Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Death wobble

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  LarryinSeattle 
#1 ·
Brother has 90 SE Goldwing. 55,000 miles. New Tires and Running balancing beads.
At 35 mph, bike goes into a bad death wobble, and will leave at about 40.

WHAT IN HELL IS CAUSING THIS ? It just started this.
Scared the devil out of him and his wife today.

......... thanks,
two guns

#2 ·
There has been lots of discussion on this but mostly where the 1800 is concerned. When did this first start to occur...is it a new, recent event or what? Has he had tires replaced or any such thing done with the front end? It could be anything from improperly torqued or worn steering head bearings to improper tire inflation and/or suspension balance. Does it happen with both hands on the bars, accellerating or decellerating, in corners or straight...you see where this is a multi-faceted issue. There is likely no single cause but likely a combination of several. Honda themselves are at a loss as to why some of the 1800s are bad with this wobble and yet others will exhibit (like mine) almost no sypmtoms at all. I'd first check pressures, then suspension, and then tire tread condition. Wear pattern often indicates what corrective action is necessary, but it takes a trained eye to go from there usually. If nothing comes up there, then the head bearings need to be addressed and soon.

#3 ·
I have a 94 with 48,000 miles. The wobble at 35 and stops at 40 is new on mine.... in the last 1,000 miles. My tire in the front is not down to the wear bars, but the tire is cupped and therefore I am replacing it on Monday.

I will report back to this thread what the results are on the new tire.

In the last 22,000 miles, I have had two high speed (over 70 mph) tank slapping wobbles that was caused by rapid deceleration with my bike loaded with camping gear. Fortunately, I accelerated and the wobble disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

#5 ·
The OP says new tires and beads, I would suggest that the tires are out of round or they are not seated properly or they are out of balance. Are they mounted in the right direction (look at the arrow on the side wall) Also check the air pressure.

#6 ·
When I said new tires, I should of said tires with 900-1100 miles.

When he told me of the situation, I told him it was prob a balance problem. We installed beads. Still not help. But I will check the direction.

Air pressure, he's running 41 lbs front, 44 back

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.