Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What are the general differences between Goldwings prior to 2001, 2001-2011, and 2012

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  blk93wing 
#1 ·
As you can see from my post count I'm new to the board. I have not yet bought my Goldwing. I'm interested in triking a Goldwing for my wife's solo ride and for when we want to ride 2-up. She's not comfortable riding on the back of a two wheeler.

What are the general differences between Goldwings prior to 2001, Goldwings between 2001-2010, and Goldwings after 2010? I'm not looking for a laundry list of options--just the major differences. For instance, I understand that the motor changed from 1500 to 1800 in 2001. I also understand that the bikes prior to 2001 were more angular but became more curvy in 2001.

I test rode a 2002 and was pleasantly surprised at the smoothness of the ride and the quietness of the engine. I was less than positively affected by the riding position and the closeness of the handlebars. I ride a VTX 1300 and am more familiar with having my feet out in front of my knees and with there being a bit more gas tank between me and the handlebars.

I've read that the 2001-2010 Goldwings were shorter in the tank than the Goldwings prior to 2001. Is this true? Is the 2012 Goldwing longer in this regard?

Is the riding position upright on all model years, or was that limited to the 2001-2010 models?

What major differences can you tell me about?

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum. The 1500 series 1988-2000 has more 'room' than the 1800.

#4 ·
Welcome Big Blue from PA. My friend Two Wheel has you pointed in a good direction. All kinds of info for you to read and Tank is correct also about the room on a 1500.

#5 ·
hello big blue, welcome to GWOF. the only way you are going to get your feet in front of you on a wing is by having highway boards or pegs

#6 ·
Welcome Big Blue from your neighbor to the West. One thing you should know is the position of your is an easy transition. I changed from a Boulevard to a Wing. I stayed with pegs and haven't looked back.

#8 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The GL1500 engine has hydraulic tappets and the 1800 you have to check valve clearance.
The 1500 is more spacious and the rider sits further back, the 1800 you sit a little bit more forward; that one inch can mean a lot.

#10 ·
Never really got that feet forward thing. All the bikes I've owned have been along the lines of a the Goldwing position. MAybe I feel more comfortable in a sportier postion. Everytime I start getting into the twisties, if I'm on the highway pegs, my feet head to the pegs. Just feel better balanced there on the pegs. Just may take some time to adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.