasn't used to living without. Still loved the bike and traded.

I was located in Southern NM when I traded and rode it around town for about a month and quickly realized she probably sat for a while and just recently got brought back into service. Found out that these 1500's are good at smoking at start up in the mornings, they like to warm up before riding, etc but nothing serious stood out.

We have relocated back to our farm in Utah since then. Decided I trusted the girl enough to take her on a 250 mile trip. I should really save the rest of this for my technical post, but....

Back to what I said earlier, I seen signs that the girl had sat for a while. The trip proved it. The tires have flat spots that I did not feel with the city riding. Some high speed turns felt really uneasy. Didn't like it. Being December, I also found there is not a thermostat in the engine. She never really warmed up. The leg warmers didn't work either. 28 degrees felt pretty cool and was really wishing they were working. 105 miles at 28 degrees and I was ready for the electric heater to be my resting spot for a little while.

Now, the rest will be in the technical forum, but I now have another project for this winter. Go from front tire to rear tire and get the girl done right. Get a great baseline for a proper maintenance schedule. I obviously love the wing and willing to spend the time and money on such a great bike.

Looking forward to many more miles on her and happy trails to everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!
Congrats on owning one of the most comfortable Wings built so far.
Don't expect too much from the "leg warmers" as you call them.It's not like a car heater and I've never heard of anyone running without a t-stat in a Wing.All those vents do is channel the air that blows over the exhaust and motor.As far as performance,I'm pretty sure once you get it running right you won't need any upgrades to the motor.If you really feel the need though the Valkrye has a more performance oriented 1500 in it.Hotter cams and 6 carbs instead of two.Be prepared for crappy fuel mileage if you go that way.By the sounds of those tires that are on your bike I wouldn't have taken them out of town much less ridden them for 250 miles.Because of the weight of these things a good tire is barely good enough,never mind one that has sat for a while.

#3 ·
Welcome to the GWOF from Pa. You are in the right place Dave for help with your new found love.

There are a great bunch of guys here and a good mechanical force in the 1500 family. Ask your questions and you will receive opinions and answers.

Roll up those sleeves and let's get to it!:doublethumb:

#5 ·
Hello and welcome to the GWOF from South Jersey. Hope you enjoy your new bike.!!

#7 ·
Welcome from Mississippi. You are in the right spot for friendly advice.

#8 ·
Welcome to the site, Dave. The mid- to late-90s get a lot of praise here. We've got a few who had late model 1500s, moved to 1800s only to go back to the 1500. Should be a great bike for you once you get it up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.