Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

wobble

5K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  crownfire 
#1 ·
I get this from time to time , I turned left to go into a liquor store and it felt like the front tire was going to fall off , started shaking really bad so I pulled over looked at every thing , seemed normal I then went straight and it kinda continued wobbling , picked up speed and it seemed to have went away , when I got home I kept doing circles to try and make it do it again and of course it didnt , help anyone?

#2 ·
And you weren't drinking????:nono::icon_drink:

#3 ·
Are you sure it just isn't a low speed wobble/shake. Some put the Super Brace on the fork with good results. That fixed the low speed wobble/shake on my 1500 have had that happen again in almost 20ty years now.

#4 ·
That's what I was wondering.
Just stopped in for a refill, cause ran out of what you were drinking.
All kidding aside, I have a wobble on mine turning right.
The front tire is worn on the right from trike kit being out of alignment.
Sometimes if the rear tire is out of alignment it will cause a wobble.

#5 ·
Not drinking , tires only have 6000 miles on them and tire pressure is normal

#6 ·
When I first got mine I used to have, what I call, a shudder every time I slowed to a stop. I thought it was just me, learning how to slow this beast down. After I did the Traxxion upgrade, this all went away and it has been smooth as silk ever since. Four years now.

#11 ·
Maybe someone is trying to tell you something about going to the liquor store.:SmackGlass:

#14 ·
it comes and goes but yesterday was the worst its ever been , felt like the fender was tearing into the tire , then it stopped

#16 ·
Hmmmmm, seems to me someone just had there fork seals replaced...& this "wobble just started after the fork seals? Or has it just gotten worse? Wings have this wobble, but I'm thinking maybe the dealer didn't do something right. I'd call the and say something & see their response.

Mark

#17 ·
Well we al know of the 1800 "wobble". So there are many who have had it, some who put up with it, some who have claimed to fix it.

Usually something along these lines.

1) Different tires (yours are new so I would eliminate this)
2) Check & retorque Steering head bearing
3) Install "All Balls") Steering head bearing if #2 checks out
4) Install Superbrace
5) Install "Traxxion upgrades

I have never experienced the wobble although I have only ever ridden one 1800 & it was a only a few times for limited mileage.

If you can deal with it until our next work session we will jack the front end up & check the steering head bearing.

It may be worth the phone call like Mark says.

#21 ·
any special super brace i should buy?

#19 ·
My question is not motorcycle related. If you own your own liquor store why would you be going to another :HappyRoll: ??
If it got worse after the dealer worked on it????? Maybe they were in a hurry and didnt tighten something???

#20 ·
I have to agree that something may have been improperly done or missed. I'd say a return trip to the dealership is in order.

#24 ·
I have a stupid question but can the wobble be dangerous? I mean the wobble today felt like a earth quake

#27 ·
Might want to check the tire for cord separation.
1. Bike on center stand, wear boots to do this not just socks.
2. Jack front of bike up just enough to get the tire so it just clears the ground. and slowly spin the wheel watching to see if the distance between the tire and the ground changes.
3. then while watching the one sidewall at a time see if the distance between the sidewall and the fender changes.
Might help find a tire problem

#28 ·
Did all the above everything looks straight as a arrow

#29 ·
GORDO!

Daggnabbit man....Call the dealer that did your fork seals and tell them your front end is wobbling out of control since they did the seals...They did something wrong (Or didn't do something) I'll bet they didn't set the front end before tightening the tubes!

Mark

#30 ·
I called already they said they are sure they didnt miss nothing, but I can bring it in and they can look at it but get charged by the hour

#31 ·
If they did something wrong they need to fix it for free. You know, make it right. I wouldn't take that crap man. Raise immortal hell in the show room a minute and they'll probably want to see what they can do to help you.

#32 ·
Well Gordo, If that's their attitude, I guess you need to find another dealer. & I would call Mother Honda's customer service & complain. Let them know what's going on...

I know it's frustrating, but something needs to be done.

I would try loosening the pinch bolts & the axle, then pushing up & down on the bars compressing & releasing the forks a couple of times. then tighten the left pinch bolt, then the axle, then the right pinch bolt & see if that helps...

Mark

#36 ·
if that tis the only time it ever happens, and you cant make it happen anywhere else then I would suspect something with the road for sure.

Could be that the road just so happens to line you up just right to reveal the condition, but sounds like maybe the road itself is lumpy or something??

#37 ·
I will check this turn tomorrow , ive tried and tried many turns to make the wing wobble but cant make it happen , its happened 3 times to me really bad and all 3 were on this turn and the right turn when I go onto this road , wondering if there is some kind of seal coat ir something thats making this happen

#38 ·
Are there a bunch of tar snakes at that spot? My bike acted wierd in north Georgia one time enough to make me pull over. I realized the road was full of tar to seal up the cracks and it made it seem like the back tire was loose.

#39 ·
Mark that is exactly how it sounds to me , it scares the hell out of me

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.