Headlight adjustments on GL1800 - Honda Goldwing Forums
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Honda Goldwing Forums > Goldwing Motorcycle Discussion Forums > Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion

Old 10-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Radarsdad

Question Headlight adjustments on GL1800

I recently bought an '08 Goldwing and rode it home to Vegas from Salt Lake City. I had to ride about two hours after dark and noticed that even with the headlight adjustment knob set to the highest position, I was "overdriving" my headlights much more than I felt comfortable with.

The high beams (when I could use them) worked great but I feel I could use a little more range from the low beams.

Does anyone know if there is a manual adjustment to bring the low beams up just a tad?

Thanks in advance

R
Radarsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
joe in calif

This is looking up under the front of the bike, there is one nut on each side.

joe in calif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Radarsdad

Thanks Joe! Is there anything about wings you don't know?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
joe in calif

Well after having 6 of them I know a little, just enough to keep it out of the repair shop.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Radarsdad

Geez,
How friggin' easy was that. Turned the lights on, put the 12mm socket and ratchet on the adjusters and watched the beams climb up the garage door. Now I just have to get them on the street after dark to fine tune 'em.

Thanx again Joe!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Radarsdad

Well I did it! After two and a half months of daytime riding, I finally found myself riding home in the dark this New Year's Eve and I must say, I was very impressed with the headlight brightness after having adjusted them up from their factory setting.

I rode this bike from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas when I bought it in October with the last two hours in the dark. The factory adjustment would have been sufficient for maybe about 35 MPH. At 75+, I was seriously overdriving them.

If you're on a new Wing and your lights seem a bit low, Read Joe's previous post to this thread and you'll be amazed at how much better you'll see at night. If it wasn't New Year's Eve here in Vegas, I'd be tempted to go for another night ride.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
rickfrl

i had the same issue on my 08. In fact i seen this post, read Joe's solution, copied the pictures and headed for the garage. 5 minutes later i was fixed, and riding safe. Like you said, about 35 mph you were ok, but much more than that, you were really outdriving the lights. Thanks for the thread, and Joe, thanks for the tip. rick
rickfrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
joe in calif

Your welcome. I used that to align the lights on my 02 so they were even, Honda sets the headlight from the factory, one lower and one higher, if you have a Gold Wing following you it almost looks like one headlight is out because it is aimed so low. The headlight on my 08 came from Honda aimed even. I don't do much riding at night but glad it helped you guys.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
hobbit1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarsdad View Post
I recently bought an '08 Goldwing and rode it home to Vegas from Salt Lake City. I had to ride about two hours after dark and noticed that even with the headlight adjustment knob set to the highest position, I was "overdriving" my headlights much more than I felt comfortable with.

The high beams (when I could use them) worked great but I feel I could use a little more range from the low beams.

Does anyone know if there is a manual adjustment to bring the low beams up just a tad?

Thanks in advance

R

Hi Radarsdad;
Just so you know,there is also a gross adjustment knob you can turn to adjust all four lights at once if your motor adj. isn't giving you what you want. It is located right near your left forkleg,reaching in from the top. It is a knob, so no tools necessary.Sent pics,look for the red dot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlightknob1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	183   Click image for larger version

Name:	headlightknob2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	184  

Last edited by hobbit1800; 01-02-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add text
hobbit1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Radarsdad

Default More stuff I didn't know...

Thanks Hobbit!

It's always nice to learn new things about my machine. My high beams seem to reach out quite well. It was the low beams that were the issue. I think I'm getting the best out of all four now but will take it out on a remote stretch of road and double check them all when I get a chance.

Thanks again for the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement